Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Baguette and/or sandwich aesthetics over functionality rant
  • kayak23

THE INGREDIENTS OF A BAGUETTE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE INSIDE OF THE BREAD, NOT ALONG THE FLIPPIN EDGE!

I mean, I’m all for good presentation with food and realise that the ingredients perched tantalisingly along the opening serves the purpose of wooing the sandwich enthusiast, but really…

Every time I buy a baguette, I have to spend my time prodding the ingredients back into the actual bread-cavity so as they don’t all spill all over the floor!

I just had a nice brie and cranberry example. The cheese was positioned satisfactorily but the cranberry sauce was such that I suspect it had been ‘piped’ along the bread-crevasse with a silicone gun!

Baguette makers, HAVE A WORD!

***A baguette yesterday, featuring loading biased toward fashion, not function.

Rant over!

Coyote
    Free Member

You make a good point. The baguette can promise so much yet deliver so little. A well constructed sandwich however is a true delight.

cchris2lou

it is marketing to make you believe you are getting lots of ingredients in your baguette .

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The french know how to make a proper baguette sarnie. Greggs, definitely do not. In fact Greggs have completely lost the plot in making anything even half edible*

* sausage rolls and steak slices excepted

spawnofyorkshire

^ That’s a picture of a sub roll not a baguette

thepurist

A well placed grill can seal the most recalcitrant fillings inside a sandwich, though the risks from leakage do go up.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Baguettes are actually a pretty poor sandwich body, especially if, as is typical, a hinge is maintained. The Ciabatta would soon take over thanks to its superior structural integrity if only people weren’t determined to bake them to the palatability of shoe leather in order to make them go extra crispy when toasted.

On an separate note my bread-geek side takes umbrage with calling that a baguette. It appears to be some kind of enriched dough baton.

binners

You never have this problem with a pasty

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

baguettes also tear the roof of your mouth to shreds.

pictonroad

tis but a tiny irritation when compared to the horror of eating a soft filling in a crunchy baguette.

Was half way through an avocado and crayfish abomination when an attractive woman starting engaging with me (rare enough). The ensuing carnage as I tried to stop the baguette contents slithering into my lap showed up as utter revulsion on the poor victims face.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You want it all on the inside?

Have a wrap.

Or a pasty.

Or (mostly) a sausage roll

Edit: See also: samosa

spawnofyorkshire

But you do have the inferno moment when you bite into what you think is a nice temperate pasty and suddenly molten ‘steak’ gravy greets the top of your mouth and tongue like it’s the bastard step-child returning home from borstal

binners

Was half way through an avocado and crayfish abomination

I think I’ve spotted your problem.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have a wrap.

BAN HIM MODS! BAN HIM. Bloody wraps…

bikebouy
    Free Member

scotlandthedave – Member

+ 1 this ^^

Currently flavour in Town is Twice Baked Baguettes with pesto replacing butter and then all sorts of crap as a filling.. Nice that may sounds, twice baked bread is a stupid idea.

Thankfully you don’t get Sushi in a bun. 😀

binners

spawnofyorkshire – everyone knows that a steak bake or cheese and onion pasty will contain a pocket within that is hotter than the surface of the sun

binners

BAN HIM MODS! BAN HIM. Bloody wraps…

Woooooah there. Not so fast. Not all wraps are the same….

Solo
    Free Member

Brie? = fat
    Cranberry sauce? = refined carbs
    Bread? = refined carbs

Ooooo. You’ll never burn all that off, ranting like that ^^^ go for a run….. now, NOW! Before it’s too late. Aargh!
    😉

spawnofyorkshire

spawnofyorkshire – everyone knows that a steak bake or cheese and onion pasty will contain a pocket within that is hotter than the surface of the sun

It’s like they looked at the McDonalds Apple Pie and thought “That’s just not evil enough, how can we scald everybody on the highstreet”

Solo
    Free Member

That’s just not evil enough, how can we scald everybody on the highstreet”

Napalm?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I remember buying a prawn sandwich from a café in Cornwall. There was a nice neat line of prawns along the visible edge of the sandwich and bugger all else further back.
    It must be quite a skill to build a sandwich in such a stingy way.

brassneck

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypcSHTLlK8E[/video]

Nigel Tufnell would agree

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

binners, honestly, why would you get a breakfast wrap when you get a mcmuffin?

MrNice
    Free Member

until you bite into one edge of a steak bake and have a pyroclastic flow of super-heated “meat” slurry burst out of the bottom melting the flesh from your fingers and bespoiling your shirt

Drac

You’ve been going to shit sandwich shops.

Ooops! Sweary video removed.

bearnecessities

Baguettes are only any good:

Cut widthways, garlic buttered and baked crispy.

Broken by hand and eaten with chunks of proper butter.

Hollowed and stuffed full of bacon and brie.

binners

DaveyBoyWonder – obviously no sane-minded person would forsake the unbridled joy of the double sausage and egg McMuffin for a mere wrap.

But I just thought I’d highlight the existance of the Heart Attack Wrap for the uninitiated who thought that all wraps must be some abomination that contains sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers and goats cheese

lemonysam
    Free Member

Baguettes are only any good:

Cut widthways, garlic buttered and baked crispy.

Broken by hand and eaten with chunks of proper butter.

Hollowed and stuffed full of bacon and brie.

In France

Solo
    Free Member

Hollowed and stuffed full of bacon and brie

During my time in France I witnessed the preferred condiment for baguette consumption was Stella artois.

MoreCashThanDash

If you really want to bespoil a shirt, may I recommend Greggs Five Bean Mexican flatbread.

The bits that get in your mouth taste devine. The bits that fall onto your shirt out the other end are a bugger to get out in the wash.

And combining five types of bean, salsa and jalapenos does wonders for the “other end” of the person eating it as well, about 3-4 hours later

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Now here’s a top life tip… up there with not drinking in a flat roofed pub, never eating yellow snow and stand where the “stay back” line is worn away on a rail platform edge.

I only recently learnt it myself… it’s brilliant in its simplicity and effectiveness.

Eat that roof of mouth ripping baguettes …. UPSIDE DOWN !!

The hard crust is now on your tongue where it does no damage.

8)

Drac

WTF?

fasthaggis

#delicatechild 🙂

Some baguettes are over filled,a faff to eat,and (as a clever person up there^^ noted)the hinge is a bad design.So what you do ,is ask for another empty baguette,then shovel half the filling in to it.
    Almost two for the price of one an a bit. 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

good point binners. I guess I just automatically associate wraps with humous eating hipsters.

slowoldman

A friend of mine once “had a word” in a Little Chef about the toast being sliced diagonally. Posh looking but useless, he argued, for piling bacon onto. Exit waitress, nonplussed.

mogrim

But I just thought I’d highlight the existance of the Heart Attack Wrap for the uninitiated who thought that all wraps must be some abomination

I don’t know about that, Pret do quite a nice avocado+rocket wrap. Had one at Gatwick a couple of months back.

binners

Pret do quite a nice avocado+rocket wrap

OFF!

DaveyBoyWonder – at least we’re not getting into paninis, which everyone knows are just inferior, overpriced, poncey toasties with delusions of grandeur.

IHN

paninis

Panini is a plural 👿

binners

IHN

don’t get me started on panini’s

Anyway, the correct answer is a cheese salad sandwich (cheshire cheese ideally) on nice thick brown bread, with a little bit of salad cream. No, repeat, no pickle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Baguette and/or sandwich aesthetics over functionality rant’ is closed to new replies.