Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bad back – do I rearrange the fleet?
  • konaboy2275
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 prolapsed disc and 2 degenerative discs, fine most of the time but been playing up recently. I’m wondering what to do bike wise, got the following at present;

Titus X
    Cannondale Prophet
    Ti456
    Inbred
    Kaffenback

Also due to lack of funds to keep all these running nice I’m thinking of slimming the fleet down to the following;

El Guapo
    Titus x
    Kaffenback

Only thing is I love my Ti 456 and am reluctant to sell it but it kills my back. And not sure if the el guapo is going to be that much better than the prophet so maybe;

Prophet
    X
    Kaffenback

Any thoughts?!

bencooper
    Free Member

I thought this was a euphemism.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I thought that when typing it! Not as bad as rearranging my quiver tho…. 😆

spookydan
    Free Member

I’m looking for a prophet, if it’s medium and you’re keen to sell it get in touch. Thanks, Dan.

Kiril
    Free Member

I’ve had a disectomy; get rid of all mtb hard tails (or give them to your teenage Sons who smile broadly) They just hurt. Buy a comfy road bike with the money you get to keep up he fitness

dan74
    Free Member

I’ve had a laminectomy and a discectomy
    I find i cant ride road anymore due to the stretched position but i’m ok on short rides on my relatively upright Prophet
    I find the rear suss also helps with jarring and is a comfier ride
    I’m 38 btw and everyone is different but that’s what works for me, just don’t go for ‘Big Air’ 😆

Mantastic
    Free Member

Don’t call it a fleet, next you will be calling them steeds

asterix
    Free Member

I have a prolapsed disk but if I do some core strength exercises, then riding helps rather than makes it worse (and I ride a really really rigid Cannondale).

What makes my back worse is sitting at PC (like now) and driving, and sleeping too long. So keep your bikes, ride more, do less desk work and buy a better bed and a better car instead

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, think the lack of riding recently (weather / DIY / young kids excuses all apply!) may be making it worse when I do get out.

I’ve decided to keep what I’ve got for the time being and try to strengthen my core muscles with a bit either yoga and the exercises I got from my sports rehab sessions.

I like the prophet but I’ve never been over the moon with it, again, maybe due to riding my 456 all the time. Will be trying to use it more and see if it helps.

Dan, it’s an XL so wouldn’t fit you anyway!

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a bad back (not quite as bad as yours) and I find a really upright position helps. My Rocky Mountain has a short top tube and I still have the saddle forward, plus I spend a lot of time out of the saddle. Works for me.

I also do 2hrs of yoga a week and 2hrs of core exercises in the gym. Again, that’s made a big improvement for me.

VanHalen

Core stability is key. My back is buggered atm from not enough woodsy razzing, drifting and jumping. Too much sit and spin xc/commute.

Been looking at a racer x. What’s it like for bombing singletrack? Might hold out for a cannondale rush instead though.

Cheers m

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

lift up your bars and go for a spin before you get rid of any of the bikes.

Adjusting your riding position makes a world of difference.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Yeh, was commuting a lot last year 35 mile round trip and it seemed to make my back worse although was using a very stiff cross bike – now sold to a mate!

The x is great although I’m a bit old school and like quite twitchy / fast handling! Seems to fit me really well, got the Large and I’m 6’4″ with a 35-6 inseam. It flies up hills and is pretty good down as well. I did have a concern with rear seatstays which have a small crack just above where it joins the dropout but it went back to on one and they have confirmed it’s the lacquer, nothing structural. I’ll keep an eye on it though!

Van H, if your near Bury / Manchester you’re welcome to give it a try if it will fit you.

sheephills
    Free Member

I also have bad issues with my back, last summer i rode single speed only, it helped alot, standing up on all clibs, no spinning away in the saddle..

t_i_m
    Free Member

before you get rid of any bikes that you’d like to keep. Fit a shorter stem and put more air in the fork. This should take some pressure off your back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bad back – do I rearrange the fleet?’ is closed to new replies.