Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Baby Formula Milk on Transatlantic Flight?
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

Anyone know what are the regs are on taking 200ml cartons of baby formula milk onto transatlantic flight? Is baby milk exempt from the liquids not allowed rules?
    cheers

IA

I would imagine your best bet would be to call the airport and or airline. They should be able to tell you straight away.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

phone engaged – so trying the STWmassive;)

bruneep

powder and make up with bottled water or make contact with Boots shop airside and ask them to get some in for you.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

put it into 100ml bottles job done 😉

or as above check with airline

you should be able to buy it airside in a boots concession in the duty free bit so take the lil' ones empty bottle.

Or powder and ask stewards to assist with warm water to make up on route

scuttler

If you can call Boots they will reserve you some but I think they deliberately carry gallons in the airport stores for this purpose.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

you will have to open and taste any sealed cartons, bottles etc at secdurity screening, thus contaminating it. Thus you will be forced to buy cartons of formula in Boots in the duty free shopping complex at vastly inflated prices.

Hohum
    Free Member

ballsofcottonwool – Member
    you will have to open and taste any sealed cartons, bottles etc at secdurity screening, thus contaminating it. Thus you will be forced to buy cartons of formula in Boots in the duty free shopping complex at vastly inflated prices.

100% true!

GW
    Free Member

100% bullshit

you should be asked to drink from one carton picked at random (by customs official), you can then bin it, the rest you can take on the plane.
    done this 6 times.

highclimber
    Free Member

they don't make exceptions for babies or people with a registered medical condition. its 100ml containers max upto 1lt Per person and they WILL make you bin it if its over IME

flatfish
    Free Member

as ballsofcottonwool said, heathrow made me drink out of every carton, flight wasn't for another 2 hours, flight was 11 hours, carton's have to be drank upto one hour of opening and boots had no cartons on the shelves and said they didn't stock them. JOY.
    My daughter would not touch powdered milk but would devour the same brand pre-made milk which didn't help.
    She screamed for 8 hours of the 11 hour flight. Fun was had by all on our trip to Vancouver.

GW obviously had security on a good day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Opening bottles / cartons does not make them unfit to use

Even heathrosws own rules don't have you opening evcery bottle. You should get a supervisor down if they do insist and have a copy of the rules with you. Get a looning grip FFS

From heathrow FAQs

Can I take milk powder with me to make up a bottle of milk on the plane?

Yes, you can carry milk powder.

What about bottles or cartons of prepared milk or sterilised water? Do they need to be a maximum of 100ml?

If you are travelling with an infant, these items can exceed 100ml and do not have to fit into the resealable bag. However, the amount must be sufficient for your trip only and you will be asked to taste 50 per cent of the containers. There are no limits for formula milk powder, and bottled water is available in shops after security. Your airline can provide water during the flight.

Can I buy cartons of formula milk from the shops after security?

Yes. Boots sell ready-to-drink formula in both 250ml and 500ml sizes after security. Every country which is implementing the new security arrangements has accepted that parents with babies should be able to carry sufficient baby food/milk for the journey, so "reasonable amounts" are exempted – although you will be asked to open and taste at least 50 per cent of the containers when going through BAA's UK airports

If you wish to reserve formula milk for purchase in the shops after security control, please email genres_collect@baa.com.

What happens if the baby can only tolerate non-dairy and needs soya milk or rice milk?

We are required to test at least 50 per cent of the containers that you carry with you. The milk should be in bottles.

Marge
    Free Member

this might seem a daft/odd question but was does the 'taste test' prove?

If it was possible to disguise something explosive as baby milk & you were a suicide bomber why would the would-be bomber care about taking a sip of it?

I'm never made to taste my toothpaste….

And to anyone who has been stuck on a plane with their child & an unfamiliar milk you have my sympathies. My kids were equally fussy about their milk & I dread to think of the upset.

flatfish
    Free Member

why doesn't it surprise me T-J arrived here.

Can I take milk powder with me to make up a bottle of milk on the plane?

My daughter wouldn't take powdered milk.

Can I buy cartons of formula milk from the shops after security?

Boots had no cartons on the shelf, so i asked and was told they didn't stock them.

However, the amount must be sufficient for your trip only and you will be asked to taste 50 per cent of the containers.

We were told to open each carton and try them all. Sorry, i didn't realise it was you right behind us in the queue watching what happened to us, otherwise i would've probably punched your fizzog in.

Guess what! We'd contacted heathrow and were told catagorically we would be fine to bring half a dozen cartons or so through no problem.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

I think we will cover all bases. Pre order some, take powder, breast, hope they dont check and i may stick a few 100mls up my butt, just in case.

stumpyjon

Just watch the bottled water, a lot of it has quite mineral content (not surprising as it's sold as mineral water) which isn't suitable for babies. I think Evian was Ok but it's been a while since we were in that situation.

As for the taste test, exactly the same thoughts went through my mind as Marge above. It's just another example of the marketing exercise our airports have put on to keep the politicians happy and the travelling public feel safe. From my experience of flying it would seem the easiest way to get something on board would be airside in a country flying into the UK. Security in a lot of the holiday resort airports seems a lot laxer than many UK airports. We had our bags broken into flying out of Kuala Lumpor International airport. Clearly done with the collusion of the guy operating the baggage X-ray machine as only specific items were taken from the bottom of one case. Everything had been carefully folded back, the items removed and then the stuff replaced. Not the sort of thing done during a random case search.

Travis

we took 4 bottles of food with us. Heathrow asked me to open and taste one (the bottle with a screw top, not the ones which can't be resealed)
    BA were excellent on the plane, with a choice of different foods for the little one, couldn't you just take powder, then mix the otherside. They can certainly warm it up for you on the plane, and they have water as well.

GW
    Free Member

flatfish – Member

GW obviously had security on a good day.

4 separate days, 12 sets of customs actually.. but no I don't think those people ever have a good day. 😉

Markie
    Free Member

A month ago we were allowed to take 250ml cartons of baby milk onboard still sealed. Turned up with 5 cartons and a thermos of hot water for warming the milk (plus some sealed tubs of babyfood). They told my wife she could either open a carton and drink some or pour a bit of the hot water into a cup and (once it had cooled) drink that. She drank the water, we went on our way! Flying out of Heathrow, fwiw.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Baby Formula Milk on Transatlantic Flight?’ is closed to new replies.