Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Back to basics – Lightweight SS 26er options
  • Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve not been riding off road much this year. I’ve been overwhelmed by the tarmac and I could really do with a race bike next year (road) so I’m thinking of chopping in the Orange ST4 and replacing it with a lightweight singlespeed 26er for all off road duties and putting the savings towards a new road bike.

I liked the look of a slot scandal 26er but there aren’t any in my size 16″. I then started looking at the Genesis IO frameset. I know it will be heavier but how much so? What other cheap alternatives are there? Second hand makes sense as I’m trying to save cash.

Haze

Cotic Simple – out of production at the moment (I heard) so would have to be second hand purchase.

Reynolds 853

jimmers
    Free Member

I’ve got a slot dropout Scandal, I got one for similar reasons to yours (apart from the road bike bit). When I was looking there aren’t many cheap options out there for an ally frame SS (assuming steel is too heavy) unless you get a vertical dropout frame and fit a tensioner.

pixelmix
    Free Member

The next Scandal batch is due next year. There isn’t anything else that I can think of that is light, cheap and SS compatible. Is an On-One Whippet too expensive (£399)?

Other options are the Cotic Simple (out of stock until next year, as above), Sirius Pipedream (heavier), or an Inbred (which you could swap later for a lighter frame if you find it too heavy).

I have an Inbred for my SS, and although it is a heavy frame, by the time you discount the drivetrain weight savings, it still adds up to a nice lightish bike.

rustler
    Free Member

What about an 853 Sanderson Soloist ?

rob2
    Free Member

Ive got a 16″ scandal 26er with tensioner if its of interest? excellent condition as i dont use it as ive two kids under 2 which means i get no time! also have a pair of sid teams to go with it.

let me know if its of interest – email in profile

r

Surfr
    Free Member

Currently thinking that a scandal+tensioner may be the best bet. I may get in touch if the one I’m looking at doesn’t materialise. I can transfer my forks and wheels and everything else across from the ST4 and use my existing tensioner and spacer kit to see how I like it.

Dekerf
    Free Member

How light do you want it? My old steel (Dekerf Generation) SS weighs in at around 20-21lbs which is plenty enough, and that is with a tensioner and lots of old heavy stuff on.

donks
    Free Member

Get your self a Kinesis decade, it’s light but pretty tough, mine gets used for commuting, off road, trail centres and the jumps and BMX park. Got rid of my FS bike and really dont miss it….yet. Picked the frame up on ebay for £250.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Steel Inbred? My old one (one of the best bikes I’ve ever owned – was stupid to sell it) with Pace RC31s, and some not too lightweight kit was hovering around 21/22lbs I think.

Militant_biker

I’d recommend not skimping on comfort for lightness!

I built a pretty light SS a few years back, got it down to 18lbs with Pace RC31 Ti forks, V brakes, skinny thin tyres, weighing bars and stems to get the lightest in the shop etc…

It was awful. Seriously. It went up hills like nothing else, but coming down I couldn’t keep it on line – every little bump seemed to throw it around. Gradually I swapped to suspension, disc brakes, chunkier tyres etc – and it was a much better bike. Then I bought the iO frame and it’s a superb bike. And I’ve no idea how much it weighs.

Surfr
    Free Member

Yeh I’m not going to sacrifice comfort or handling. Keeping my Rebas, XT brakes and probably Rubber Queens or the new Mountain King 2s on the ground.

qwerty
    Free Member

Lynsky Ridgeline SS 26er

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36799

light, strong, cheep n all that!

Jerome
    Free Member

Singular hummingbird..
    Get an EBB if you can..
    J.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Back to basics – Lightweight SS 26er options’ is closed to new replies.