Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Avast – grief
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

So Avast wants me to install itself after an upgrade to Win 10. I keep getting pop-ups. Clicking the ‘never’ option has no obvious effect. (Does it perhaps work after the 100th click?).

I searched for ‘remove avast installer’, clicked on the download. First thing, it wanted to restart in safe mode. Like they’re really confident of their stuff. Then it wanted me to remove Mr K’s paid-for stuff.

On this experience they’ve joined NAV in the not in a million years box.

Can anyone offer advice to this numpty whose skills peaked about DOS 5.2, Win 3.11, please please pretty please?

canopy
    Free Member

there’s no normal uninstall in programs & features?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Nope, nothing that looks like avast. Maybe the PC is possessed?

TPTcruiser

Right click on Avast in your program/apps list should get the Uninstall?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s the problem, there’s nothing with the name ‘avast’ that I can see, and a search of CP doesn’t find it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I had no problems on the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10; Avast Pro on one machine and the free version on the other.

On mine, the files are in C:\Program Files\AVAST Software

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yes, but I’m getting a freebie offer that I don’t need, which won’t go away and which keeps popping up. And it’s presumably bundled with Win 10, somewhere.

I’m hoping that the google power of STW will cause this to show on Avast’s radar. I hope it will take the form of an annoying pop-up that won’t go away.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I doubt Avast is buried in Win10 as they have their own AV products – try using something like PC Decrapifer, it’ll let you remove most things, just be sure of what you remove before you delete the driver for something serious and brick the dam thing (yeah I’ve done that).

slowoldman

So Avast was on the PC before the W10 upgrade?

martinhutch

Install Revo Uninstaller. Should turn up and you can do a deep uninstall that gets rid of all the leftovers.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

No, Avast arrived with the Win 10 upgrade.

I have Kasperkey, paid for, because Which mag put it top of their list.

(edit) The Avast offer turned up with Win 10. I’ve never wanted or used their stuff.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Which edition of Win 7 did you have?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

8.1, and an Avast – free zone.

martinhutch

Strictly speaking, that’s more a version of Windows 8 than Windows 7.

Revo is pretty good for sorting out this kind of malware (most virus protection software pretty much fits the description).

leffeboy

Does this popup only appear in a browser? If so then it may be you just have to reset the browser home page

Greybeard
    Free Member

Avast arrived with the Win 10 upgrade

I think that must be co-incidence. Avast does have pop-ups but only if you’ve installed it. First thing I’d be worried about is whether it really is Avast or some malware pretending to be.

Try looking at what is running in Task Manager when the pop-up occurs, and when it doesn’t, to see if you can see what the program name is.

And download and run Malwarebytes (it’s free) to see if you’ve picked up an infection.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Avast – grief’ is closed to new replies.