Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Avid Elixir brake pad question
  • exilegeordie
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking to replace the pads on my Elixir 4s (OEM on the 2010 Spesh Pitch Pro) and Elixir Rs on my Blue Pig. Am I right in thinking that the Superstar sintered Avid Elixir pads will fit both? I’m sure I remember someone on the forums mentioning that Elixir 4s took a Juicy 3 pad.
    Cheers,

Andy

coatesy
    Free Member

If they look the same, they will be. Juicy pads look nothing like Elixir pads,and clip into place instead of being held with a through-pin.

milky1980
    Free Member

Elixir 4’s are a Elixir lever with Juicy caliper. Use Juicy pads if it has a silver clip on the top.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks coatesy and milky1980 – does anyone else have any experience of these please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry slight hijack…

Which replacement pads are best for Elixir R’s?

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Outrageous hijack…fill yer boots!

exilegeordie
    Free Member

OK, back on track now. I know the Superstar Avid Elixir pads will fit my Elixir Rs, but I’m still struggling on finding the correct pads for my Avid Elixir 4s (which as milky says, may well be a hybrid Elixir/Juicy setup).

Can anyone confirm that the pads I need for my Elixir 4s are actually Juicy pads from these photos?

Front…

Rear…

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos (silly phone!) I did try to remove the pads so I could check on the Superstar site but I got a wee bit worried when trying to extricate them. I’m not sure how that rear clip gets removed (the fact that this clip is present seems to suggest these ARE Juicy pads).

Anyone confirm one way or the other please?
    Cheers,

Andy

simondbarnes

Those are juicy pads in your pictures. You don’t need to remove the rear clip, the pads come out the other side.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Fab – thank you. Been tearing (what little is left) of my hair out about this. Something so simple shouldn’t cause this much stress, but I am practically inept.

Seems to be backed up with what’s on the SRAM site.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I’m going to resurrect this thread as I have a related question.

It looks like changing the pads on my Elixir 4s (Elixir lever coupled with a Juicy pads) has made no difference (not a disaster in itself), so I’m guessing the whole system needs a bleed.

Can anyone recommend a kit please? I’ve seen this on eBay, but CRC seem to want a lot more. The kit advertised on CRC makes no mention of which models it’s compatible with, though one of the reviews mentions Juicy 3s.

I realise the eBay kit is unbranded, but can it really be THAT inferior?
    Cheers,

Andy

patriotpro
    Free Member

Def Juicy pads and a juicy caliper by the looks.

I had Juicy 3s in the past so can vouch first hand.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My advice would be (if funds allow of course) to ditch the Juicys Elixir 4s or whatever they are and buy new Elixirs or some of the new Shimano SLX/XT

The Juicy’s I had were great until it cam to changing the pads which was a complete ball-ache to do and other problems seem to stem from the pad change.

If you still want to keep/bleed the brakes give this website a try – http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks pp – I’d like to keep the brakes a wee bit longer as I’ve spent waaaaaaay too much on bike-related paraphernalia recently. I’ll check out that site – cheers!

Irish_AL
    Free Member

just a little side note, running elixir’s with avid pads in front and non avid pads in the rear…..the rear squeals like a pig….end of side note and retires back to the corner of the room

Scamper
    Free Member

Yep, those look like Juicy above. Agree, a pain to get the pads out, although I spent 2 years removing the clip first 😳

A quick highjack. I’ve also got Elixir R’s – where do they line up in the old Elixir line up? And what is so special about `r’s? I get the impression its a slightly lighter version

smiff
    Free Member

Elixir Rs are like the new 7 (reach adjust, no contact adjust).
    great brakes. (Retail are carbon lever, OE are alloy, usually)

never seen these 4s before.. weird!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Andy,

The ebay one’s syringes may not last as well as the avid ones which have a more substantial rubber bit on the plunger, an the avid fittings are ‘luer lock’ which hold up under pressure a bit better. But I would still get the ebay if its only a tenner: the only bits that are hard to source or replace very cheaply are the red clips and brass fittings that screw into the lever and caliper.

Are you sure your brakes need a bleed? If they are firm at the lever it is well worth ruling out contaminated rotors and pads first. Try cleaning the rotors with proper disc brake cleaner or Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and then fitting new pads, and then bedding them in with several hard stops on a steep hill to get them nice and hot. If it still doesn’t work, you still have some clean new brake pads for next time and something decent to clean your rotors with in case you ever contaminate/overspay the rotors with anything oily.

If they are spongy at the lever or getting hot and then binding under use then yes they do need bleeding. The youtube avid guide is pretty good.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips on what to look for julian – much appreciated!

Pieface

I bought the official one for £30 and its a rip-off IMO, the only thing you don’t appear to get in the ebay kit is a double ended torx bolt or the different bkeed blocks. The official kit comes with bleed blocks for all avid brakes therefore work with everything.

PS – I *THINK* the Avid kit also comes with spare barbs and olives but these are only needed if you want to shorten the hoses, and I reckon you’d be ok to re-use the ones already fitted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir brake pad question’ is closed to new replies.