Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Avid bleed kit £33,99! … any other options out there??
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

think the front brake on my avid elixir r's needs bleeding.are there any heath robinson ways of doing this rather than the offical kit? i quite good at "alternative" repairs.it just looks like maily two syringes, torx key and some dot 5.1 are the little valve thingys on the syringes needed/essencial?

singletracksurfer

Hayes one works as I recall (and is cheaper).

Find (free) syringes down at your local park!!!

Drac

Someone on here made their own may show up with a cunning search.

brakes
    Free Member

I bought an Avid bleed kit, it's not worth the money at all, just a pretty box with some bits in
    if you can work out and source the fittings you need, all the other bits are available elsewhere

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I got a "Quad Technology 2 Syringe Bleed Kit with Adaptors" for £13 from :
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com
    (for some reason I cant post the full link to the product?).

and it works just fine on juicy 7's. It includes the clips to squeeze the tubes and 2 bigish syringes. It also fits Formula Oro's and possibly others too. Doesnt include fluid.

jimster
    Free Member

DIY kit complete with instructions.

grumm
    Free Member
    Drac

Well found Jimster.

andywarner
    Free Member

i bought what grum mentions. works fine.

odannyboy
    Free Member

how do you actually bleed them? ive bled the brakes on cars before.is it the same way? ie fluid goes in at the handle bar end and air and fluid comes out the wheel end?
    do you pressurise it at the top and vacaum it out the bottom?

jimster
    Free Member

All shown on either the SRAM or Park Tool website.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Exacrtly danny boy. I find flushing one way & the other & giving it all a good tap dislodges the teeny tiny bubbles you get on minaturised systems like these well.

keegs27
    Free Member

Have a look on ebay for Avid bleeds kits. You will see quite a few at a cost between £25 and £35. If you look at the bottom of the screen you should see kits available from Hong Kong. These kits include all the bits you need apart from the Dot5.1 fluid. You can buy the fluid from Halfords – don't buy the BikeHut stuff though (125ml bottle. The regular Halfords Dot5.1 is the same price for 250ml!

For instructions on how to bleed the brakes just search on YouTube for Avid Brake Bleed Process – there is an instructional video. The process is very easy and makes a huge difference to the brakes. I did my Elixir R's a few weeks ago (they had been spongey since I bought them and although good I had been a little disappointed) and they are now vastly improved.

andywarner
    Free Member

the guy has a very irritating voice but it tells you what you need to know. i always put the new fluid in at the caliper, as per the video, but i have no idea at all why i do this. presumably it shouldn't matter, or should it?

bri-72

I bought the formula bleed kit for £13 and halfords for oil. Works just fine on juicys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Avid bleed kit £33,99! … any other options out there??’ is closed to new replies.