• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by km79.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aviemore beginning of Jan
  • maracucho
    Free Member

Looking at nipping up to Scotland either for new year or a few days in the first week of January. We were hoping to book a cottage for a week and rope some friends in to split the cost but, alas, we haven’t got any friends (who are keen). Cottages aren’t cheap so we’re now looking at other options, perhaps for 4 nights instead of a whole week.

What can anyone suggest accommodation wise?

Must be:
    Suitable for family of three.
    Clean, warm and cheap.
    Close-ish to a Munro or two, if possible.
    Not so remote that we won’t be able to get there if it snows.

Currently thinking of Aviemore. Any better options?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why do you want to be close to a Munro or two? Is it to look at or walk up?

In January I wouldn’t be going near a Munro without crampons and winter mountaineering experience

legend
    Free Member

http://aviemoreholidaypark.com/ might have a chalet that fits the bill?

matt_outandabout

Speak to Cairngorm hostel – you can get family rooms, kitchen is great, warm and comfy. But it is a youth hostel. Membership = £1.

Badaguish also have a couple of lodges.

Some of your comments about friends not keen and Munro in winter has my over-concerned-bloke-on-internet antennae twitching…I presume you have winter experience?

matt_outandabout

Also, when you say the first week, what dates do you mean?

Lots of folk stay extra day of Hogmanay (most expensive stay of the year) and some of our schools are off.

hodgynd
    Free Member

We stayed here end of May /early June ..not quite Aviemore but not far off ..
    https://lochinsh.com/accomodation/
    Great place by the way ..restaurant on site

maracucho
    Free Member

Thanks for those suggestions. I will check them out.

I have some winter mountaineering experience but don’t normally take the family so normally I would rough it. Daughter is four so hoping to take her out to play in the snow.

Cheers.

seosamh77
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    But it is a youth hostel. Membership = £1.

deal breaker!

scotroutes

First week in January is likely to be busy/expensive as lots of folk come up to see in the New Year. You might be lucky to get a part-week once some have left.

Certainly no shortage of accommodation in the area generally. A small house in the Dalnabay/Silverglades area isn’t rustic or cute but will be warm, lean and relatively cheap.

Access is almost guaranteed as it’s on the A9.

Also look at Kingussie and Carrbridge. Not too far away but might save you a few bob.

Assuming we have snow then Cairngorm itself is fairly straightforward once you dodge the skiers. If the snow us low enough then there’s a decent sledging area at the Hayfield in Glenmore.

It’s difficult to think of somewhere else with complete an offering as Aviemore. Braemar/Ballater possibly, Fort William/Fort Augustus, Pitlochry at a push.

km79
    Free Member

Its not a recommendation as I’ve never stayed there but I seen this is available in Braemar for New Year.

http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cottages/highlands/aberdeen-morayshire/da9-highland-belfry?searchId=eb13a6d1-4ea2-4ffb-8516-1521abc75b4e

Might be others around worth looking at.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aviemore beginning of Jan’ is closed to new replies.