Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • aw – drivetrain recommendations
  • aw
    Free Member

mainly road bike this one…with open derailer systems what is the best lub and what sort of frequency to aplly and clean etc?

Previously I used to spray on a bit of WD40 or GT85 at regular intervals and never bother to clean off. I have bought a rather special Condor bike and want to treat it right so re-thinking that strategy.

Last weekend I used the WD40 to CLEAN the chain and re-applied cross country wet lube…

njee20
    Free Member

Why are you prefixing your numerous threads with your initials? 😕

NE – lube is personal, Cross Country will last forever, but will turn into a black sludgy mess that attracts all sorts of crap. It’ll need to be reapplied once ever 24 years.

I like Squirt, it’s a bit more faff – needs to be applied to a clean chain a while before riding, but it’s very clean, and lasts well on the road, a few hundred miles between applications is fine.

aw
    Free Member

thanks…

I use ‘aw’ as prefix so I can search for posts later if I cannot track them now 😉

thansk for the recommendation…squirt

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t, it’s really annoying, particularly when you start loads. Just look down the list of topic authors.

orena45

Or go to Foum Activity in your profile

bentudder

You can find all of your posts – including ones you contribute to but don’t start – in your profile. Top right hand corner, click on your profile name and click on Forum Activity in the dropdown.

nemesis
    Free Member
    iainc

I like Squirt on MTB but not on road, where I find it gets into a claggy black lumpy mess. ProGold Prolink works well on road IMO

Northwind

WD40’s a fairly effective cleaner- it’s not far off being white spirit and mineral oil in a can. Though it can be too effective, and chase lube out from inside the links which is less easy to get back in. Not an effective lube though, too lightweight and solvented.

v666ern
    Free Member

I use ‘aw’ as prefix so I can search for posts later if I cannot track them now

you know that wont work dont you? You need more than 2 letters…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘aw – drivetrain recommendations’ is closed to new replies.