• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • B & Q Exterior Paint – absolute garbage
  • stumpyjon

How bad!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 coats over properly applied primer and it’s still streaky as the hell. Absolute waste of money, not fit for purpose. Wish I’d read the online reviews before buying (bought in store so didn’t check), 20 reviews, 1 with 2 stars and the rest with one star. To cap it off I put the bench outside, 48hrs after putting the last coat on (drying time is 4hrs) and it immediately started to absorb the rain changing the colour, it’s supposed to dedicated exterior gloss. Water based rubbish, only saving grace is at least the brushes cleaned up easily.

Makes Shimano 105 5600 shifters seem like value for money. I’d go ride my new repaired bike to calm down but’s raining.

marcus7
    Free Member

Yep, did my garage door with it, have to wait for it to fully dry now before I sand it back to do with decent paint… 👿

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy cheap buy twice. Or maybe 4 times.

Leyland/Johnstone trade centres, every time. Life’s too short to be painting more than you have to.

marcus7
    Free Member

True dat… I still don’t know what make me do it….

project
    Free Member

B AND Q have had to recall their adopted name Valspar paint after it started smelling of cat piss

newrobdob
    Free Member

No wonder when that’s what it appears to be made of!

stumpyjon

Update, strolled into B & Q this morning, returned the quarter of a tin of paint remaining which they were happy to refund. Pointed out I had spent good number of hours prepping and painting my bench which will now need redoing. Got a tin of Dulux in exchange in the end, Dulux was nearly twice as expensive and looks to be solvent based so hopefully will cover properly.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I used to sell paint and did a bit of research on Valspar paint. As far as I can find out it’s brand name that was well renowned in the USA and I reckon B&Q bought the rights to use the name which might be why people thought it might be good when it came out.

RustyNissanPrairie

Their interior paint is utter crap as well – I had a rant on here a few months ago about it.

dubber71
    Free Member

Was going to say to take it back, I did with there bathroom paint after using it and got a refund.
    I used Dulux weather shield with no problem at all.

globalti
    Free Member

I painted my back door, which faces west so gets sun and rain, with Little Greene exterior emulsion about ten years ago and to my constant amazement it’s showing no sign at all of fading or flaking. Extremely good value.

wilburt
    Free Member

The new water based exterior paint is a game changer imo much better than oil based.

£50 a tin but well worth it.

SaxonRider

‘Garbage’?!? Do they have B&Q in the USA?

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve never used a water based paint that was anywhere near oil based paint for durability coverage and quality of finish. Absolute tosh all of it. Only use crown oil based now, never had a problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We had out pebbledash house painted in Dulux exterior paint. They thought it would take 3-4 coats to cover it….
    It took 2 and it’s fantastic. Great finish, I’m impressed.

NOTE
    ‘Nutmeg’ is actually slightly pink though. Be warned…… 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

@inbred I would have said the same until having the house painted a couple of years ago. I’m not sure we are talking about the same stuff.

The painters who did all the hard to reach bits put me in to it.

Two years on even the parts I painted are as new, less prep easier to use. Normally they would be ready to do again.

newrobdob
    Free Member

We had out pebbledash house painted in Dulux exterior paint. They thought it would take 3-4 coats to cover it….
    It took 2 and it’s fantastic. Great finish, I’m impressed.

They probably used Dulux trade exterior paint, their trade stuff is wonderful paint, covers so well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s supposed to dedicated exterior gloss. Water based rubbish, only saving grace is at least the brushes cleaned up easily.

In general I’ve found that water based gloss is pretty pish. I was painting my sons bedroom a couple of weeks ago and painted the woodwork with water based dulux gloss, it just doesn’t cover. Used some oil based and it was a million times better. Water based stuff will do as undercoat.

stumpyjon

Little Greene, interesting, they’re half way through building a brand new factory next door to my plant on Manchester, wonder if we can get a discount.

IHN

their trade stuff is wonderful paint, covers so well.

I’ve never understood this; why is there ‘trade’ paint and ‘normal’ paint? Why make two different kinds of the same thing?

wilburt
    Free Member

The stuff I’m talking about is exterior paint and if it was poor I suspect at £50 a tin you would be taking it back not using it as undercoat.

unovolo
    Free Member

Painted a bike frame with the Valspar rattle cans(bear in mind I have painted loads of stuff previously with rattle cans from various manufacturers previous and know all about good prep) anyway the paint goes on nice, however its about as durable as tissue paper you could rub the paint off with your thumb.

Stripped it and did it again with some Halfords rattle cans(about 1 of the only things Halfords seems to be good at) and had no probs.

Regards water based Gloss, tried some Aldi stuff and its truly shite, not glossy, goes on streaky even after several coats and again you can peel it off.

Now using Leyland trade which is sublime in comparison.

ahsat

I’ve never understood this; why is there ‘trade’ paint and ‘normal’ paint? Why make two different kinds of the same thing?

We have a trade place closer to us than a domestic place so we ended up with trade paint for the first time this year. Long story, but as a result of chatting to them, we found out that trade paint is 50:50 paint to water, whereas domestic paint is 25:75. Thats why trade paint is so much more expensive, but have to say, the quality of the paint in our kitchen is excellent and looks like it will wear well. Guess that a lot of domestic users won’t pay the cost.

newrobdob
    Free Member

The trade paint we’ve been buying is miles better than the standard but it isn’t really any more expensive, well not loads anyway. The fact that you need less coats to get proper coverage more than makes up for it and probably makes it cheaper anyway.
    I used Macphersons trade white eclipse emulsion for new plaster, watered first coat down by 30% and nearly got away with only 1 more coat to finish the job (was slightly patchy but that might have been my crap painting technique), i was amazed by its coverage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s worth the extra pennies for trade, I want to spend as little time as possible painting tbh, also my local trade place is much cheaper for sundry items such as rollers, brushes etc than BQ etc and they’re better quality too.

I believe the named dulux/crown that the likes of wilko sell is even more watered down.

bigh
    Free Member

Zinsser All coat exterior, very good but theres no high gloss finish. Now comes in a solvent version which is good for the UKs dodgy weather, dries almost as fast as waterbased. Rustoleum also do a similar as do Sadolin now, possibly all the same recipe. One tin systems, no seperate primer or undercoat, its the way forward.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve got to paint an asbestos waste pipe this summer. Not looking forward to it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘B & Q Exterior Paint – absolute garbage’ is closed to new replies.