Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • baby carriers, would you?
  • killwillforchips
    Free Member

Hi folks
    been contemplating mounting a child seat/carrier to my bike but a bit concerned about the risk of such contraptions.
    I ride pretty safely, don’t take risks etc but given most car drivers are blind to cyclists; would they be more likely to pay attention/respect if they see a baby carrier mounted?

Opinions please?!?

richpips
    Free Member

Had one and quickly got rid.

High centre of gravity affects the bike’s handling.

Most amusing going over speed bumps though.

A trailer is far more visible on road, and imho the only option if you want to do any off road stuff.

ransos
    Free Member

Trailers are great. I find that drivers give you lots more room, probably because of the WTF? factor. Only problem is the width of the trailer means I can’t get through some barriers on paths.

A seat might work better on a cargo bike if you want to go down that route.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve done a fair old bit of riding with our Hamax Siesta on the back of the bike.

I have a close call witha car almost every day on my commute but i’ve never had anything even remotely worrying with Little S on the back.

Biggest concern is almost certainly going to be your OH complaining that you’re going too fast 😀

You can still do a decent ride with a 2 year old on the back

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve got a kiddie seat that fixes to the seat tube that sprog one has used from 1 1/2 years old and has only just outgrown it at age 5 and 20kg(ish), I like it and it’s only recently as he’s got bigger that I’ve felt like it’s been too much weight up high and back. Also got a single seat kiddie trailer that sprog 2 has used from age 1 which is also good but a bit less practical getting through gates and anti-motorbike entrances. Towing both on the hills is awesome resistance training 😀

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Interesting point on trailers.

I’ll show the wee nip’ and see which she prefers.

Thanks for the very positive and equally helpful opinions.

transapp
    Free Member

Quite happy riding on tow paths / country roads on my bike with mini T on a crossbar mounted seat. She’s been in it since 13m and still fine at 2yrs. Fits on in 5 mins, not tried proper off road as I don’t want to crash in a rock garden with the nipper!

Junkyard
    Free Member

worked well and never had an issue but i never went commuting on

The trailer gave you massive respect from every single driver though neve rever had a problem except on the school run where they did not GAS. Some good mexican stand off as i could not really reverse it

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Both mine went on a WeeRide from 6months to about 2ish – have tried a rear-mounted carrier and it made the handling weird.

WeeRide was awesome, people deffo took notice

not sure I’d use a trailer though, except off-road

bigG
    Free Member

We use an I-bert for our little one, have done since she was 18months old. She loves it, to the extent that if I put on any cycling kit and she’s not coming with me she has a wee stampy fit which consists mostly of “Bike, Bike! BIKE! BIIIIKKEEEEEE!!!!!! !” followed by tears and snotters if she doesnt get to accompany me.

I’ve done blue grade offroad trails, up to 15 miles on road, and more miles along cycle path / towpaths than I care to add up.

I think the success of it is due in no small part to the fact that she’s up at the front with me, able to interact, play with the bell and drink from my camelback. It’s a much more involved experience than being bumped along in a trailer at the back where she can’t see much.

People in cars defo take more care in passing, maybe because Amelia waves at them all and gives them a big grin.

G

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘baby carriers, would you?’ is closed to new replies.