Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Baby Name Help Please – Boy
  • clubber
    Free Member

Funnily enough it was my wife’s choice and even though she’s pretty au fait with the pro road scene she’s not a cyclist. I don’t particularly like Mr Evans either fwiw.

RustySpanner

Boddington.
    Arthur.
    Alexander.
    Archibald (never, ever ‘Archie’, it’s a fine name for a cat…..but not a person).
    Jerome.
    Saul.
    Pagan – possibly hard to live up to if he turns out a bit quiet.
    Raleigh.

Current favourite is Pargetter for a boy – a fine way to commemorate the loss of a good man. 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

I want something scientific for our kid(girl) but the missus says no. She wants Lily, which is fine by me.

First choice was Lumen, she said no to that, I like it.

If we were having a boy I would call him Kelvin, again I don’t think I would be allowed that.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Geronimo

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quirrel, you keep listening to the missus. 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrel, you keep listening to the missus.

Apparently Lumen would be shortened to Lu when we go back to Thailand to work/stay. Lu translates into something along the lines of smelly hole, which can be a reference for a fanny.

I still want it though.

I thought of Venus as well, but that was another no.

Solano, another no.

andygreener

Dylan?!

Xylene
    Free Member

For boys names you could have Bucky or Sol or Helium or Helios

bent_udder
    Free Member

You can have our spare male baby name: Flame Boy.

Make sure their middle name is ‘Danger’ too.

Actually, we really struggled with boy names, no such problem with girl names. A couple of things: Try using lists and then going back over them – one might stick out. Also, when they arrive, you’ll kind of get an idea of which name suits them within the first few hours. Sounds corny, but it seems to work.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Peregrine seems to be out of favour at present………

tankslapper
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

Major
    Captain
    Boss
    Danger
    The
    Mr
    Maximum
    Ladies-Love

teagirl
    Free Member

We have 2 boys, Justin and Jago.

Bagstard
    Free Member

We named my eight week old boy Luke Alexander, although I really wanted Logan. Whatever name you choose don’t make up the spelling, can’t stand all these made up names. Jcob???! I really hope that was a typo? ‘Well we changed a few letters, coz it’s different innit’! Aaaaaargh!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Have a look at the ‘favourite baby name’ lists.

Then don’t pick one of them and do your own thing. The last thing you want is an ‘Oliver’ in a class of 15 Olivers.

Look to see what the name can be shortened to and bastardised into – then try again. Kids can be cruel. I’m convinced some friends in Leith will have their son Sebastian known as bast*** for his entire school days!

Sue

clubber
    Free Member

Good point TooTall but I’ve always thought that kids will name call almost regardless – eg if they don’t like you they’ll find something insulting to call you so having a name that lends itself to that doesn’t really make that much difference except in the worst cases (eg the guy at school when I was 14 whose surname was ‘Alcock’ and was a ‘late developper’ – got endless stick, poor kid. It did subside by the age of 16 or so though)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Then don’t pick one of them and do your own thing. The last thing you want is an ‘Oliver’ in a class of 15 Olivers.”

Yeah we were going to go for Evie if we had a girl, turns out every one is calling their daughters Evie at the moment so glad we had a boy, who’s name has not appeared yet on the above 🙂

There was a woman on Chris Moyles this morning called Ruler ( I kid you not ! ) that would be ok for a boy too ?!?!

niallmb
    Free Member

we’ve got friends who had a baby boy yesterday and have called him ‘Rivers’ if you want to really push the boat out

hora
    Free Member

Zachary
    Casper
    Felix
    Fox
    Abraham
    Jacob
    Luther

TooTall
    Free Member

but I’ve always thought that kids will name call almost regardless

Exactly – so don’t tar your poor kid from the start – let them live by their own mistakes, not the stupidity of the parents. My name is an odd spelling (Celtic version), Mrs TT has a unique name and I wanted Ms TT to have a name we didn’t have to explain / spell to everyone.

hora
    Free Member

How can a name make someones personality? Kids arent bulled because of it at infant school. A wierd, sickly and unsociable child will be bullied whether hes called Keith or Ullyesses.

Good parenting can do so much but a child has his own ‘self’.

A popular kid will be a popular kid.

Call him whatever you want. Sick of the ‘eww he might get bulled so lets go bland’. If he has a big nose, freckles, fat, short, overly-tall, red-headed, overly-pale, big feet, big eyes, glasses etc he’ll get his fair share early on.

Just call your kid Jack or Lucas and be done with it. Everyone else will have the same name.

hels
    Free Member

I quite like the name Jonas, I think its Scandinavian.

