• This topic has 56 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Average speed cameras on motorways – anyone been caught?
  • wiilt
    Free Member

Has anyone ever been caught by these, or know of any body that has been caught by these.

When taking into consideration the number of people that come speeding past me (over the 50 mph limit) there must be someone who has been caught or they don’t work.

steveh

Are you doing actual 50 or indicated? The speedo in my last car was calibrated (ex police car) and I was comfortably overtaking most people by doing an actual 50.

I used to work for a company that installs them – they do work FACT.

You can lose your licence in a single stretch of roadworks – FACT.

Some are dummies – FACT.

You can sometimes evade them by switching lanes – FACT.

Some stretches of roadworks have caught tens of thousands – FACT.

sniff
    Free Member

I just assumed that those doing well over the limit know that there isn’t another camera before they turn off?

GrahamS

There was a thread on this a while ago. The conclusion was that yes, people do get busted fairly regularly.

The limit won’t be set at 50-dead though, it’ll be more like 60 at least.
    And your car speedo may overestimate your speed by quite a bit too (check against sat nav or a known distance).

white101

There is a 15 mile (ish) stretch on A1 in North Yorks I go through 3 times a week sat on cruise control at 52mph, and still people pile past you at 60+

steveh

You can lose your licence in a single stretch of roadworks – FACT.

My mother’s a magistrate and in court you’ll only be done once in a single Journey so if 2 speed cameras get you in different places over 1 trip you should only get 1 penalty.

steveh – Member
    Are you doing actual 50 or indicated? The speedo in my last car was calibrated (ex police car) and I was comfortably overtaking most people by doing an actual 50.

How accurate my Sat Nav is, I don’t know, but considering it picks up around 8 or more satellites and always seems to know exactly where I am, it consistently has my speed at 10% less than what my car says I’m doing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Going eastbound on that long 50mph stretch through Wales today, a load of cars shot past at around 70. “Eejits” I was thinking. Sure enough there was a couple of mile stretch at the end with no camera before it changed back to 70mph.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Whenever i drive through 50mph limits there is always someone who whizzes past at 70+mph. whys that then? do they know something i don’t?

GrahamS

I think they fixed that flaw. They only used to be approved (by the Home Office) to monitor a single lane:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-drivers-can-avoid-speeding-ticketsby-changing-lanes.do (2006)

But by 2008:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/21/speed_camera_myth/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

SatNav in the van always has me at just under 10% less than indicated too.

steveh

it consistently has my speed at 10% less than what my car says I’m doing.

So your car says 50mph and the satnav 45mph? If so that’s illegal, there’s a 10% tolerance on speedos in cars but it’s only -10%. They can under read by up to 10% but never read over the true figure. The only exception to this might be if you’ve got non standard wheels on with a different diameter to the original ones which would mess the speedo up.

Tip:

Smaller camera = black & white ANPR camera recording number plate only (entry camera)

Larger camera = colour camera recording no plate and taking digital colour image for conviction purposes (exit camera)

BoardinBob

it consistently has my speed at 10% less than what my car says I’m doing.
    So your car says 50mph and the satnav 45mph? If so that’s illegal, there’s a 10% tolerance on speedos in cars but it’s only -10%. They can under read by up to 10% but never read over the true figure. The only exception to this might be if you’ve got non standard wheels on with a different diameter to the original ones which would mess the speedo up.

What law is this?

theotherjonv

use the markers on the motorway on a quiet day to calibrate your speedo at 60mph. Mine reads about 10% over, so I reckon I can do 55mph in a 50mph limit average camera section and be close enough to actual 50, even without the allowed margin that you’d get.

Can’t believe the number of people who don’t seem to understand what average means though.

GrahamS – Member

I think they fixed that flaw. They only used to be approved (by the Home Office) to monitor a single lane:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-drivers-can-avoid-speeding-ticketsby-changing-lanes.do (2006)

But by 2008:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/21/speed_camera_myth/

I know they were developing them to monitor multiple lanes, but I stopped working for the company and subsequently fell behind with technology. Some of the fixed ones may now do that, maybe some motorway ones do too – not sure, but I could find out.

GrahamS

How does that help TAFKAS? There may be mire than one pair of cameras on a stretch and they are not necessarily paired in sequence.

_tom_
    Free Member

Can’t believe the number of people who don’t seem to understand what average means though.

Yeah you see a lot of people who slow down for the cameras in average zones. Unless I’m wrong don’t they measure the time between cameras rather than the speed at each camera?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Tailgating a truck when approaching a camera will do the trick

HGV’s are limited to 56mph by law and give or take the odd 1mph (see the annoying 40ft artics overtaking on dual carriageways) I believe the limiters are quite accurate.

Sit next to one and i’ll bet you a pound to a penny your speedo will read 60mph+.

GrahamS

I know they were developing them to monitor multiple lanes, but I stopped working for the company and subsequently fell behind with technology.

That article quote the guy from Speedcheck Services Ltd. There was never any technical limitation on monitoring multiple lanes, why would there be it’s easy. The problem was just a matter of Home Office approval. According to him.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I see plenty of big trucks doing 70 on the motorway, sometimes more

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whatever you say about the cameras, they do keep traffic flowing through roadworks better than the fixed ones.

steveh

Without doubt my speedo reads to high as do they all which was the point of my post. I misunderstood your post when i first read it. Well it does on my current car, my last ex police calibrated one was bang on and rather useful.

