Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Avid Elixir 3 problem
  • chomp
    Free Member

Woke up this morning to find my rear brake not functioning as it was last week.

This morning when I left for a quick spin I found that when I pulled the rear brake it was very ‘light’ and had to be pulled all the way back to the grip (does this make sense) for the brakes to bite.

They still worked with no problems, I just nearly crushed the fingers that weren’t on the level when I had to apply them to stop after a gentle downhill bit on the way to my local trail.

Any idea’s on how to fix this quickly, with a set of allen keys? I’m sat at a cafe at the moment and don’t want to start fettling and make things worse before the ride home

euain

Sounds like it needs a bleed to fix properly.

If you’ve reach adjusters on your levers, you might be able to adjust the lever so it doesn’t pull all the way to the grip so easily – but that’s not really addressing the underlying issue.

Edit – it might sort itself if it’s just a bubble in the master cylinder from the bike being inverted etc – but if you’ve already ridden and that’s not happened, I wouldn’t bet on it.

jkomo

This is a common problem with elixir.
    Something to do with piston not returning.
    It may come back on its own, but the fix I think is a strip down and reseal kit.
    I would just ride on but take it easy.
    Used to happen on my mates, but would come back, then go again a couple of times a ride.
    Have a good one.

chomp
    Free Member

bugger – had the **** serviced a month ago as the piston had siezed over winter from being stored.

might be time to buy a kit and learn to bleed\service myself I reckon.

I’ll get home ok, just need to remember to brake with all my fingers !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir 3 problem’ is closed to new replies.