Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avro Heritage Centre, Woodford. Anyone been?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Only just found out about this and it is only 30 mins from home so me and my lad might pop down and have a look over the summer.

Has anybody been?

Was it any good?

Can you get in the cockpits?

IHN

My mum and dad went with their friends, said it was great. I think you can get in some of the cockpits.

I miss the Woodford airshow, was a highlight of my childhood Poynton summers. My mate lived on a farm next to the airfield, we used to sit on a gate about 50ft from the runway, was pretty loud when the Vulcan or Lightning was giving it full beans 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was an apprentice there in the first half of the ’90’s. I’m amazed there is anything left there. It was always rumoured that it was going to close and become a big housing estate or industrial estate. Not great for a young person looking for a career in Aerospace engineering and ultimately was the reason for me leaving after coming back from Uni as I just didn’t have any confidence the place had a future, and turns out I was right.

The airshows were brilliant I had access to the flight sheds so spend time in the summer bunking off college lectures and sauntering around all the aircraft as they gathered ahead of the airshow chatting to the pilots and support crew’s. Nearly bagged a back seat flight in an SU27, but one of the big bosses turned up and nicked my seat! I grew up with Vulcans and Nimrod AEW’s over-flying my house as a kid on the approach to Woodford, a sight I took for granted back then.

I’ll have to swing by next time I’m in the area. The site has a fantastic history and heritage and a place in the aviation history of this country, so I’d expect the museum to be well worth a visit.

routier
    Free Member

I went last year and loved it even though I’m not particularly interested in planes. That should give you an idea of how good it is.

It’s possible to access a Vulcan cockpit with a guide who will tell you all about the aircraft and answer any questions you have. Book a slot when you arrive though as it’s popular. They were also due to add extra cockpit sections etc when we were there so there should be even more to look at now.

nbt

Avro closed and it’s now a big housing estate. The museum is still there though, Mrs NBT keeps saying we must go one day

nbt

Bump – it’s the Air Fair this Sunday. £10 includes entrance to the museum. Lancaster flypast on the timetable

slowoldman

Ooh shall have to cycle over on Sunday.

Harry_the_Spider

Just got back.

I got to sit in a Vulcan!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Oooh. Only 5 mins away from me, I should go. Fortunate enough to have seen the Vulcan do a few fly pasts before it retired.

Woodford aerodrome is now one big housing development.

Harry_the_Spider

I should go

You should.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avro Heritage Centre, Woodford. Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.