Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Average speed cameras – am i missing something.
  • LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

just stay in the middle lane and drive at 60mph, no more, no less.

Most people (read wan*ers) already do that…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I ride a road bike – don't really have a problem with cars passing me at 60 provided they give me enough room (and I'm not significantly happier with somebody passing too close at 40 than 60). In any case, where has anybody suggested speeding past people working? 90%+ of the time when I drive through 50 restrictions on the motorway there is nobody working, and if there are people working I'll slow down even if there isn't a restriction. The big problem IMHO is that there are large amounts of time when 50 restrictions are just protecting the cones, which tends to devalue the importance of such restrictions in motorists minds and make them more likely to speed when people are working.

I know that on ones with contra flows its more to do with the road no longer being a dual carrigeway and if you hit some one doing 70 the other way its a bit like hitting a wall at 140 and after seeing the after marth of a head on between a car doing 60 (police estimate)and a lorry doing 56 i would much rather slow down to the posted speed limit.
    To the OP wasn't the newbury bypass by any chance?

Olly
    Free Member

All police forces got together through ACPO and agreed these guidlines:

Limit Fixed Penalty Summons
    20 mph 25 mph 35 mph
    30 mph 35 mph 50 mph
    40 mph 46 mph 66 mph
    50 mph 57 mph 76 mph
    60 mph 68 mph 86 mph
    70 mph 79 mph 96 mph

the key there being guidelines

if they clock you at 71 on a motorway, they can still do you if theyre feeling stingey.

could it be they are not turned on, because the road works are there in the first place to install them as a permenant feature?
    so turning them on will be the last thing they do

uplink
    Free Member

could it be they are not turned on, because the road works are there in the first place to install them as a permenant feature?
    so turning them on will be th

No – they are put up to cover roadworks & removed when done

AndyRT
    Free Member

Not on Junction 2 of the M3, where they seem to have decided to make them a permanent feature, as a 50 limit to control merging traffic coming off the M25.

I have been wondering if they have been using fixed distance, or is each camera recording a speed? Their description of Average speed would still be true, but would mean all those numpties racing through the road works and then suddenly braking for the cameras might be having the last laugh.

I'm just happy to pootle along in cruise…my licenses is not worth risking!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Does anyone know anyone who's ever got a ticket from an average speed camera? I travel through various sets a lot but have never heard/met anyone who's been done?

Heard of a few mates being got by them because they thought they were able to brake for the camera itself. There was one on the M6 near my old house for a while, it claimed ~250 fines per month on a big sign just near the camera.

aracer
    Free Member

I know that on ones with contra flows its more to do with the road no longer being a dual carrigeway and if you hit some one doing 70 the other way its a bit like hitting a wall at 140 and after seeing the after marth of a head on between a car doing 60 (police estimate)and a lorry doing 56 i would much rather slow down to the posted speed limit.

Whatever happened to contraflows? Not been through one of those for ages – the 50 limits I've seen have still had a nice solid barrier between me and traffic going the other way (in some cases where they've been renewing the central barrier, this has been a very solid lump of concrete between the traffic and where the workers would be if there were any). In any case, I've always wondered why not 60 if that's the justification, given we're trusted to do that speed on normal SCs.

uplink
    Free Member

Whatever happened to contraflows? Not been through one of those for ages

There's plenty still around – they often still use them when they split one lane off & direct it to the other carriageway
    I tend to avoid that lane if poss

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras – am i missing something.’ is closed to new replies.