Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Balerno mountain bikers
  • Dair
    Free Member

I am moving to Balerno at the end of the month, and I am wondering if there are mountain bikers in the area who regularly meet up for rides in the Pentlands (especially on week nights)?

robgarrioch

There's a few who've been doing recent group rides etc. Dair, try searching 'pentlands' in the forum box ^^>> & you'll pick up some names.
    eg. the end of this thread from a couple of weeks back.
    Quite a few go in from Bonaly, which aint far off, but I think we're due a couple of starts from the Balerno end soon. Looking to obtain some proper lights meself soon too…..

epicsteve
    Free Member

There are quite a few STW riders in Balerno (including me) but as far as I'm aware there aren't any organised rides (or perhaps I just don't get invited!).

ojom
    Free Member

Glen More comes from Balerno and knows the pentlands like the back of his hand.

We would be happy meeting up for a ride or 5 and giving route advice if needed.

Dair
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I am moving from Colinton, so I am familiar with the Bonaly start, a.k.a. "Puke Hill!" I have only ever ridden once on the west side of the Pentlands (up yellow brick road and over to Nine Mile Burn?) and it was fantastic, but I get the feeling that I would benefit from some local knowledge to get the most out of it. I'm also afraid of the dark… safety in numbers!

There are quite a few STW riders in Balerno (including me) but as far as I'm aware there aren't any organised rides (or perhaps I just don't get invited!)

New beginnings…

jimmy

I'm keen to ride Pentlands at night for some winter training once I'm back up in the Burgh. How about just naming a night and a place and go from there?

Dair
    Free Member

Good stuff. Would someone (a current Balerno local perhaps) be able to suggest a good meeting point?

Unfortunately, this week isn't great for me, but why don't we gauge interest and aim to get a few folk out for a ride next Wednesday evening?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I reckon the best meeting point is the car-park where the bottle banks etc. are. I think it's better to start in Balerno itself rather than the Harlaw or Thriepmuir car-parks because that the group can ride the Nail Trail on the way back down.

Kit
    Free Member

Gents, your company is duly requested this weekend 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/righto-pentlands-ride-sunday-8th-november

Happy to be led on a night ride too sometime.

NZCol

*moderate hijack*
    I'm being suckered into moving back to Edinburgh. Would probably live somewhere centralish (New Town, Stockbridge) unless theres somewhere nicer since i last lived there (14years – used to own a flat in comely bank). One thing that makes me all sweaty and paniced is not being able to ride my bike – a lot, and run, offroad, and paddle but I can accept that one being less likely. Tell me, how ling to ride from Princes St to Pentlands for a ride, and back ? I just have no concept of distance any more !

Stu_N

I work on Lothian Road. Head out the Canal and Water of Leith Railway to Colinton/ Currie/ Balerno. From work I have about 1/2 mile on the road then it's all offroad. I can be at the top of Maidens Cleuch or Bavelaw in an hour.

Closest start point (Colinton) is about 25 mins by bike. It's quicker on the way home cos it's downhill. Top of Harbour Hill to West End is doable in about 30 mins.

🙂

AlasdairMc

NZCol – I ride from Fountainbridge to Bonaly in about 20 minutes (there are a few wee singletrack diversions), so it's easily possible to do it as part of a normal ride from Princes St.

Everyone else – I might be up for a ride a week on Wednesday, but I'm dashing through to Glasgow Airport after work so may be too late for y'all.

I too am a Balerno resident, as is the departed Druidh, Dr.T and a couple of others not mentioned yet on this thread.

I personally recommend either the corner of Harlaw Road, or the bus terminus depending how far up the hill everyone lives (no point losing altitude on the road). Nail Trail is a great finisher when it's not muddy.

ojom
    Free Member

I commute to/from Balerno. The shop is in the Canonmills area, so not far from Comely Bank. Takes me just over 30 minutes in in the morning and up to 55 minutes on the way home depending on wind and how "up for it" I am.

As far as paddling is concerned, there is a pretty active canoe club on the Union Canal near Slateford, but also remember that the Scottish Land Access laws also apply to waterways, so you can paddle almost anywhere you want.

Colin

NZCol

Excellent work chaps, appreciate it. So whats a nice place to live. 2 mid thirties active people with nae mates ! not into larging it but not slippers yet. Short commute acceptable as in about 45m by bike or bus/train.

Kit
    Free Member

NZCol, I live in Comely Bank and depending on the route, it can take up to an hour to get up to the Pentlands (i.e. if you go along the Water of Leith to Balerno, then up to Harlaw). By road, its maybe 40mins up to Colinton/Bonaly, and I would not consider myself particularly fit.

(and its still nice down here, by the way)

NZCol

I'm totally flexible about where to live btw. Work would be Princes St area.

jimmy

there is an Edinburgh Kayak club, too. A few pals go and they regular trips out.

Can't wait to be back in the Burger.

Dair
    Free Member

NZCol – "moderate hijack" forgiven.

If you are looking to mountain bike and run off-road , I would suggest getting as close to the Pentlands as you can. The surprising thing about Edinburgh is just how close the hills are – the by-pass is roughly a 30 minute run from the city centre.

I currently live in Colinton Village, which is only 3/4 mile from the tracks up into the Pentlands – ideal for hill running – yet only a 25 minute bus journey from Princes Street.

You should look at anywhere south-west of Shandon, preferably close to the Union canal and/or Water of Leith.

13thfloormonk

NZCol, there's a surprising amount of good singletrack before you even reach the Pentlands, link Arthur's Seat with Blackford Hill, the Hermitage, the Braids, Mortonhall and then Dreghorn and I reckon there's an hour's worth of decent riding, all out of the weather too…

That's where i spend the worst of the winter nights, hiding in the trees 😀

robgarrioch

i spend the worst of the winter nights, hiding in the trees

…prepares for impending thread twist…

AlasdairMc

NZCol – Currie/Balerno/Juniper Green are all served by the 44 bus, or are a straight ride into town along the Lanark Road. Hometime allows for diversion to Bonaly and then on to the hills from there.

Colinton is also served by a decent bus service, right up to Bonaly or Torphin depending where you choose to reside.

The one thing about all of these areas is that they're definitely commuter villages, i.e. no nightlife whatsoever other than 'local' pubs.

robgarrioch

Local Pubs For Local People! 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

So which one are you, Rob 😉

NZCol

AlasdairMc – I'm not exactly what you would describe as a party animal. My idea of a good night out is a few quiet beers in a pub followed by some slaughtered animal in chilli sauce. All after a long, filthy and scary bike ride 🙂
    Right some food for thought, still chewing over the options at the moment. Not good at life changing decisions and this appears to be one !

ojom
    Free Member

Hey NZCol

The joy of living and working in Edinburgh is you can live pretty much anywhere you want and you are never really that far from anywhere.

I live exactly 2miles from the shop door. 30mins walk or about 5mins riding allowing for lights etc.

Same applies when out drinking of a weekend. If you canny get a taxi (this is common!) then just shrug the shoulders and get a pace on. Bosh!

Try looking in areas like Bruntsfield, Marchmont, Newington (thats where i am), Parkside, Loanhead (admittedly not in the bypass limit but cheap as hell to live in and actually only a short easy commute to city centre), Portobello/Joppa.

It is a top place to live.

Mark

NZCol

Lovely. As I say used to live in Comely Bank so have vague memories of it being quite nice. Giving up my ocean view, sunny, secluded lifestyle for a flat might be a touch hard but the plus side is i can get a proper curry and a haggis supper ! We'll see what the jury says and then work out whether we take the plunge or not 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Balerno mountain bikers’ is closed to new replies.