• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AV receiver and speaker recommendations please.
  • renton
    Free Member

I moved away from an AV receiver set up a while ago and switched to a sonos setup but now am thinking of switching back.

I have a budget of £600 for an amp and speakers.

Do any of you have recommendations on what to look at please.

Thanks.

renton
    Free Member

Anyone ??

angeldust
    Free Member

Hi Renton. I couldn’t recommend anything (good, and not second hand)with a budget as low as £600. Perhaps that explains the lack of replies? Are you after a 5.1 set up? Need a sub?

renton
    Free Member

Yes and yes mate.

Don’t mind buying second hand.

angeldust
    Free Member

I don’t do second hand so can’t help. A decent quality, budget entry level separates system (amp + speakers) will cost WAAYYYY over £600 new. Sure someone will be along who knows what you can get for that budget.

sparkerfix

Can I ask why? Thinking of going the opposite way.

angeldust
    Free Member

Can I ask why? Thinking of going the opposite way.

Obviously, I can’t speak for Renton, but if you want the best audio performance for movies, you need a true surround speaker system (5.1 or 7.2 etc) comprising quality separate components. Not cheap, but worth it if you want the best.

Cougar

Pick the cheapest Yamaha with the features you want.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers.html?brand=93

Can’t help with speakers I’m afraid, but https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/yamaha-rxv381.html leaves you with £400 to spend on them.

renton
    Free Member

Sparkerfix……. Been doing a lot of listening to music lately and the playbar .. whilst it sounds ok it’s not really setting my music on fire.

I get a better sound stereo wise from a set of sennheiser earphones.

sparkerfix

Fair enough. I’m currently using a nice Onkyo amp and DM 601 / Audica 5.1 speakers. Thinking along the lines that Sonos will be a little more compact and tend to use Spotify and internet radio a lot more nowadays.

renton
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong it works very well but for true music listening it’s not the greatest.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I was in the same boat with similar budget a few years ago and while my receiver is now obsolete, my speakers might not be, I don’t know :

Sony 820 AVR
    Boston Accoustics CS26 + S225C speakers
    x2 Monitor Audio VW8 subs
    Cheapo Wharfedale rears

The lot cost me £500 over a few weeks, I mainly bought from fellow AVForum members.

The AVR was new but the rest was practically unused second hand stuff.

I am really happy with it overall but I am well aware that it’s not a music set up, it’s primarily for films although I do listen to music with low expectations and it’s OK for that.

CHB

I like Yamaha, but in reality any Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo amp from 2-5 years ago will be a brilliant second hand deal. Speakers, again I would buy on Ebay. Mid size bookshelf speakers for the 4 surrounds, a separate mid and whatever you can afford for a sub (I think you might need to buy this later given the budget!).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘AV receiver and speaker recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.