Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Average speed cameras on the M4-5
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Do they work or are they switched off ? as I regularly drive through at 50mph (speedo cruise control so maybe 4-5 mph out) and a whole host of driver stream past at a good 10mph+ and have done for quite a while.

eskay

Would you take anyone’s word on here if they told you they were switched off? play it safe!

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Well those people are selfish idiots.

They are not put there to annoy people but to protect the workers.

Don’t worry about them, you won’t be the one with a fine and points and even worse a death on your hands.

I know what you mean though, I just think some people don’t realise those cameras are the speed cameras or understand the concept of average.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’re probably set for 56-57 mph. Add in a bit of speedo error and 60mph on the clock isn’t too far fetched.

MartynS

My understanding is all average cameras through roadworks are on. It’s for the safety of the workers. If they’re not on there are big signs that say “not in use”

FuzzyWuzzy

I expect they’re on however as has been said above they likely only trigger at 10% + 2mph over and then your car speedo could be over-reading (mine does by a few mph). I happily go through them regularly with my speedo reading 58mph and haven’t had anything come through the post. If there are workers about (around 0.1% of the time I’ve been through them) then I’ll slow down to 50 indicated anyway, although I doubt it makes much of a difference to the outcome if you hit someone at 50 vs 55mph, some people just like to be all self-righteous about it…

Flaperon

I have to be honest I find it quite amusing when people blast through the roadworks at 80, but stamp on the brakes to go slowly past the cameras. Do we really have this many morons in the country?

I find whatever speed the HGVs are doing suits me fine – usually a bit about 50 but clearly not going to set off the cameras. Slower gives you the moral high ground but results in HGVs tailgating or swerving round you.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve gone through at 55mph (on cruise) ever since they went up.
    I wouldn’t go any faster purely because of how narrow the lanes are.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Here go from a FOI request from Avon & Somerset Police – they are on and do work. 10%+2 rule generally applies to most police forces. Look at the top speeds!!!!!!

1. How many speeding fines have been issued through the average speed check cameras on both motorways – please break this down per motorway.
    M4= 9032
    M5= 4945

2.Please break down the figures by month from the outset of the operation of the cameras.
    M4:
    April – 1160
    May – 2418
    June – 1131
    July – 2001
    August – 1442
    September – 880

M5:
    April – 541
    May – 1206
    June – 783
    July – 1079
    August – 866
    September – 470

3. What were the top five fastest times recorded through the cameras – please also state which days these happened.
    137 mph – 11/08/2012
    135 mph – 11/08/2012
    131 mph – 18/06/2012
    126 mph – 16/09/2012
    125 mph – 08/07/2012

4. How much has been paid in speeding fines due to these cameras.
    £168,780, This equates to 2813 payments of £60. More fine payments are likely to be received as the timescales involved in the process mean that not all drivers may have been identified or that court processes are still in progress if drivers have elected a court hearing rather than accept a fixed penalty notice or attend a speed education course.

5. How many people have attended speed awareness courses due to being caught by these cameras?

wrecker
    Free Member

137 mph – 11/08/2012
    135 mph – 11/08/2012

That’s got to be the same person 😯
    Bye bye license.

sbob
    Free Member

The maximum permissable error for speedometers is + 10% + 6.25mph, so quite a bit although I’ve never driven a car that was that far out.

sbob
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

137 mph – 11/08/2012
    135 mph – 11/08/2012

That’s got to be the same person
    Bye bye license.

Not necessarily, I know of a couple of cases involving similar speeds where a ban was not given.
    If those two were the same person on the same stretch of road (getting caught by successive pairs of cameras) then they could ask for them to be tried as one offence.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s got to be the same person

Or maybe a couple of cars in convoy. I think just one of those is bye bye licence.

I’m working on that site and yes they are on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do we really have this many morons in the country?

Yes.

There are plenty of HGVs who force their way into the middle lane to overtake me doing 56 in the 50mph, yards before the end of the limit. Really – why do they do stuff like this?

portlyone

Stops them shifting down 23 gears to do 50?

aracer
    Free Member

There are plenty of HGVs who force their way into the middle lane to overtake me doing 56 in the 50mph, yards before the end of the limit

It’s not really fair is it?

scaredypants

molgrips – Member
    There are plenty of HGVs who force their way into the middle lane to overtake me doing 56 in the 50mph, yards before the end of the limit. Really – why do they do stuff like this?

They were 1st in the queue and they have no idea when their next opportunity will come along ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras on the M4-5’ is closed to new replies.