Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • bad idea puting flat bars on?
  • ollie151
    Free Member

thinking about getting a surly straggler frameset and fitting flat bars on it……bad idea from a geometry perspective?

Dickyboy

Just alter stem length to suit?

mattyfez

That’s one thing that’s always confused me, why does it matter what shape you’re bars are if the reach and grip is right. If anything a straight tube type bar would limit you,as you can’t roll it back or forwards for preference?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you generally run a longer top tube with a flat bar, compared to a drops setup.

Obviously you could alternatively run a longer stem, but anything longer than 120 gets unwieldy.

good ergo grips (Ergon, Bonty, Spesh) plus decent bar ends (titec, BBB, Profile) give you plenty of hand positions, and good control.

thetallman
    Free Member

The Straggler has a comparatively long top tube for a bike sold with drop bars, so should be ok. I use mine as a drop-barred bike, but would happily ride it with flats/risers with only a 10mm increase in stem length.

Ben_H

I rode a Cotic Escapade (short Roadrat) with flat bars for 4 months. It was ok; quite accelerative, but definitely felt too short even with a long stem.

It’s obviously not a Straggler, but I’d have to ask why not consider something like an Ogre (which is what I went for)?

ton

ran jones bars on 2 previous surly lht tourers. got 750mm flat bars on my current disc trucker, with ergon grips……comfort over fashion…. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Try flat higher sweep bars. On One Fleegle or similar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘bad idea puting flat bars on?’ is closed to new replies.