Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Ay up lights – views and experiences please
  • iainc

indeed, that’s why I said

the new Ayup’s are brighter on paper than the Joystick 5. having tested 2011 versions of both side by side on the trail there is negligible difference

😛

malibu_babe_28
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2009 set of AyUps and my husband has a Joystick and a Hope Vision 4. The Ayups seemed brighter/better to me than the Joystick having ridden with both at Mountain Mayhem. Particularly if we pair a head mounted set of AyUps/Joystick with the vision 4 – the Joystick adds very little useful light, but the Ayups seem to pair better with the Vision 4 on the bars.

I’ve been very pleased with my Ayups – they’ve worked faultlessly even in terrible weather conditions, and as others have said the battery life is consistently better than the 3/6 hours advertised.

iainc

I’ve got a 2009 set of AyUps and my husband has a Joystick and a Hope Vision 4

interesting – is it the 2011 Joystick with the new beam pattern and higher output ? The older one was 20% less bright and much narrower beam.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Love my Ayups, good aftercare and now they have a UK shipping department its faster too. Cant go wrong with them IMO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

love the ay ups had them for 3 years now, my gf got some and they account for around 30% of our night riding group.

Use the 2 light setup but with a hope 4 on the bars you should be spot on. How many batteries do you get with the ay up single? this time of year worth keeping a battery and light in pack just for late finishes

Stuuey

My ayups are >2 years old,I use them twice a week and travel on my local trails at normal speed. All my issue with the old ones have been sorted with the new design my mates have.
    I’ve asked the guys in UK ayup a couple of questions via email this last year and they have responded fast with good news. Eg. 30% off new batteries to replace the old ones, not that I need to yet.

wiltsrover
    Free Member

Another vote for ay-ups, had mine 3 years, narrow on helmet and wide on bars and they have survived the Bonty 24-12, CLIC24 and Set2Rise along with the weekly night ride and winter commuting. So had some hammer including me landing on them at least twice with no problems.

epicyclo

Mine are now 2 years old. Bought them in Oz from the shop.

Prior to that I have spent a fortune on lights, basically getting a new set each year.

The great thing about the AyUps is that they are a system, and it works really well.

69er
    Free Member

Mine are now 2 years old. Bought them in Oz from the shop.

Prior to that I have spent a fortune on lights, basically getting a new set each year.

The great thing about the AyUps is that they are a system, and it works really well

OK, cut and paste quote, but exactly the same applies here. I’m really pleased with mine.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Getting a bit repetitious but:

‘Older’ AyUps for three winters, used fairly frequently for MTB and daily for commuting. I prefer the helmet mounting over the Joystick as I can mount the laps well forward (just above the visor), the batteries on the back and the overall height of the helmet is the same. I run the cable between inside the helmet, and hence no snagging risk.

I’m about to get the light units upgraded with XPG emitters and revised optics; you can get this done by AyUp but requires return to Oz (they reckon 10day turnaround).

I do find they don’t produce the overall levels of light that say Trouties offerings do, however I don’t have ‘shadowing’ problems from mates lights as I’m always too far off the back of the group…

Overall, v. happy.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Ay up lights – views and experiences please’ is closed to new replies.