My next cat will definitely be called Elvis. (or Elvira if I get a girl kitten).

I think children should be named after people you admire. Like Johnny for Mr Cash. Or your favourite All Black or something like Carlos Spencer.

But then I don’t have kids so will never have to apply this !

clubber
    Free Member

Ullyesses

Thanks Hora. If I have another boy at some point in the future, I now have a name for him 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

lol 😕

2. Nebuchadnezzar was king of the Babylonian empire. His exploits, which are recounted in the books of Daniel and Jeremiah, were praised by Saddam Hussein, to whom he was a hero. Mr Skinner believes in this case there is also the phonetic difficulty that puts people off. “It sounds very harsh with all those zeds. It’s not very easy to pronounce, either.”

4. Saint Philemon was the recipient of an epistle from Saint Paul in the New Testament. But whereas the name Solomon, from the wise king, is often heard, Philemon rarely is.

6. The oldest person named in the Bible, Methuselah, is said to have lived until he was 969. “If we know one thing about him, it’s that he was ancient – we use the phrase ‘as old as Methulselah’ and so on. When you have a baby boy, you aren’t going to picture him as a Methuselah. It also sounds quite Dickensian to modern ears, as do a lot of Old Testament names which were popular in the Victorian period like Ebenezer and Ezekiel.”

10. Radbod, or Radboud, was Bishop of Utrecht around 900 AD. “This is another Anglo Saxon-sounding name that you might expect to catch on,” says Mr Skinner. “Maybe it just sounded too familiar. When you have a diversity of names, people sometimes pick sounds and concept they’ve never picked before. These days, this process has become a celebrity phenomenon.”

BBC mag link

iDave
    Free Member

My boys are Abraham and Solomon or Abe and Solly

They love their names, never have been teased about them and have yet to meet clones

Bagstard
    Free Member

hora, what is your name then?I personally grew up with a difficult name. At a time I wanted to be annonymous it painted a target on me. At a new school it just starts you out on the wrong foot.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Mohammed.

hora
    Free Member

hora, what is your name then?

Mark Anthony. We were never known by our first names. EVER.

At school everyone had a nickname or called each other by their surnames.

My nickname at school was ‘the Owl’/’Owl’ as I have eyes/nose that look like one (apperently).

TooTall
    Free Member

hora didn’t need a bad name to get bullied at school – his personality did it for him! 😀

hora
    Free Member

You aren’t bullied for a name thats not even used. Only teachers refer to you by your first name. No one else does.

Bagstard
    Free Member

So you had an ordinary annonymous name and you presume to know what it’s like to have a comic one?! If Engelbert Bumstick had written your earlier post I would think fair enough, but as Anthony you don’t qualify I’m afraid.

hora
    Free Member

I suffered a period of bullying though when I changed schools after an acromonous split of my parents.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I was never bullied, but it did me no favours. You didn’t introduce yourself by your surname and in 1987 telling a girl your name is Arthur got a reply of ‘**** off!, what’s your real name, followed by laughter. Times change and Arthur is becoming popular, but I still don’t like it (changed by deed pole the moment I left school)I’m originally from Scotland where Arthur is pronounced Arthur. Moving down here I was called Arfer, not the same is it?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Kids do get bullied for many reasons, but why give the bullies more ammunition?

hora
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time someone called me by my last name (apart from my Mum and some more formal/grown up friends).

Weren’t you popular at school to have acquired a lifelong moniker?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I was popular enough, but it isn’t your friends who bother you is it? Just imagine how much fun it would have been for you, changing schools with an embarrassing name. Standing up in front of the class to introduce yourself is bad enough anyway, but…

BigJohn

Two of my kids are Rhys and Sian.

They now have to spell out their names every time they give them out, and people who send letters or try to pronounce the names always get them comically wrong so maybe that’s something to avoid. My other lad, Tom, never has this happen.

Mind you, I’ve just been listening on Radio5 to some woman bleating on about some injustice or whatever caused to her daughter called McKenzie.

I’m sorry Mrs, but with a name like that you have no human rights at all.

hora
    Free Member

McKenzie

Thats a BOYS name?!!!

Bagstard, call your children one of the disciples names then. Simplies.

Children grow and are coloured by their experiences from every aspect of their life.

If someone bullied my son for my name choice then tough, MTFU lad.

Bagstard
    Free Member

It may well be a case of DTFU hora, many times after leaving school and changing my name I gave my Dad hell for his choice. If he had his time again he would have chosen differently. There are so many things you can be bullied for, as a parent you have the power to make things easy or difficult, why would you make it harder?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Baby Name Help Please – Boy’ is closed to new replies.