Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bag size for bike biving!?
  • cardiff
    Free Member

Looking to buy a new backpack to use for bike ‘n’ bivi! Looking to get as much kit on the bike as possilbe as don’t like stuff on my back, so got a pannier rack at the back and going to use velcro strps elsewhere on the bike.

Looking at a 10 litre bag to carry a few bits, but not sure if this is going to be too small! What size backpacks do other people use?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go bigger, 10L isn’t much, and you can cinch down a 15-20L rucsac, but you’ll struggle to strap 5-10L on a 10L one.

Assuming versatility is a benefit – there may be trips (winter, longer) when you want to carry more.

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds like a sensible solution!

nick3216
    Free Member

I stick everything on the bike and don’t use a backpack at all. On long rides your back will thank you for it.

FWIW I can fit all “bits” for multiday trip fit into a 5litre North Face bum bag. Straps to bars when riding, easy to remove when off the bike, eg in shops buying food. If you need 10litres I’d seriously question how much kit you’re taking.

kiwijohn

I, on the other hand, use a 25L Macpac pack. You don’t have to fill it right up.
    If there’s any hike a bike, it’s much easier to carry a pack & an unladen bike.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Hi,

Other than the very small camelbac type bags that are really only for carrying water, keys tools etc you will find there is not much difference between a tiny rucsac (10L)and a medium sized one when you have it on your back.

Personally I use a 20-25l bag for commuting, generally going about, going to the shops.
    You can get quite a lot in it if your want. But it is fine emptyish with the straps crushing it down. Its a real pain if you have too much stuff to fit in your bag, or stuff hanging off it.

Pile up the stuff you want to take and see how much bulk/weight there is.

MSP

FWIW I can fit all “bits” for multiday trip fit into a 5litre North Face bum bag

wow thats amazing, how do you get your sleeping bag, bivi, food etc into that?

nick3216
    Free Member

I don’t, I carry them on the bike. That’s why I quoted “bits”.

I read the OP, where he states he has panniers etc, so I presumed “bits” would be the niff naff and trivia stuff you don’t want in panniers cos you want quick access to, for instance wallet, camera, spork, multi tool etc. What he called “a few bits”

Being facetious doesn’t suit you.

druidh
    Free Member

nick3216 – Member
    I stick everything on the bike and don’t use a backpack at all. On long rides your back will thank you for it.

I’ve done multi-day rides carrying everything in a 40l rucksack and had no ill-effects whatsoever. I guess the yoof of today are just too soft.

nick3216
    Free Member

I’ve done trips with everything in a 20 litre original KIMM sac. My back didn’t like it.

40 litres WTF? If I’m the “soft yoof” of today what the **** in the way of luxuries are you old giffers carrying? who’s the soft lad again?

you know cock all about my bivvying but would just like to be smart. from here you just look like a tit

edited to add piccy

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys and for the bickering 😉

I’ve a pannier rack as opposed the panniers, just the one off the seat post, plan is to attached everything to the bike in dry sacks and velcor straps that we are adapting! So sleeping bag, cooker etc on the bike, then ust a few bits in the backpack. Thin I might go a little larger than 10 liters just to be on the safe side, like someone said, I don’t need to fill it all up

miketually
    Free Member

sleeping bag, cooker etc on the bike, then ust a few bits in the backpack

What’s left to take? If your sleeping and cooking stuff is on the bike, do you need anything more than you’d take on a normal day ride in your bag?

d45yth
    Free Member

The bag I have on my bar fits between 6-10ltrs. It has my tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and sleeping clothes in it!

Check these links for some other folks’ setups:

’Sick as a dog’ thread, here on STW.
    ’Loaded bikes’ on Bear Bones Bikepacking.
    ’Bikepacking rigs’ on MTBR.

Hopefully you’ll see something of use on some of these sites.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On the bike or on your back debate.

On the bike will be better for bike handling but more tiring – you are moving the weight of the pack around as well as your own and the pressure of it on your back can be tiring in iteslf. Also raises the centre of gravity which in extremis can cause you to crash – OTB momnets

Putting the weight on the bike is more efficient but may spoil the handling – harder to move the bike around under you but as above when it comes to hikabike it can be a pain.

Personally I am “everything on the bike”

If the fun of the ride is the priority them maybe on your back, if efficiency and comfort is your priority them on the bike or you can always compromise with a bit of both

nick3216
    Free Member

I’ve a pannier rack as opposed the panniers, just the one off the seat post, plan is to attached everything to the bike in dry sacks and velcor straps that we are adapting! So sleeping bag, cooker etc on the bike, then ust a few bits in the backpack. Thin I might go a little larger than 10 liters just to be on the safe side, like someone said, I don’t need to fill it all up

As I presumed then, having read the OP, apparently unlike the smartarses above

What’s left to take?

some tools, presumably pump and spare tubes strapped to frame
    wallet
    camera
    spork – better than fumblin in pannier
    multi tool, for instance leatherman
    windproof for fast access
    head torch, rear lights
    bog roll and dog poop bags (carry it out)
    minimal toiletries, if multi day trip
    first aid kit
    whistle

Pic above is everything on back, this is everything on bike…

jameso

I took a 10l Osprey pack out the last 2 long rides, next time I’m taking my 16-18l bag. A stuffed-full 10l bag is less likely to be able to conform to your back shape than a less-full 15-20l bag, I found the normally super-comfy 10l bag got annoyingly out of shape when stuffed full. Better to have some spare space, for carrying extra food, a jacket, a 4-pack etc

nick3216
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bag size for bike biving!?’ is closed to new replies.