Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Avid pad retention pin – aaaggghhhh!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m a slow learning, I must have had at least 3 seize over the last year. Just spent an hour attempting to fix with a bolt extractor, drill bit then finally hacksaw. I’ve been using a little Antiseize when I install them, but it doesnt help. They use too small a hex size to exert any force when trying to under, yet another rounded off…

So, I appreciate the solution is to buy some XT brakes, but in the mean time, what other ideas are there?

Can anyone post a link to a split pin that will do the job, Shimano style, or what are the prospects of a paper clip holding everything in place for a while?

I never get any issues with Hope’s slightly larger pin, I’m tempted to send the brake set back to Rockshox/Avid if I can find my receipt.

stumpy01

What…? The little bolt that holds the pads in on Elixirs?
    How tight are you doing it up?
    Are you using decent Allen keys?
    You are only supposed to nip it up. Not torque the bollocks out of it…I have found if you tighten them a bit too tight, the head tends to bind a bit with the paint on the caliper.

You could use some wire wrapped through – or get any suitable sized split pin & use that instead – that’s what my old Magura Juries used…

nealglover
    Free Member

Never had one stuck.

But as above, they don’t need to be tight, just nipped up.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

In my defence, one of the stuck pins was on a pre-built bike I bought recently.

Anyone know if a standard Shimano split pin is the right size?

montylikesbeer

Just give it a tiny nip up, no need to over tighten.

If your concirned put a drop of anti seize on the thread

kendo954
    Free Member

they are grand you must be nipping it up to much.

if you need a pin they come with origional pads

BenjiM

I’ve had this happen on Elixir 5’s. Not too tight just seized up.

dantsw13

I’d take this as a lesson to get a good set of Allen keys. I’ve rounded heads with cheap ones, but never with my Park Tools ones.

argoose
    Free Member

Buy 3mm splits from halfords, job done

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Avid pad retention pin – aaaggghhhh!’ is closed to new replies.