Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Bad Driving- what's the answer?
  • NorthernStar
    Free Member

Overtaking by hopping a line of cars

And if it’s done safely, i.e. with good visibility, no oncoming traffic or hazards like side turnings?

Don’t see what’s wrong with overtaking if it’s done properly. Sometimes you have to overtake a train of more than one vehicle these days. You often get a whole train of driving ‘zombies’ following a lorry moving at low speed – none of who will overtake despite the road ahead being clear.

I got aggresively flashed once for overtaking an old chap who was doing 45mph on a clear straight 60 limit road. What was the reason for that?

D0NK

A turbo charged hot hatches with no seatbelts and rubbish brakes for all drivers under 30, the natural selection works.

While I have no problem with those from the shallow end of the gene pool killing themselves in the name of speed I do hate the fact that quite often they take several other car drivers/passengers, cyclists, pedestrians and various other casualties along with them.

D0NK

Erm why are they “zombies”?

glenp
    Free Member

Northern Star – not what I’m talking about – I mean when you can’t see the slow moving front of the line. Just making your way without even knowing where you’re going to get back in – feeding on the good drivers who have left a sensible gap – that gap is not for dickheads to muscle in to!

Obviously overtaking is sometimes safe and appropriate – just doesn’t happen very often.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How do you know the gap was less than a car length?

the hard braking and caravan wobble that occured from that vehicle just to let the overtaking vehicle narrowly avoid smashing into the oncomming vehicle (which was visible and obviously going to hit before the vehicle had made the overtake it was going for from my POV –

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Erm why are they “zombies”?

I don’t know? How else would you describe these sort of drivers, lack of confidence perhaps? Daydreamers maybe? loosing the will to live perhaps?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s the CAPITALISATION for EMPHASIS that’s killing me. It’s not an ad agency FFS.

glenp
    Free Member

How else would you describe these sort of drivers

Relaxed?

GrahamS

I got aggresively flashed once for overtaking an old chap who was doing 45mph on a clear straight 60 limit road. What was the reason for that?

Maybe he was congratulating you on a splendid overtaking manoeuvre? 🙂

Or warning you of speed cameras ahead?

Or most likely just being a daft old duffer who thinks the NSL is 40.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I don’t know? How else would you describe these sort of drivers, lack of confidence perhaps? Daydreamers maybe? loosing the will to live perhaps?

Or not in a hurry? Allowed enough time for their journey?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Impatience seems to be a important behavioural flaw contributing to dangerous road use.

There’s this undertone of scorn, arrogance and self-belief that leads to people speeding, overtaking badly and being dicks, all reinforced by their mistaken idea that they are more important and have more right to use the road than everyone else.

I see it everyday. Literally, everyday.

People just need to chill-the-****-out on the roads.

glenp
    Free Member

bananaworld – exactly. Just thinking about themselves and their journey, rather than the whole system. I’m convinced it is made worse by big and flash cars – some drivers think they are more elevated and important than everyone else, whereas in reality they are just a small speck in the road system, just the same as everyone else.

D0NK

How else would you describe these sort of drivers,

glenp and muddy bum beat me to it. Just because someone does not feel the need to overtake a truck doesn’t make them bad people. Doesn’t necessarily make a safe overtaker a bad person either but you were the one name calling. Remember some of us have basic cars which get us there but ain’t too hot for overtaking maneuvers.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate it when people queue jump.

You may consider a gap feasible in your car, I might not consider it worth the risk. Or my car’s not fast enough to make it. Doesn’t really give you the right to steal the next opportunity that I COULD’VE made to get past me.

If you’re in the supermarket, and an old dear is struggling with her purse and change, do you elbow her out of the way, chuck her stuff on the ground and force the guy to put your shopping through instead?

Woody
    Free Member

when i drive in i use the stonehaven netherley road which is a B road – its also a National cycle network road.

That used to be a fun quiet country road in my ‘biker-yoof’. Record was 7 minutes junction to junction 8)

glenp
    Free Member

And then there’s the d!ck who doesn’t stop accelerating until he’s jammed up against your rear bumper, trying to get you to do the same to the car in front. Hey – it isn’t that my car is unable to bridge the gap! I just choose not to, pillock. God (rant coming) why can’t people that drive too close understand? If you get that close you’re not able to drive your own car anymore – all you can do is react to whatever I do. (rant subsiding)

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Part of the driving test is to be seen to be making sufficient progress. A friend of mine was failed for not driving near the speed limit on a clear NSl road.

