Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Back o' Skiddaw – which way?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Planning on doing this ride on Saturday. Which way is best around the back of Skiddaw, clockwise or anti and why? I’ll be finishing down Latrigg into Keswick whatever.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anti clockwise, only way I’ve ever did it.

TomB

Anticlockwise from Skiddaw house. The bit down towards mosedale is a bit bitty, all rideable downhill but tedious back up. Note Keswick Threlkeld railway line closed. Alternative via Road from old windebrow to brundholme (currently closed but open to walkers and bikes) or via castlerigg stone circle.

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh aye I did know about the railway, cheers for the alternative route suggestions. We’re actually staying in a caravan site between Keswick and Threlkeld.

lowey

Given how dry it is, I’d not bother with Mosedale and the road round the back o skiddaw to Dash, I’d carry up to the Knot from Here, then head north over to Great Sca Fell, then enjoy the longest, continuously downhill Bridleway in the country to Longlands gate.

Its dry so grab your chance.

martinhutch

Is there any way of making the ‘back end’ of it more interesting and less roady?

Some of the tracks up near Bannerdale Crags/Bowscale Fell/Tarn plus Cumbria Way/High Pike look quite promising, but I’ve never ventured over there plus I guess you’d have to get up Blencathra in the first place.

EDIT: Thanks Lowey! Worth adding in a ‘back of Blencathra bit’?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Only ever ridden it anti-clockwise so that gets my vote. Watch yourself of the precarious rocky section!

flyingmonkeycorps

Looks good Lowey – are the tracks on the ground fairly obvious (where there’s nothing marked on the OS)?

TomB

Great shout lowey. Very dry everywhere just now, make the most of it! Old classics like high street and the helvellyn ridge line via the dodds from the north will be great at the moment.

lowey

are the tracks on the ground fairly obvious

Given the forecast is stunning, you shouldnt have any problems finding your way around. Take a map and compass with you just incase and put maps.me on your smartphone.

flyingmonkeycorps

Already have OS maps on the phone and theres no chance of me veturing out on the fells without a map and compass, so should be grand. Cheers guys, much appreciated.

lowey

Already have OS maps on the phone

You’ll be reet. Great app that is.

globalti
    Free Member

Please take care at the bad steps on Lonscale Fell. This chap was a good friend and a hell of a bloke: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/09/11/widow-pays-tribute-to-mountain-biker-john-graham-who-died-on-skiddaw

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I’ve been really impressed with it coming off 1/50k maps on Viewranger. Downloading maps can be a touch clunky but I reckon it’s well worth a bit of faff for the extra detail of 1/25k.

I’m reasonably confident navigating I just like to be as prepared as possible!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Please take care at the bad steps on Lonscale Fell. This chap was a good friend and a hell of a bloke: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/09/11/widow-pays-tribute-to-mountain-biker-john-graham-who-died-on-skiddaw

Yeh that’s the section I was referring to. Not sure I would ride that bit nowadays.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah – I’ve ridden and walked there before and I wouldn’t be ashamed to carry my bike over the steps.

flyingmonkeycorps

Lowey, that descent off Great Sca Fell was an absolute corker (though I was cursing you, this forum and mountain biking in general on the way up)!

Thank you!

cabbage84
    Free Member

You don’t happen to have a gpx of the route including the ascent to great sca fell do you

flyingmonkeycorps

I do, I’ll whip it off Strava next time I’m on a grown up PC. Be warned though, it’s a horrid carry!

lowey

Lowey, that descent off Great Sca Fell was an absolute corker (though I was cursing you, this forum and mountain biking in general on the way up)!

Thank you!

Love it when a plan comes together. A day in Lakes is simply not complete if it doesnt involve the noble art of bike portage 😆 Glad to have helped.

Personally, I carry up from Skiddaw House onto Great Calva and approach the Knot from that way. But its all good up there when its this dry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That sounds like one for the list Dave!

velocipede
    Free Member

That Lonscale Crag section is scary – I took my boys up there on bikes when they were about 10 – never, ever again and not recommended – we should have walked but didn’t and it was only when I looked over the edge I realised what I’d exposed them to….it’s making may hair stand on end now!

We’re off to that neck of the woods in summer – does any one know of the railway path will be re-opening?

flyingmonkeycorps

Love it when a plan comes together. A day in Lakes is simply not complete if it doesnt involve the noble art of bike portage Glad to have helped.

Personally, I carry up from Skiddaw House onto Great Calva and approach the Knot from that way. But its all good up there when its this dry.

Did cross my mind, but I really enjoyed the singletrack from Skiddaw House so it was all good!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Extremely dodgy, but lovely bit of trail…

[/url]Lonsdale crags – Into the light by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Back o' Skiddaw – which way?’ is closed to new replies.