Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avios Points and wine
  • footflaps

I seem to have rather a lot of BA Airmiles (300k) and was thinking about spending them (but not on flights).

Is BA wine any good? I don’t seem to be able to get a list of the actual wines, hence hard to know…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pV9D1M]Untitled[/url] by brf, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

use the avios points for a trip to Angers, on the Loire. Hire a car and I can give you a list of excellent wine producers to go and visit instead.

The avios wine is all Laithwaites stuff and they havent sold decent wine for years.

Stu_N

Bit of a mixed bag from laithwaites – on other hand it is free wine. The everyday will be 6quid bottles, premium 10-12 quid I’d assume.

IMO Best use of Avios is either upgrades to Business (if available) or as currency via the main Avios scheme, you can book ferries, hotels, anything really. It’s about 10k Avios = £60.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, agreed with the above. I use my Avii to upgrade family holidays to Club or First.

footflaps

IMO Best use of Avios is either upgrades to Business (if available)

Don’t fly BA any more, work has now moved to the US and mainly use Delta / Virgin at the moment, so miles are going to expire soon hence I’d better use them up.

Holiday wise, we tend to use EasyJet.

footflaps

Yep, agreed with the above. I use my Avii to upgrade family holidays to Club or First.

How do you manage that, every time I’ve looked you seem to have to book years in advance to get the upgradeable allocation on each flight?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@footflaps I thought the new Avios didn’t expire, IME the new system is much better than the old. Upgrades do depend on timing, for busy periods/routes you do have to book well in advance. I use BA for holidays more than the budget airlines not least as extra luggage allowance and sports kit (skis/bike etc) go free.

I can answer the question on the wine as we tend to buy most of ours direct from the producer when on holiday in France, in many cases 50%-70% cheaper than shops (not least due to UK duty). You can’t do these trips with a plane as you cannot fit 200 bottles into your luggage !

As a final point, I think (needs checking) you can invite a friend to be part of your friends/famliy group then they can spend your miles and they can pay you something for them

footflaps

@footflaps I thought the new Avios didn’t expire

They do if you don’t use BA for 24 months or something like that….

As for the wine, lets just say all my relatives will be getting a box of 12 this xmas!

mefty
    Free Member

I use my Avii

Avios would not be a second declension noun so Avii should not be used in the plural, it could be argued that it has a greek etymology in which case there may be an argument to use Avio as the plural.

footflaps

it iscould be argued

Grammar Police Fail…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@footflaps – book a flight then, its not rocket science 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avios Points and wine’ is closed to new replies.