To be honest it’s pretty selfish for people to be saying, well I’m not in a hurry so I’ll drive at 40mph regardless to the obstruction I’m causing. To be honest if you’re not confident enough to make sufficient progress then you really need to take some more training. Either that or pull over every so often and let faster traffic pass. Slow driving leads to un-necesary frustration caused to other road users and we all know that this can lead to accidents.

GrahamS

Slow driving leads to un-necesary frustration caused to other road users and we all know that this can lead to accidents.

Agreed – but unfortunately “slow driving” often just means someone that is observing the speed limit.

I regularly frustrate fellow motorists by doing an indicated 55mph along the dual carriageway on my commute (which is signed as a 50, but people regularly do 80+ on it).

“Keeping up with the flow of traffic” is obviously important – but not to the extent that I should be forced to speed to do so.

glenp
    Free Member

Equally, the assumption that sufficient progress means driving at all times hard up against the speed limit causes widespread frustration. You don’t have to get frustrated – and certainly there is no point at all looking for an overtake where no reasonable prospect exists.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest it’s pretty selfish for people to be saying, well I’m not in a hurry so I’ll drive at 40mph regardless to the obstruction I’m causing

It is, but that’s not what we’re complaining about.

I personally am complaining about people who think 60 or 65 is too slow on a NSL single carriageway road, and who think I ought to take what I consider an unaccaptable risk for their own benefit.

Roads have traffic, they have slow vehicles, you need to GROW THE F UP, MAN THE F UP and take it on the chin like a bloody adult should. YOU ARE NOT BETTER OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSE!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

EDIT: Curse you, Mol; curse you…. 😡

See, it’s things like that can tip a mayn over the edge…

NorthernStar
    Free Member

I regularly frustrate fellow motorists by doing an indicated 55mph along the dual carriageway on my commute (which is signed as a 50, but people regularly do 80+ on it)

Hmmm, guess it depends whether the dual carriageway is genuinely safe for 80+ or whether there are awkward junctions, hazards or lots of accidents caused by people driving at 80+

Don’t forget that despite the advances in modern car handling, braking and safety we are still goverened by speed limits that were outlined decades ago when vehicle and road technology is not what it is today. I’m not condoning breaking the law but the law does need to be updated to reflect changing times.

If there are not regular accidents then it might suggest that the road in question has an artificially low limit for whatever reason and could easily be raised without problem. Similarly the speed limit on the road outside our local school is still 30mph. This really needs to be less, perhaps 20 or 15mph would be more appropriate.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

you need to GROW THE F UP, MAN THE F UP and take it on the chin like a bloody adult should. YOU ARE NOT BETTER OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSE!

Are you prone to road rage by any chance?

molgrips
    Free Member

When people queue jump then yes, yes I am … 😈

Hmmm, guess it depends whether the dual carriageway is genuinely safe for 80+ or whether there are awkward junctions, hazards or lots of accidents caused by people driving at 80+

Ah yes, good point raised there. My mate drove down the 50mph couple of miles of DC into town from my house wondering why tf it was 50, resenting this fact and speeding up – like everyone else does.

Well, when it was 70 there were plenty of accidents along it and I always said it should be 50.

So it’s not always obvious what the danger might be.

Like I say, you can’t leave it up to people (ie us as a whole) to make their own decisions all the time, because they get it wrong so often.

glenp
    Free Member

The limit may well be wrong, but individual drivers can’t make informed decisions – because as you drive long you are not fully informed. You just don’t know the facts – there may be hidden turnings or any one of a number of other hazards. Not saying I never speed, by the way, but my choice these days is way way more considered than when I lacked the experience. The error that a lot of drivers make is to assume the limit is wrong and worry about the consequences later.

Same with making a choice about going for a gap – drivers feel they are taking a calculated risk, but the collateral at risk is not just their own – they are taking an unnecessary risk with someone else’s comfort and safety.

molgrips
    Free Member

they are taking an unnecessary risk with someone else’s comfort and safety

Bang on, and this is what winds me up.

