Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid Juicy brake – piston not retracting – rotor drag
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

This is on the back brake of a set of OEM Ultimate 7’s of a spesh bike. So I think it is an ultimate caliper with a 7 lever. Not sure if that makes a difference but it might.

Anyway…. the problem is that the pistons are not retacting very much at all so that even when the brake is “off” the rotor is dragging. There is no visable gap between the pads and the rotor.

There is a pad contact adjustment lever – this is currently wound all the way in (so it might be the problem) but last night tried unwounding it and nothing seemed to happen and I never reached a “stop” on unwinding.

If I push the pads apart the go back into the caliper body easily and I’ve tried to clean both pistons so I don’t think they are corroded. Pull the lever and they both move easily they just don’t go back apart quite enough….

Any suggestions appreciated.

Eggbox
    Free Member

too much fluid maybe?

speaker2animals

I had a newish Juicy 5 replaced under warranty for this problem. The pistons just would not retract when the lever was left off, to the point where it became virtually ON even with lever off. No matter what was done could’t correct the fault even though you could physically push pistons back. As soon as brake was applied pistons refused to return to OFF.

Back to your dealer?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be a back to dealer job. One of reasons for asking was to see if it was a common problem…

I’m not sure it is too much fluid as when I push the pistons back it takes a couple of pumps for the pistons to come out again so I think there is enough space in the system.

darrell
    Free Member

try some teflon spray on the pistons, in case they are sticking

otherwise get tem back to the shop

sq225917
    Free Member

Bleed em, could be air in the calipers. It was on my ELixirs, same problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dodgy seal in the lever..?

ononeorange

Sounds pretty familiar on both my sets of Avid’s…..

sweaman2
    Free Member

ononeorange – Does that mean you have a neat solution ….. 😕

ononeorange

No sadly. I look upon it as a training opportunity….!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy brake – piston not retracting – rotor drag’ is closed to new replies.