Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Axe the Beer Tax
  • DPM

Do you enjoy a post ride beer in your local? Enjoy trying different & local beers? Love the sociability of meeting your mates in the pubs? Worried about the number of ‘to let’ signs on your local pubs? Well have a read of this & please consider showing your support….

http://www.axethebeertax.com/

Today, a customer buying a pint of beer for £2.50 pays 80p in tax. This is one of the highest tax rates in the world – and means that the Government now makes 50 times the brewer’s profit on each pint sold.

We are setting out five demands to give this industry the breathing space it needs to arrest the decline and maintain its place in Britain’s social and economic life.

Our five demands:
    1. to axe plans to increase beer tax even further
    2. to enforce existing laws – not create new ones – to deal firmly with irresponsible drinkers and premises
    3. to end the irresponsible promotion of alcohol in supermarkets, pubs and elsewhere
    4. to trust responsible adults to make informed choices about what they drink, not punish them for the actions of an irresponsible minority
    5. to support the British pub as a vital part of social life in local communities

Please can I ask for your help in signing up to the Axe the Beer Tax campaign By entering your postcode, the system will automatically generate an email to your local MP. This will take you a couple of minutes at the most.

Thanks & Cheers

http://www.axethebeertax.com/

gwaelod
    Free Member

Where should the government recoup the deficit in taxation from?

Increase VAT on singlespeed frames?

It’s a meaningless, rabblerousing nonsense to say “cut tax on x” unless you define how you would replace the tax loss…ie which services/jobs you cut or which other taxes you would put up to compensate.

Poor effort, 2/10

Stoner
    Free Member

Increase VAT on singlespeed frames?

I see a win/win here.

Stoner
    Free Member

personally, I shall just take it upon myself to drink more real ale in my local pub. I support my publican, Im suppporting my local brewer, and through the tax system I am supporting my next bonus payment* too… 🙂
    .* Kidding!

grumm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind if they made shit lager more expensive in supermarkets and pubs, but kept nice beers lower priced. 😛

andym
    Free Member

I’m all in favour of supporting country pubs, but do with the rates of alcohol-related disease on the increase do we need more people drinking more?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5idwc4SstRGU62lPWByoprQmpuYYw

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’d be more willing to sign up to an ‘axethepubco’ campaign.

darrell
    Free Member

quit your whining. try living in Norway ffs.

7 quid a pint anyone

whytetrash

Booze and fags will cripple the NHS eventually….up the tax on fags I say!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am sympathetic to this. As to the lost tax revenue, we could start by saving expenditure on patronising advertisements telling me that if I have one or two small ales I will DIE.

But it won’t get traction. Asking people to behave like responsible adults is not in vogue politically.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i can afford ££2.50 for a pint (actually it’s £2.65 in my local). However, most of the shellsuit wearing gadgie scum which infest many of our cities today would prefer spending that money on their souped up saxo’s, so it keeps them out of the pubs i like drinking in. Lower the price = more scum in pubs – nah, leave them to their happy hours in wetherspoons, i’ll pay to keep them there.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You should all move to the Yorkshire region, drink Sam Smiths and revel in £1.50 or less pints of beer, full of nothing but natural ingredients – no artificial preservatives, colours or that rubbish.

And (once accustomed to the taste) one of the best tasting ‘session’ beers around.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Taxation – just a sophisticated version of demanding money with menaces…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Obesity will cripple the NHS IMHO. Raise the tax on fast food.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Axe the Beer Tax’ is closed to new replies.