Lots of people I knew at school or people who knew people I knew got killed on the roads, most were hit by people overtaking traffic coming the other way.

One particular section springs to mind – a long straight with trees and tall hedges down both sides – it actually has lots of hidden dips that you don’t see, you just have to know they are there and not overtake.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Nothernstar, you obviously know more about safe speeds of cars than I do, having never driven in my life (please feel free, all, to quote that there statement of mine) but there is one aspect of speeding that has been barely mentioned and then forgotten in this thread.

Yes, modern cars are safer with their better brakes and all, but it is the consequences of speed that would appear to me to be why speed limits are stuck in their seemingly archaic past: it is less easy to avoid a random, collision-causing incident at speed, and if the collision does occur, the shitstorm is far messier at 90 than at 70.

Now I can stop being polite and just add:

If there are not regular accidents then it might suggest that the road in question has an artificially low limit for whatever reason and could easily be raised without problem.

This had better be trolling, cos if not, it’s the most scary, naïve and ignorant statement in the thread so far.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. “Hey look, no-one’s died on this road, let’s raise the limit until people do start dying”

🙄

glenp
    Free Member

I do have to declare that I am the most righteous born-again driver. Like other teenagers I was a complete nob, but I have made up for it in the decades since! The epiphany when you realise that going with the flow is the only way is such a blessing – suddenly you can relax!

molgrips
    Free Member

The epiphany when you realise that going with the flow is the only way is such a blessing – suddenly you can relax!

Yes again! Absolutely.

If I ever need a lift from an STWer remind me to ask glenp first.

glenp
    Free Member

There is a powerful flip-side to modern cars too. You feel more invincible and unconsciously raise your risk level. Plus – cars might have improved, but human beings are still being manufactured to the same old design.

bananaworld
    Free Member

The epiphany when you realise that going with the flow is the only way is such a blessing – suddenly you can relax!

I like that idea, and wish more motorists could get over their impatience and follow your lead, glen.

I wish, as I cyclist, to be allowed to go with the flow, but the proscribed defensive cycling techniques are still not respected by today’s more-right-to-the-road-than-thou drivers. Rock ‘n’ a hard place. 🙁

EDIT: Hope my statement hasn’t quashed the mood too much, mol…

Woody
    Free Member

As a matter of interest, is there anyone on here who never exceeds the speed limit?

glenp
    Free Member

I sometimes exceed the limit – 80 or 90 on motorways if that is the flow, for example.

But I never break the gap to the car in front limit – I like to drive my own car and have good visibility too. It amazes me when you see people who’s entire peripheral vision is the back of the vehicle in front – so close that the other driver will have no idea they’re even there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, NorthernStar never exceeds the safe limit. That much I can make out.

Woody
    Free Member

Maintaining ‘the gap’ is something the government should run an advertising campaign on, as it would not only reduce accidents but save a huge amount in fuel due to the constant brake/accelerate technique employed by most tailgating dickheads.

The insurance companies can pay for it as the reduction in whiplash claims would be huge!

glenp
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more woody – I just go with if I have to use the brakes I have failed. Stopping at red lights etc aside, I can honestly say I almost never use the brakes.

Woody
    Free Member

I can honestly say I almost never use the brakes

My XTZ660 is like that – first time I rolled off the throttle I nearly parked my nads on the tank. Just as well really, the brakes are crap 🙂

GrahamS

There are a few junctions. It was an NSL and got reduced to a 50 fairly recently. (A184/A1 near the MetroCentre if anyone is interested).

But that doesn’t really matter – I shouldn’t be bullied into breaking the law just because everyone else wants to.

It’s all of 5 miles, so the difference between saintly 50mph and dangerous 80mph is about two minutes.

Don’t forget that despite the advances in modern car handling, braking and safety we are still goverened by speed limits that were outlined decades ago when vehicle and road technology is not what it is today.

Yeah yeah but for all the advances in roads, braking and safety I don’t think there have been many steps forward in reaction times or eyesight.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Bad Driving- what's the answer?’ is closed to new replies.