Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Avon skin so soft?
  • Bunnyhop

I'm sitting here with the Avon brochure open on my knees. It's totally confusing to my tiny brain which of the several products on show is the correct one for the midge repelling? E.g would I be better getting the 'go for glow' with spf15 or just the common or garden' summersoft smoothing lotion?

What's a girl to do?

clareymorris

This one, in the green bottle!

The dry oil spray………

ton

ladies….why does this stuff not work for me.
    useless in scotland for the last 3 years.

clareymorris

I dont know Tony – and it does work for me cus I did a test. Some SSS on one arm, none on the other, in the Red Squirrel campsite (midge HEAVEN). There was a noticeable difference. Midges would approach sprayed arm, but not linger whereas other arm……….chomp chomp chomp!!!

On the other hand (can you see what I did there) I'm not sure it would last that long and think I need to re-apply fairly regularly but hey – it keeps my skin so soft too ;-D

Bunnyhop

Thanks clareymorris. I got a few nibbles on Monday night's Peaks ride.

Ton – you're just too sweaty, it's what they go for you know 😳

ton

gonna get a mesh all in one made for this years trip…. 😉

clareymorris

Ohhh yes I'm just picturing that RIGHT now!!! 😯

Bunnyhop

😆

Oh now Clare in my catalogue it doesn't have that green bottle!

clareymorris

It is popular – it is in ebay at 1.99 last i looked (about 5 mins ago!)

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

It doesnt work for a lot of people. Midges still land on you and the still rub their jaws on you (midges bont bite), the oil simply lubes the skin so that you dont get irritated or take longer to get irritated by the jaw rubbing action. On that note I suspect that the ultimate midge repellent may well be KY jelly.

juan
    Free Member

Well i am sure a lady as gorgeous as you already have such soft skin (he he), but as mrs morris says, it's very popular. Most of the outdoor shop I have visited had some on display. Maybe it's just a case to pop in a blacks or similar.
    It did work for me though 😀

kennyp
    Free Member

It doesn't work that well for me. A lot of folk swear by it though.

phiiiiil

We just got back from a trip around the highlands and islands; not a midge was seen. Our bottles of SSS and various repelling contraptions went entirely unused* – truly it is the time of year to go.

Actually after a fairly windy walk the gf tried SSS for its intended purpose as a moisturiser and decided it was crap… 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah not overly impressed with it (used it on and off for a couple of years), just seems to act as a barrier oil rather than a repellent so probably just as effective to use cheap cooking oil instead :p

samuri
    Free Member

If you're having trouble getting hold of the appropriate product, give me a shout. My wife is an Avon rep and she should be able to sort you out.

hora
    Free Member

I've still got two brand new bottles in my drawer from a year ago.

(checked) its in pink bottles. Not the right stuff?

Surfr
    Free Member

I tried some last year and rather than repel, it just swamped the blighters. I found loads of them dead on my arm at the end of the ride but I'd not felt them at all.

coffeeking
    Free Member

SSS was useless for me.

Ton – you're just too sweaty, it's what they go for you know

Nope, its the CO2 you breathe out that they go for, and they can "see" it from 200m!

hora
    Free Member

Like sweat attracting lots of dust… I imagine you look gnarly (all dusted up) after long hot summers ride 😀

Jellybaby
    Free Member

gonna get a mesh all in one made for this years trip

Wear red n blue too n you'll look just like Spiderman 😆

hora
    Free Member

I'd honestly love to go to the world cup at Fort Bill. I can't though as I really react to Midge swarms 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just scoff antihistamines and ignore the bites, it's all good.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Or get drunk! Always works for me at Fort Bill! 😀

hora
    Free Member

My bites always bubble up and become sceptic. What gives?! Do I have whimps blood!?

verses

Just to confirm what others have said, this is the one;
    http://www.alternativeinsectrepellent.co.uk/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DEET in high concentrations is the only answer. The avon stuff has an effect but if you want proper protection nothing works like DEET

richmtb

My bites always bubble up and become sceptic. What gives?! Do I have whimps blood!?

Mine too they come up in yellow blisters its horrible.

Skin so soft works a little bit various other repelants work as well but the best defence I have against them is trying to cover up as much as possible (not always pratical though) and trying not to stop

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

become sceptic

Sceptical about what? 😉

DEET in high concentrations is the only answer.

Agreed – is it Jungle Formula that is about double the DEET of most normal brands? Not to be used when pregnant though I believe.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Avon skin so soft?’ is closed to new replies.