• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SamB.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AV receiver on the cheap – recommendations?
  • SamB
    Free Member

I’ve got a home cinema setup that I’d like to update a little bit. Current setup is a Sony amp (STR-KSL5) hooked up to a 5.1 setup. It sounds great, but the connectivity is lacking and that’s starting to be a bit painful.

The main problem is no HDMI input and only one optical input, which is tied to a single specific source (TV/Sat). I can switch out the optical source between DVD/PC/PS4 by changing cables, but it’s a bit of a pain. Same thing with an optical switch, it’d be a pain to get up and fiddle with.

I’d like to upgrade to something that fits the following criteria at a minimum:
    [list]
    [*] HDMI output to TV[/*]
    [*] At least 3 HDMI inputs (PS4, DVD player, TV)[/*]
    [*] PC input support (either another HDMI (which would require a PC upgrade to a newer video card), or an optical connection tied to a specific separate “PC” source – not overriding the other sources!)[/*]
    [*] Remote control support – just source selection and volume would be sufficient[/*]
    [/list]

In an ideal world it’d also be:
    [list]
    [*] Cheap – happy with a second-hand model / ebay special[/*]
    [*] Silver (to match the other kit)[/*]
    [*] Sony (to match the other kit)[/*]
    [/list]

Note that I don’t need speakers bundled in, the ones I’ve got at the moment are fine so could do with not spending any more than needed!

Any recommendations from the audiophiles out there?

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

DA 1200ES if it must be a silver Sony, reasonable and second hand?

Do you know what codecs you need on the sound, or if you need 3D processing etc?

Do you need ARC for the TV? or will you be running sound optical or using a STB?

SamB
    Free Member

DA 1200 ES looks almost ideal – I’d have to route the PS4 via optical to the front but otherwise perfect. And cheap on ebay too 😀

Sound codecs – I don’t need 3D processing, only codecs that I definitely need support for are DTS and Dolby Digital (from the PS4). The PC can be configured with the right bit of software so no worries there.

Don’t need ARC support for the TV. I was planning to run sound from the TV using regular RCA audio – that’s the only output it has (Sony KDL 32L4000)

EDIT: Thinking about it, it’s a pretty big box. Part of the reason for going silver was to match the DVD player, but that’ll need to move to make room. So I’ve had a change of heart, BLACK it is!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘AV receiver on the cheap – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.