Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • back pocket locks…..
  • monkeyboyjc

Can any one recommend a small ‘back pocket-able’ lock to take on longer road rides – just to lock up the bike when popping into the shop / pub whilst I get my lunch.
    Thanks

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive just bought a cheapo cable lock from Halfords, just enough to stop a casual walk-off whilst not right next to it but TBH it isn’t out of my sight. I won’t leave it unattended and out of view if anywhere remotely near a population centre of more than 5 people!
    it was £6.99 BTW.

monkeyboyjc

That’s the sort of thing – the bike would be in plane sight but I just need to be enough to stop someone jumping on and riding off.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a little Abus café lock, thin cable that could be cut quite easily but would stop casual thieves.

monkeyboyjc

Not sure on the Abus – looks like the sort of thing I’d secure my suitcase with?
    typically I just bought a Knog milkman 9 eBay , then found this:
    SAFEMAN® BIKE LOCK: http://youtu.be/TEXaG26bij4
    The cable is twice as thick as the Knog (although 20 cm shorter) and has the advantage of being able to ‘double lock’.
    There less than 20€ Inc postage to the UK!

allthepies
    Free Member

I had one of those Safeman locks.

Fell to bits in under a year, avoid!

tinribz
    Free Member

I use an Ortre BI5 for outside shops, fits in jeans back pocket.

skids
    Free Member

ASDA Bell combination cable like £3

wilburt
    Free Member

Poundland combination lock..perfect for what you need.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There was a thread the other day where quite a few people mention the dangers of landing on back pocket items especially locks resulting in breaking their ribs, vertebrae, pelvis etc.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anything hard is stored in same pocket as windproof jacket, with windproof between me and hard item.
    CO2 inflator+cartridges/tools etc carried in saddlepack & pump on frame.
    Pockets carry wallet, food & phone and windproof.

FOG

My son lost the key for his big beefy lock, bought a cheap pocket lock, bike nicked in 3 days from a location in plain sight outside sarnie shop near work. And it was a knackered 20 year old Marin worth 50p. Perhaps Marin is the new black for crack heads and scroats.

accu
    Free Member

I just have a small padlock with me..and lock my chainring and chain with it..
    as long as the bike is in sight !!
    had its real test last year….works perfect..just my handlebar got some scratches… 🙂

TiRed

That only works if you ride a fixed wheel. Otherwise you can just roll it away!

I have a small Kryptonite to prevent snatch and run. Nothing you can carry will stop a set of bolt croppers.

accu
    Free Member

yes….but you can`t jump on the bike and ride away !!
    did the job and even my chain survived..

cheese@4p

Anything hard is stored in same pocket as windproof jacket, with windproof between me and hard item.

Until it gets windy?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘back pocket locks…..’ is closed to new replies.