Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Autotrader scam?
  • fionap

Looking for advice on a possible scam.
    Our Jazz is up for sale on Autotrader. I got a text this morning but can’t see what number it is from – it says “I just checked your list on gumtree why are you selling and what is your lowest asking price of your Vehicle? reply to my email …@hotmail.com” The email address and the ‘username’ of the text don’t come up on google as being linked to anything dodgy but it seems a bit odd.

redstripe
    Free Member

Scam, ignore/delete it

skids
    Free Member

don’t the numbers get obscured by autotrader. Anyway seems like a legitimate question about the car, what makes you thing it is a scam and how are they in a position to scam you?

jon1973
    Free Member

If it’s advertised on Autotrader why is it talking about Gumtree?

fionap

Well spotted Jon…can’t believe I missed that. I guess it’s come through Gumtree’s automated obscuring thing. Still sounds a bit dodgy but maybe I’m being too judgmental.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Do they mention the make/model? Maybe not so much as a scam, more likely ‘phishing’

matt_outandabout

Scam.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Scam – the poor English if nothing else gives it away.

fionap

I gave in and emailed them back (I hadn’t chosen the email option on gumtree so they had to send a text) but it’s now become clear it’s a scam! Wish I hadn’t given my email address away. I had addressed the sender as ‘Lauren’ – just got this reply:

watt lauren
    13:46 (0 minutes ago)

to me
    Ok, i’m okay with the price However,does it have any history I should be aware of? and I will really appreciate if you can email more info and if possible more photos,i’m very kinda busy with my profession,so im sorry i will not be able to come look at it in person so will i not be disappointed in buying this ?

Thanks
    watt.

Suggestions for how/if I should keep stringing them along?

dmorts

Ask them to call you at home on the following number XXXXX XXXXXX and ask for your husband Bobby who will give further details on the car. The number you provide is actually the local number of a police station.

konabunny
    Free Member

people whose first question is “whats ur lowest price m8” are invariably scammers or dickheads. either way they’re not buying the car!

I think you should ask him how he’s going to collect it from Benbecula…

rickmeister

“Hi Watt,

Guess your working offshore right now but thats Ok. Just ask your mate to come round after you paypal me the full amount for the car. Send me your details so I can fill in the transfer documents with your name, so its all legal and your mate can collect these at the same time as he picks the car up. Like I said, I can accept paypal for the full amount before you mate comes around so everything should be secure

Is that OK ? “

Then be amazed when Watt (as thats what you will be saying), files a complaint as no car arrived and claims his money back….

Scam – tastic

fionap

Have emailed ‘Watt’ asking for a ‘holding deposit’ of £1000 to be paid by Western Union transfer. Tempted to give him the local police phone number as suggested above but I think that’d be a waste of their time – can’t imagine they would get involved.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Autotrader scam?’ is closed to new replies.