Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Awesome bits of kit
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Water water everywhere, and now a drop to drink.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Changed the Game and gained massive media publicity too..

bikebouy
    Free Member

tomhoward

Over 600 parts, in something you can easily fit in one hand…

And designed (in part) in a concentration camp, by an inmate.

(Beat me to it Ben)

bencooper
    Free Member

And designed (in part) in a concentration camp, by an inmate.

And, perhaps most amazingly, mass-produced in the hundreds of thousands, in the days before CAD.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Biggest piece of kit I’ve ever seen afloat and working…

SSCV Thialf is the world’s largest crane vessel. Its dual cranes provide for depth reach lowering capability as well as heavy lift capacity up to 14,200 tonnes…. dynamic positioned precision.

aracer
    Free Member

avdave2

Mine continually makes me feel like I’m living in the future.

Whereas everything you actually see it do is happening in the past. That makes it even more mindblowing 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Modern cars – coming from a, designed in the 70’s, Defender to a modern car it is amazing how they have progressed and how easy they make driving.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nico
    Free Member

Brazilian bottle-opener. c. 1950s

In active use today.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The Stratolaunch

More info here

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bikebuoy – in dinghy terms, shouldn’t “awesome bit of kit” be

aracer – fancy a day out with some friends? The Linlithgow Union Canal Society hire canal boats for day trips. £180 for a “long day” hires a boat with a max capacity of 12 but comfortable for 8-10 and the hire is long enough to get to Falkirk, through the Wheel and back. The Wheel’s pretty amazing but standing on an open deck whilst going through it really is something to be experienced. Done it a couple of times, wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmm, I’d say no. For the simple reason Mirrors could be made from flat pack kits and either rowed, sailed or a seagull outboard fitted. You could also assemble a prepreg kit on the slipway and go sailing, or just build one up and leave it built for 40 years.

We have plenty of 70’s Mirrors at the club still going strong.

Nico
    Free Member

We have plenty of 70’s Mirrors at the club still going strong.

On a less flippant note: could they sail to Iceland?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hmm, I’d say no. For the simple reason Mirrors could be made from flat pack kits and either rowed, sailed or a seagull outboard fitted. You could also assemble a prepreg kit on the slipway and go sailing, or just build one up and leave it built for 40 years.

Surely the Wayfarer is heading into that cat too?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

All of which (apart from flat pack),you could say about Wayfarers, which are bigger, take more passengers, can race, cruise or singlehandedly potter about. Mines is now fitted with slab and roller reefing ready for some west coast cruising – not with a Mirror. Also, the sail no indicates it’ll be 50 next year and in no need for any work.

yetidave
    Free Member

If we are getting into awesome sailing boats, I put forward the Farr 30.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Your choice, I don’t agree that’s why I put the Mirror up.

Upside down awesome..

yetidave
    Free Member

shame it never really worked!

matt_outandabout

Our original set are now 16 years old, and I just sold them still working to another forumite. They have had one re-build and two fresh fluids in that time.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Awesome bits of kit’ is closed to new replies.