Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Back spasm type thingy – self-treatment options?
  • spacemonkey

Got hit with one of these yesterday after literally just turning to walk out the door. Felt like I was being crushed in a bloody great bear hug. Pain managed to localise itself after a few hours to somewhere beneath left shoulder. Have figured out how to ‘manage’ it so long as a don’t move ‘incorrectly’. Plus sleeping has to be down sitting up – can’t lie down as it takes 5 mins to get back up.

Can feel it settling down this morning but know it only takes a sudden movement and it’s on fire again.

Have ‘done my back’ in the lower regions in the past, but this is different. So are there any good exercises/stretches to do? Or is rest the best thing? Am on Voltarol and Ibuprofen.

Really peed off if I can’t ride this week.

Ta.

camo16
    Free Member

Heat pads help.

I’ve done exactly what you describe loads of times. The worst time resulted from be bending down to pick up a scrap of paper. 😳

Heat and gentle massage. That’s all I know.

Hope you’re back on the saddle soon, fella!

kevin1911

You have my sympathies! I’m no expert, but you need to keep moving around, otherwise the spasms will set back in. Rub ibuprofen gel on the affected areas, use hot water bottles on them, some gentle massaging seemed to help too. Hope it gets better soon.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Heat pads help.

the heat pads are excellent – miles more effective than ibuprofen.

camo16
    Free Member

In my experience, the quicker you react to a back spasm the less severe it will be… If I feel a spasm I stop what I’m doing, straighten my back super gently and, if I can reach the trouble spot, massage the muscle gently (keeping my back straight and balanced). Next, I head for the Ibuprofen and heat pads, whilst trying to keep the muscle moving as much as possible. Sometimes, after about 10 minutes or so, the spasm just goes away.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You need a bottle of Knob Creek and 2x 5mg diazepam.

spacemonkey

Ah, heat pads. Didn’t think of those. Something like this?

Think I’ll dig out a hot water bottle for the time being.

Cheers

camo16
    Free Member

Yes, something like that – but you can get cheaper ones that attach to your shirt and warm your muscles nicely. Much better than hot water bottles IMO – you can walk about and keep the renegade muscle warm. And the more you move about the better.

I’m off to investigate Knob Creek. Sounds intriguing. 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Note that some pads cannot be put against the skin and other can.

akira

Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace will also work.

spacemonkey

Ok, I’ll check out some pads.

Finished off the Spanish brandy last night. Might have to be just red wine tonight 🙁 Makers Mark: tis a nice tipple that.

camo16
    Free Member

Good man. Straight swigs out of the bottle, as in old westerns, I trust? 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

anti-inflammatories

boxfish
    Free Member

I usually try and do the following:

Keep moving!
    Try and take slow deep breaths.
    Slowly and gently stretch the affected area, if possible.
    Hot bath followed by ice pack.

If I’m still hurting at bedtime, I’ll take ibuprofen to aid sleep.

spacemonkey

Straight swigs out of the bottle, as in old westerns, I trust?

It was at 6pm 🙂 Toned it down later on and went all civil!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Back spasm type thingy – self-treatment options?’ is closed to new replies.