• This topic has 141 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by teef.
Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Avoiding the Jubilee
  • ransos
    Free Member

If we where in the USA (a republic) we would have more holidays so lose a lot more money. Just think of the wedding last year and the jubilee this year as our “national days” something the TUC have been after

Paid leave in the US is typically half the amount we get here. So you’re wrong.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Paid leave in the US is typically half the amount we get here. So you’re wrong.

It was an example in US having more holidays. If we had more holidays because we for example where a republic we would have more days off costing £6bn-£1.2bn.

teef
    Free Member

If we had something worth celebrating it would be worth the cost. What about Republic day – the day we became citizens not subjects and got rid the royal family.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If we had something worth celebrating it would be worth the cost. What about Republic day – the day we became citizens not subjects and got rid the royal family.

IF it happens then fair enough party time. Won’t happen in my life time so i’ll party with what’s going on now.

Duggan

I’m not massively militant about this and people want to have the monarchy and believe in it, then fine.

But for me I don’t understand the whole ‘they bring in revenue for the country’ argument. The principle and concept of a monarchy is either right or wrong and if it’s wrong than the amount of revenue they produce is an utterly moot point.

Secondly, if hypopthetically there was a massive acopolaypse and everyone on STW went to the STW bunker and emerged safe and sound to a derelict, destroyed world. We would start the long and arduous process of building a society or some kind of collective again. The only silver lining, we would probably think, is that we have the chance to re-build a society that can omit the mistakes of the past. Then somebody suggests that what we should do is have them as an unelected, self-appointed leader who we all pay money to so they can govern us and be in charge. Would anyone seriously agree to that? The concept is surely wrong. So if it would be wrong then, it’s wrong now.

Lastly, I think what a lot of people like about the Royal Wedding/Jubilee is the community spirit, togethorness, feeling of patrioticness etc. I can totally understand this, but don’t think we need to confuse these with the royal family. We could still have days that celebrate these things, but could be national democracy day or whatever.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member
    It was an example in US having more holidays. If we had more holidays because we for example where a republic we would have more days off costing £6bn-£1.2bn.

That’s a very peculiar argument. Disbanding the monarchy doesn’t automatically lead to more public holidays…. nor does it lead to Barak Obama or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad becoming our president or adopting the Stars and Stripes.

The cost of the monarchy is irrelevant.

It’s the psuedo-divine-appointment, deference and inequality that is the issue.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Lastly, I think what a lot of people like about the Royal Wedding/Jubilee is the community spirit, togethorness, feeling of patrioticness etc. I can totally understand this, but don’t think we need to confuse these with the royal family. We could still have days that celebrate these things, but could be national democracy day or whatever.

Exactly. The masses fail to make that distinction, because most people don’t give such things any thought. They just do what they’ve always done and the media love a royal story.

There’s no shortage of patriotism in republics.

ransos
    Free Member

They have less holiday in the US. So you’re wrong.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

They have 10 this year??

ransos
    Free Member

They have 10 this year??

In addition to other paid leave, which is around half what we get. Overall, Americans get significantly less holiday than we do.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So i’m wrong on the money and your wrong on the amount of days??

we’ve turned a thread about the jubilee into an argument about the USA

TBH If this was in the pub i’d have got bored ages ago and asked if you fancied a game of darts instead.

ransos
    Free Member

So i’m wrong on the money and your wrong on the amount of days??

No, you’re wrong and I’m right.

Some republics get less holiday than us (e.g. the USA)and some get more (e.g. Germany). It’s wrong to argue that if we were a republic, we would get more days off. Who is our head of state has nothing to do with it.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Spent the Royal Wedding up Cut Gate last year. Going to Lee Quarry on Monday

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

probably wouldn’t have got that game of darts then 🙁

Still yet to see the USA having less holidays but hey, I live in england under a monarch and have a jubilee party to go too 🙂

stumpyjon

6:30, Saturday morning the taxi is picking us up for our holiday to Florida, shall miss the whole thing and England will probably be out of Euro 2012 by the time we get back, bonus.

billysugger
    Free Member

From the people I have spoken to who seem to be getting enthusiastic about it it’s either:

a) An excuse for a paaaaaaaartee

or

2) A little light, cloaked middle class racism

Just my experience.

binners

As a commited royalist I recently spent £250,000 at a celebrity auction on Geri Halliwells famous union jack dress. I’ve had to have it altered slightly, and shall be proudly sporting it, paired with suitable killer heels and a ginger wig, at a local street party.

I’ll make sure I post pictures up

billysugger
    Free Member

You should drop the b and add a w for that…and only slightly?!

As the brother of a committed fan of razzle I could post some NSFW pictures of the aforementioned Ms Halliwell. Naughty girl.

Brother’s, honest.

aa
    Free Member

I am sat right in the middle of some OTT bunting, flags etc etc.

My desk is the only one out of 24 with no such shite….

Roll on home time.

teef
    Free Member

Cheer up Republicans we may have something to celebrate after all – the weather forecast for London on Sunday is a total washout. With a bit of luck the royal barge will be swamped and sink without a trace.

teef
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Avoiding the Jubilee’ is closed to new replies.