Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Babysitters – How much to pay?
  • bueller
    Free Member

Paging STW Dads. Bit of advice required please. My little boy is 17 months old and Mrs Bueller has decided we can resume a monthly date night now he’s settling down and sleeping Ok. Mini Bueller goes to bed at 7pm and generally sleeps without issue. We have asked one of the young ladies at his nursery (who he is fond of) to babysit. She is a fully trained nursery nurse and CRB checked.

She has quoted £20 – £30 (she wasn’t specific with an hourly rate) to look after him from 7.30 to 11.30, with us collecting and dropping her off (about 8 miles each way) as she doesn’t drive. Is this about right? What do you pay? Knowing Mrs Bueller, we’ll probably be back before 10.00 anyway!

bruneep

If you are happy with her and you trust her pay it, if not get other prices from others. We found a good babysitter hard to come by at times. Possibly factor in a taxi fare for her if you’ve had few drinks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

About that. £20 if it’s only a few hours, £30 if we’re out midnightish or beyond.

oxym0r0n

Not qualified just teenagers but trustworthy… 7.45-10.00 fortnightly we say £10 (maybe a bit stingy) but a night out prob £15-£20. Normally look for someone local/own transport and both children always tucked up in bed asleep… Hope that helps?

Coyote
    Free Member

I saw this film once where the couple “paid” the babysitter when they got home. Didn’t see any money change hands though. Hope this helps.

bueller
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I guessed about £20 – £25 for four hours, but as she quoted £20 – £30 and shes quite shy, I know i’ll end up giving her £30 and will probably also get some snacks in for her too. With £30 quid, snacks, plus lifts it will work out more than we pay her for the ten hours she has him at nursery where his meals are included.

I’m aware its a lot of responsibility and we will be trusting her with not just our son but also our home, so from that point of view I guess it’s cheap.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I think I’ve seen the same film as Coyote….

twicewithchips
    Free Member

we tend to do turn about with others in the village – pretty much the other much the playground /nursery mums. Otherwise, the rate in the OP sounds fair to me – just enjoy your night out and don’t worry about it.

m0rk
    Free Member

with us collecting and dropping her off (about 8 miles each way) as she doesn’t drive

Giggedy

bueller
    Free Member

I wondered how long it would take for a post like yours, m0rk. Technically Coyote won I think. 🙂

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

We’ve always struggled for babysitters as we don’t know any teenage girls. Never thought of asking the no doubt underpaid nursery girls. I’d say 20-30 quid for a full evening is about right for someone of working age.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

If your driving her home maybe more like this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091859/?ref_=nv_sr_1

franksinatra

When we first started using babysitter it was a girl from nursery. Certainly made for more relaxing evening knowing it was someone really reliable and trusted looking after them. Also helped that she was quite fit and flirty*

*I may have imagined that bit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Babysitters – How much to pay?’ is closed to new replies.