Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid Juicy Brakes – re-setting callipers
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.
    I have replaced the pads on my Juicy 3 brakes a month or so ago and they we`re a little tight so hoped that through a bit of wear they would loosen off.
    This hasn`t happened and in fact as the temperature has sort of increased are now tighter.
    Does anyone have any tips to get the callipers further back and what are the best tools to use for this.
    Also is it possible that I need to get the the brakes bled and re set.
    Cheers

honourablegeorge

The Dot fluid in juicys absorbs water over time – so the volume inside increases a little, you need to lose a tiny smidge of fluid.

There’s a small torx head screw on the lever. Looses it off a tiny bit (only a quarter turn or so) and push the calipers back carefully. A small bead of fluid will appear around the screw as you do it. Once the calipers are in position, tighten up the screw again and wipe off the fluid.

Mooly
    Free Member

Lovely. I`ll give it a go.
    Any advice on what tool to use to push callipers back with?

Superficial
    Free Member

Exactly as OG says. Push the pistons back with anything (screwdriver, end of a wrench). With the system ‘open’ (screw undone) there shouldn’t be much resistance. However, go gently and don’t knock the little tabs off the pistons – they can break and that’s a PITA, new piston time. It’s probably safer to leave the pads in for this (even better, use some old pads). I’m being a bit paranoid – once bitten twice shy etc.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just use a screwdriver inbetween the pads.

Milkie
    Free Member

Use a big screwdriver against OLD pads, or you will ruin the new ones!

The other option is use a 10mm box spanner, against the piston, but do not touch the middle pin! it will bend and break, meaning new piston time..

Best option is to ditch them and replace them with a decent brake. It took me 3 years of bitching/moaning to then replace them. Damn good brake when they worked properly, just didn’t work properly often!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Best option is to ditch them and replace them with a decent brake. It took me 3 years of bitching/moaning to then replace them. Damn good brake when they worked properly, just didn’t work properly often!

Agree 100% with the above

Superficial
    Free Member

I think Juicys are brakes for people who don’t mind a bit of messing around. I’ve had a few troubles with mine, but they’re always fixed after a bleed, plus it’s easy to completely dismantle and replace parts (E.g. pistons). I like them. Shimano brakes seem to be less fuss, but they’re don’t seem to be repairable when they do eventually die.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Juicy’s are for people with EPIC amounts of patience or a big hammer 🙂

kane
    Free Member

I dunno – I bought a juicy 7 last year for 30 quid, slapped it on the bike and went out riding. All I’ve done to it in a year is check the pads and it’s performing pretty well. Mates can’t believe how powerful it is, although it takes a bit of getting used to to achieve any modulation.

kane
    Free Member

my experience may be unusual though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy Brakes – re-setting callipers’ is closed to new replies.