Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Baby on the way, talk to me about Push chairs/Car seats.
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At the end of the day you will make whatever you buy work for you and if you can't, Ebay it and get something else. Also, what is right for when the baby is born may not still be suitable when they are one. And what is right for someone else may not be right for you.

Just don't spend too much time fretting about it – it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things – just as long as the baby is safely protected is all that matters.

Good luck and have fun 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I should add, we were told on the quiet by the John Lewis assistant to avoid Quinny as they had loads of returns and faults.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ok, thinking of ditching the pram and doing sling, chair and car seat.

That Baby Jogger looks great but we both like the idea of having the option to face baby if we want to. A most likely contentious topic so let's not go there today 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just don't spend too much time fretting about it – it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things

I have been charged with this task and this task alone, don't take that away from me 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Remember that a newborn *should* have periods of laying flat for correct spinal development so the pushchair should at least offer a fully laid flat position and the baby shouldn't be left in a car seat for more than around 2 hours on a regular basis.

I have been charged with this task and this task alone, don't take that away from me

🙂

tomlevell

Buy a 2nd hand travel system as it'll have hardly been used (unless they've had more than one baby).
    If you paranoid buy a new car seat.
    We never used the cot attachment on it other than in the house (see chariot below). Handy but wouldn't have bought one new.

You'll be gagging to buy a lightweight pushchair ASAP anyway as the travel systems are big lumps in comparison. (7months and just bought a pushchair)

Baby Bjorns are ok but we never really used ours. Material sling is used more often but it's not used that much.

We spent a lot on a Chariot though which has had loads of walking and cycling use in the woods and moors (upto the age of 4ish) and soon will be able to go in the rucksack for going up mountains and places where the chariot is too cumbersome and large.

That Baby Jogger looks great but we both like the idea of having the option to face baby if we want to. A most likely contentious topic so let's not go there today

Don't get too hung up on facing the baby. You'll only end up with something multifuntional and essentially useless after 6 months. Baby seat in travel system is good for this and handy around town and shops when your bored but once they are 4 months ish they will look around a lot anyway so forward facing is fine.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Leave it to your wife she will be the one pushing around on a daily basis unless she’s the bread winner. We went with the Bugaboo Chameleon set up with Maxi Cosi Isofix Chair which worked excellent, we sold Bugaboo after 2 years for about £80 less than we paid. We had a problem with one the straps on the Bugaboo they changed the whole chassis.

ourmaninthenorth

No 1 North child is due in August.

So far purchase (or deposits paid) have included:

*Bugaboo Chameleon
    *Maxi-Cosi seat
    *Maxi-Cosi Family Fix Isofix base (slightly future proofed)

Decisions are entirely based on what works for Mrs North, who is a petite 4'10", and so needs something light and easy to handle.

Oh, and she's bought me a BabyBjorn carrier…. 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Probably also worth pointing out that Mrs Lake is only a fraction shorter than me 😳

GaryLake
    Free Member

Holy crap, those Chariot Carriers look ace but £900!! Ouch.

ski
    Free Member

buy a cheap one……….cos she will want a dear one.
    but when the time comes round again…….you will deffo buy a cheap one.

Spot on advice from Ton

Its all to easy to blow cash on the first one, only to look back and think, what a waste of money!

But I guess its a lesson in life you have to go through 😉

tomlevell

Holy crap, those Chariot Carriers look ace but £900!! Ouch.

You haven't looked at the accessories yet…

I classed it as my new bike as it would allow me to get out more ;0)

Proper offroad needs big wheels that most stuff doesn't give you. But if your not in the moors etc then the bigger wheeled joggers should be good. Little wheeled pushchairs are comical at the first sign of a pebble.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I did only look at the CX sport one mind… rest are a little more reasonable.

tomlevell

I went for the Cougar as it's lighter. Although it probably isn't now I've added the extra front brake (including an extra bar) but very very useful for walking in hills.

hora
    Free Member

Just want to add something that I think will prove key in a while…..

buy a pushchair that is agile/quick-turning etc. I reckon they'll love that 'weeeeee' feeling when you are quick-flicking the push chair around and down aisles etc etc. I'm already doing this!! 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

dont get an isofix seat or one with a base that the carrier clicks into, it'll restrict you by not being able to use taxi's unless you cart the base round and hire cars when on holiday. none of the cars on offer in malta offered isofix. seatbelt option is more versatile.
    theres a place in clevedon just by the motorway junction that sells new baby stuff at a discounted rate.

http://www.trendybaby.co.uk/index.cfm

quinny and phil and teds = pants.
    we have a BOB Stroller(same people as the MTB trailers) from the states.
    Mrs Flatfish loved it after i told her to wait till we got there and says shes glad she waited.

hora
    Free Member

dont get an isofix seat

That is most certainly the one we will be getting for Zach's next seat. Seatbelt system is PITA.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cheers for the link flatfishy, nice not to have to trek into Bristol!

But, Holidays? LOL
    Taxis? LOL

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Sling for the first 3-6 months (depending on size) – far better than a pram.

Then small foldable pushchair (Petit Star Zia or Quinny Zap, both £120) for town use and an optionally something chunkier for outdoor/longer walk duty. We got a Maxi Cosi Mura for half price £150, which allows you to have the baby facing you – a good thing.

Don't get sucked into the Bugaboo/Phil and Ted thing, it's just not worth it.

Chariot are absolutely frigging amazing. You don't have to actually push them on the flat, they just roll along and you control them with a finger – seriously. And it's a bike trailer 🙂 Cougar is the most cost effective one I reckon.

