Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Avid Elixir 5 Washer query
  • richtea44
    Free Member

Hi all

My rear brake is making a bit of a grinding noise.
    I tried centering the caliper (loosening bolts – applying brake – tightening again)and have also tried using a tyre level to push the pads back in.
    I still get a bit of grinding.
    I think my rotor may be a tiny bit squiffy and have tried straightening.
    There seems very little clearance though between the pads and the rotor.
    Help on this is appreciated.

But also I have split one of the washers (as in the picture I got off the net – the red one ringed is the one that has split).
    I have reassembled it all minus the washer that broke.

My query is do I need to replace this washer? it doesnt seem to make any difference or serve any real purpose.
    If i do need one – do i need to order online or will a LBS stock one typically?

Thanks a mil 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwat58o3bhizpds/avid_elixir_5_2011_4.gif

nuke

Ask at your lbs…the concave/convex washers are nothing more than the ones you get on v-brake pads and I’m sure your lbs should have some lying around

seavers
    Free Member

If you don’t have any luck I have 2 Genuine Avid Caliper Hardware Kits. BNIB. The kits contain all the washers and bolts to attach a caliper.

I now have formula brakes so don’t need em. £3 each both for £5 posted

Email in profile.

jonba
    Free Member

Grinding might be a feature if you rotor is warped.

There is never much clearance so any minor issue causes a bit of rubbing. If it is not stopping the wheel from spinning then keep going.

If you have just replaces the pads, particularly with cheap ones, then you may need to sand the paint off the backs.

Finally, the washers are vee brake ones. I don’t think they are essential. On my inbred I don’t have any as it gave me better options. Mightneed a spaces to get the caliper set up properly with the disk but doesn’t need to be conical, a washer would do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir 5 Washer query’ is closed to new replies.