Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Avid Juicy Ultimate Problems
  • amphibian
    Free Member

Anyone know if ordinary Juicy pistons and seals will work in a Juicy Ultimate caliper? I'm having problems with pistons sticking in and when trying to fix it I've scratched a piston and made it worse. Seems that the Ultimate parts kit is hard to get hold of and also very expensive.

Hadge
    Free Member

I think they are exactly the same as normal Juicy's as it's basically what the actual caliper is made of that's the big difference and obviously the levers. Give CRC a call and ask them as they have loads of spares too. Mine don't appear any different to the Carbons and 7's I used to run.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to clean and lube the pistons rather than a calliper rebuild.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

If not maintained the pistons will corrode and stick – I've a Juicy 7 caliper that I just cannot get the pistons out of (molegrips/compressors/the lot).

I got piston/seal kit for £11 from my LBS, but CRC also.

amphibian
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. I was hoping that the parts would be the same as the other juicys, but then I saw that there is an ulimate specific parts kit which put doubt in my mind. Think I might drop SRAM tech support a line…..

foxyrider
    Free Member

The Carbons and Ultimate have got phelolic "bakerlite" pistons?

Oh – looks like the 7's and 5's also have them 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11972

Edit: I thought my juicy carbons had a metal peg in the piston?

tommytowtruck

Only 8 quid at JE James (the ones I received didn't have the metal "pip" in the centre – it's the same material as the piston)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/avid-juicy-pressure-foot-kit-id33896.html

I've bought some to do my Juicy Carbons which I buggered up when trying to free a sticky piston. Apparently a very thin smear of grease on the piston sides when installing them helps to prevent them sticking in the future. Not got round to replacing them yet though.

IA

Sticky pistons is a classic ultimate issue. No idea how to solve it tho other than a good service.

If you ever have to pop the pistons out to change seals, do yourself a favour and change the pistons too. They get brittle and chances are you'll knack them.

My juicy 3s have all plastic pistons. My ultimates and (older) fives have the metal pin.

amphibian
    Free Member

Is the consensus that 'ordinary' juicy pistons and seals should be ok?

randy
    Free Member

Is the consensus that 'ordinary' juicy pistons and seals should be ok?

Did this get resolved, got problems with my Ultimates too, damaged piston.
    Ta
    Randy

u02sgb
    Free Member

Yeah I ordered what I thought was Juicy 5 seals and got a Juicy ultimate kit. If all you want is the seals and pistons they're identical. There are different seals included though (e.g. the Reservoir cap seal).

Stu.

randy
    Free Member

So just to confirm this kit http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11972
    will fit my ultimates?
    Cheers for the quick reply
    Randy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy Ultimate Problems’ is closed to new replies.