Re Isofix, the Maxi Cosi one can be clicked into its base OR you can wrap a seatbelt around it old skool style, so works in taxis etc.

But best advice: get a sling first, then take your time figuring out what you want as you get an idea of what's needed. Don't rush out and spend thousands before the baby arrives!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Re Isofix, the Maxi Cosi one can be clicked into its base OR you can wrap a seatbelt around it old skool style, so works in taxis etc.

Just what I was about to say. And Isofix is around a million times (it's true, I counted) easier than seatbelt ones, especially if used with a travel system or if you want to get a sleeping baby, undisturbed, out of the car.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also.. we have a seat that can't be removed from the car and it's not really been a problem. But then we do have a good natured baby. And taking her out without her waking up can be done if she's tired enough 🙂

hora
    Free Member

if you want to get a sleeping baby, undisturbed, out of the car.

I worried that we'd have this problem (dont have the travel system) but I realised from before we paid out that he wouldnt be going in and out on a regular basis anyway. Say twice a week.

You don't tend to drive regularly with a newborn/newbie anyway!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ours goes in one car or another every day.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My wife does – she goes all over with them to all sorts of baby events in order to meet other mums and so our girls get involved with other babies – she started doing it at about 3 months IIRC. The baby seats are in/out/in/out constantly.

molgrips
    Free Member

We thought we might drive a fair bit (summer was approaching) so we got one of these

Except that rather than pay £700 we got it for £200 from eBay almost new.. we were damn lucky!

We got it because the lie-flat arrangement is really super comfy for the baby – like being in first class on a plane 🙂 And it really is a superb bit of kit going up to age 3 or so. Only down sides is it's not Isofix (although rock steady), and you can't take it out of the car.

However I always feel a bit sad when I see babies being lugged about in car seats like luggage. Whenever ours woke up getting her out of the seat, we put her in the sling and she soon fell asleep again snuggled up to Mummy or Daddy's bosom.. aah 🙂

I really do think slings are best for babies because of the warmth and closeness and the attention you can give – comforting hands, they can see your face, you tend to talk to them and so on. Can't get that being wheeled about in a pram.

hora
    Free Member

My wife does – she goes all over with them to all sorts of baby events in order to meet other mums and so our girls get involved with other babies – she started doing it at about 3 months IIRC. The baby seats are in/out/in/out constantly.

Hmm fair point. Mine seems to just push him round everywhere (weathers good)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can't get that being wheeled about in a pram.

Get a double and sit in it with baby and get Mrs Molgrips to push the two of you then 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mine seems to just push him round everywhere

Yes my wife does when she has time, but we live a little out of town so it is a good 30 minute walk to get to any of the groups and she always ends up running late because she always DID end up running late to anything ever.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a double and sit in it with baby and get Mrs Molgrips to push the two of you then

Not a bad idea.. 🙂

Bedds
    Free Member

Congrats all.. you're entering the most rewarding, scary, tiring and fun times of your lives…

Ours is 9 months old and I love more every day 🙂

Haven't read all responses, we went for Britax Vigour 3+.. it came with a carry cot, car seat (with Iso fix base) and a pushchair. Expensive but very very good.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Did someone say get a sling for the first 3-6 months? Best then factor in a few trips to the physio for the bad back you will get as a result!

Don't get drawn into buying the most expensive buggy, pram convertible whojamaflit thingy!

We had Mamma's and Pappas stuff and it was mediocre, but expensive (£500 15 years ago).

I'd go for a three wheeled offroady looking thing that folds down small.

Another thing we found useful for getting baby off to sleep was a cheap baby rocker (a bit like this. but not in pukey pink). Great device! Put whingy baby in it, and actuate gently with foot whilst watching TV, or whatever. Worked a treat! 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I'd go for a three wheeled offroady looking thing that folds down small.

Often very unstable when lifting over kerbs though.

Another thing we found useful for getting baby off to sleep was a cheap baby rocker (a bit like this. but not in pukey pink). Great device! Put whingy baby in it, and actuate gently with foot whilst watching TV, or whatever.

Agreed – a life-saver for the first three months. Then you need a bouncer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Best then factor in a few trips to the physio for the bad back you will get as a result!

Nah, only if you get a bad sling. This is brill, our littleun weighed 11.5kg at 6mo and I had no bad back or sore shoulders. She just got too damn big for it though being not well developed enough for her size, and the sheer weight was tiring, but it didn't put anything out.

hora
    Free Member

OP. You need to start selling your bikes now. Pointless having alot of extra clutter in the house when you can't use them IMO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OP. You need to start selling your bikes now. Pointless having alot of extra clutter in the house when you can't use them IMO.

🙁 I have to agree – I want to ride my bikes, my wife is happy for me to ride my bikes but then any spare time I have I just realise I would actually prefer to be with my girls.

molgrips
    Free Member

I still use my bikes plenty.. it can be done. Just find something that works for you.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Again, living with the woods on your doorstep and actually being able to commute via them helps a lot 🙂

uluru
    Free Member

No problems with backs and slings here either, even though other half suffers with back problems.

9lb 4 when she was born so not exactly a lightweight either

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I still use my bikes plenty.. it can be done. Just find something that works for you.

Agreed – I just find myself preferring to be doing things as a family now. I occasionally commute or have a day off work (when it is a day the girls are in childcare/wife at work) but generally it suits me to not ride as much as I used to.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Me too, I've manage a solo 24 hour and one 12 hour team race as well as normal riding in the last 15 weeks since my Daughter arrived.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Baby on the way, talk to me about Push chairs/Car seats.’ is closed to new replies.