Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Avid Elixir – new pads, but no lever movement…
  • kaysee

Hi All,

I’ve just changed the rear pads on my elixirs for the first time, but now have only a tiny tiny amount of lever movement before they bite. What’s the best way of getting my lever movement back? The new pads seems slightly thicker then the old were, so there doesn’t seem a lot of room twixt pads now…

Any thoughts – these are ‘R’ not ‘CR’ versions, so no bite-point adjust, which is exactly what I need – do I need to crack the bleed screw open and let some juice out?

Ta.

glenp
    Free Member

You just need to push the pistons back in – use something smooth and flat; insert where the disk rotor should be and twist/lever. The pads will retreat and give you more clearance. You might find it easier with the pads out, but take care not to damage anything. Don’t let any fluid out.

sq225917
    Free Member

You know that little red block that you got with your bike/brakes, insert that to push the pistons apart then refit the pads.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You need to push the pistons back, but you might need to let some of the brake fluid out as Avid either overfill the resivour, or spec thinner pads than OEM.
    I have had to remove a bit of fluid when doing the first pad change in the past.

kaysee

Looks like it’s just a tiny bit too much fluid. They’re working ok now, so I’m not going to fiddle until I’m back home next week and have access to decent tools.

It looks like aftermarket pads are thicker – I’ll order up some original Avids first I think, and see if that sorts it out.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir – new pads, but no lever movement…’ is closed to new replies.