How big funky monkey? Anything over 7.5 ton is speed limited.

GrahamS – Member
    How does that help TAFKAS? There may be mire than one pair of cameras on a stretch and they are not necessarily paired in sequence.

Erm, yes they are, or at least to my knowledge they always used to be.

You don’t have to listen to me if you don’t want to. As I’ve said, I no longer have any involvement with said company, so some of my knowledge may be slightly outdated. I wouldn’t want anyone to take my word as gospel, but do you seem to think you know more about them than me?

If so, pray tell – I’m all ears, as I’d like some tips to help getting caught out too (obeying the speed limit being the obvious answer).

igm

Whether it’s illegal or not I don’t know but I think he has it the wrong way round, as by this reckoning a reading of 50 mph might actually be 55 mph – that ain’t going to be the way round it’s set up now is it?

I think he may actually be correct (no of course I don’t know – this is baseless supposition) but the -10% refers to the speed not the reading. A certain car mag used to give speedo reading at 70 mph in all it’s test and it was normally in the 75-77 mph range.

That article quote the guy from Speedcheck Services Ltd. There was never any technical limitation on monitoring multiple lanes, why would there be it’s easy. The problem was just a matter of Home Office approval. According to him.

The technical limitations would be

a) a fixed point camera looking at a single lane

b) specific calibration and point to point distance measurement.

That said, yes the technology is quite obviously there and it may well have been HO restrictions – the legalities of which I’m not sure and have no reason to doubt your quote.

The M42 active traffic management was initially designed to have average speed camera’s, but this was foiled by government red tape, hence the fixed Gatsos that currently adorn the gantry’s.

GrahamS

Erm, yes they are, or at least to my knowledge they always used to be.
    You don’t have to listen to me if you don’t want to. As I’ve said, I no longer have any involvement with said company, so some of my knowledge may be slightly outdated. I wouldn’t want anyone to take my word as gospel, but do you seem to think you know more about them than me?

Just going on what I’ve read is all. No insider knowledge.

“each section covered has a number of cameras and drivers would not be able to see which one was paired with which.
    You might be picked up by entry camera A, speed down to camera B and change lane only to find that that was also an entry camera and that either exit cameras C or D would get you further down the road.”
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7048645.stm

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tailgating a truck when approaching a camera will do the trick

I assume you mean hiding your front number plate by lurking behind the truck? Once you have bypassed the entry camera you can nail it through the section and past the exit camera. The theory seems sound, fancy trying it?

I have also wondered about motor bikes, as they don’t have front plates they can’t be recorded. No?

GrahamS

Also:

Linked cameras do not have to be adjacent; they may bracket other cameras within the speed control zone. Despite what you may read in the press, SPECS is not lane specific, or limited to vehicles that enter and exit the zone in the same lane.”
    http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs.htm#how_does_it_work

GrahamS

And to round off my Googling:

BoardinBob: What law is this?

This one?

2.  For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.

3.  For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed—

V/10 + 6.25 mph

where V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/schedule/3/made

samuri
    Free Member

Also, your car speedo accuracy depends on the car massively. Compared to our sat nav (which agrees with my phone sat nav), our Audi speedo is absolutely spot on. Our Honda speedo is hugely out, it can read 78mph when the sat nav is reading 70.

Like I said Graham – just basing my comments on what I actually know to be true when I actually used to install the actual cameras in question.

Not really bothered enough to research where the current technology may, or may not be up to.

I could certainly ask the question and be given a definitive answer (direct from SPECS) within 24hrs if you are really that bothered. Personally I’m not that bothered, so I’m willing to leave it there and accept that I may, or may not be right.

WTF
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    I see plenty of big trucks doing 70 on the motorway, sometimes more

I am lead to believe that the limit is 56mph ?

GrahamS

Well that was the quote direct from the SPECS website so I expect they’d give you the same line (whether or not it is actually true). 😀

I’ll be sticking with setting the cruise control at limit + 5% and not getting stressed about it if other people fly past. 🙂

Well that was the quote direct from the SPECS website so I expect they’d give you the same line (whether or not it is actually true).

I’ll be sticking with setting the cruise control at limit + 5% and not getting stressed about it if other people fly past.

Company blurb = truth, yeah whatever 😉

I meant from someone actually in the know, not a company PR rep 😉

As for setting you CC at limit +5%, i’d say that’s a sensible option and one that you wouldn’t go far wrong by.

juiced
    Free Member

my citroen read 80 when it’s doing 73 according to my sat nav. Can never understand how in the average zone odd cars are blasting past at 80.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There is a 15 mile (ish) stretch on A1 in North Yorks

Feels like it goes all the way from Scotch corner to Leeds…

ivantate
    Free Member

most the trucks seem to keep on at 56mph through 50 limits so i guess the know what the actual limit is. most are foreign though and i know the kind of respect i have for cameras abroad!

I dont risk it as i am aware they can do you for 2mph over and the fact satnavs arent always accurate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras on motorways – anyone been caught?’ is closed to new replies.