Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Automatic watch help. Its a nightmare!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Got out the shower this morning and noticed my watch was steamed up on the face, wiped it to see the time and nooooooo! Its steamed up on the **** inside. Somehow and it really is a big somehow the he crown had come undone. It’s currently in a bowl of rice sat on a warm radiator. Is this just putting off the inevitable?

stuey
    Free Member

This has happened to me twice with different watches – first rice /airing cupboard worked – took a week. The second had to go off to Omega service – costly – I know longer wear posh watches around water and small children who like to push and twiddle buttons on said watches 🙁

stuey
    Free Member

d.p.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I did the same with my Citizen auto. It dried out BUT left watermarks inside the face which is barely noticeable, but noticeable all the same. Need to go to a watchmakers so they can sort it but just wearing other watches for now.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

What depth rating is it? I’ve never had any of my divers crowns come undone. I religiously check them though before swimming etc. Various makes too from cheap seiko work watches to my Panerai divorce present

wrightyson
    Free Member

Its a 600m planet ocean, well, was. The he crown has never been touched other than to check before going in the sea or pool but I don’t think I’ve managed to go beyond 2m in it. I’m at a loss as to how it has happened to be fair.

CountZero

Funnily enough reading this made me check the crown on my Seiko SPORK, which only gets used when the clocks change, and it was partially unwound! I guess over time (ha!) it’s gradually unwound itself by rubbing against clothing, etc, and I’ve not noticed.
    Glad I read this thread now. 😀

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Gutted for you mate! Its probably only my OCD that’s saved me. I do a little check maybe once a day. Lost a cheap timex as a kid in the same way as you and been paranoid ever since. Keep it in a really arid atmosphere for a week and I reckon it’ll be ok. Failing that it’s an expensive service but I doubt it’s fubar.

Solo
    Free Member

Somehow and it really is a big somehow the he crown had come undone.

Something tells me you’re not cut out for owning a nice watch…..
    Imo, you deserve an invoice from the OEM for a four figure sum. Perhaps then you’ll learn to appreciate the finer things in life, such as owning a nice watch.

THE RULES ON NICE WATCH OWNERSHIP!
    Nice watches do not go with you into the bed, bath or the shower.

However, the GF certainly should!

You silly boy !

br
    Free Member

Why would anyone wear a watch in the shower/bath? 🙄

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

If it doesn’t clear up properly, I know a guy, 2 actually. Nothing like omega prices and they service high end stuff daily

skiboy
    Free Member

In reference to owning a nice watch I must disagree with certain comments.

You should wear it always. I have worn mine everyday for 8 yrs, in the shower,in the sea, in the pool, at work at my desk downstairs in the factory, digging in the garden etc etc.

It will get knocked, it will get scratched, and eventually it will stop working and you will have to get it fixed.

Had mine serviced by Rolex this year. Best part of 500 notes. They did wreck the bracelet by hamfisted polishing and I complained bitterly so they replaced it and even replaced the crystal and had their head of refurb rework the case etc and sent me pictures of each stage for my approval before I agreed to have it back.

The thing to remember is it’s not the end of the world anything can be fixed.

I would say that getting that much water inside an automatic is not good, leave the crown pulled, don’t restart it, take it to a dealer tell them what you have done and let them send it for a service.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A 2000 + watch 600m waterproof let water in in the shower because you hadn’t tightened the crown? There should be rubber seals in there to stop that? The screw down shouldn’t be required for a bloody shower and I’d expect Omega to fix FOC.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Something tells me you’re not cut out for owning a nice watch…..
    Imo, you deserve an invoice from the OEM for a four figure sum. Perhaps then you’ll learn to appreciate the finer things in life, such as owning a nice watch.
    THE RULES ON NICE WATCH OWNERSHIP!
    However, the GF certainly should!
    You silly boy !

Utter utter bobbins!
    What is the point in having such a thing and not wearing it regularly? Do you have a watch winder for such things? I take off before work and put on when I get home. It never goes in the bath however as the temperature does them no favours.
    Its like buying a Ferrari California and only using it when the sun shines. Bollox to that!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cheers for that funky monkey I may well require those numbers. It is covered under insurance however.
    Jools burger that is an interesting theory but I can’t see it washing with omega as when it was under warranty previously they refused a free service as there was a tiny mark on the bezel which they considered as the reason for the movement failing….

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Wear your watches everywhere. What’s the point of having a watch good down to 200m and more and take it off for swimming? Not the end of the world if shit happens and life too short to be precious. IMHO of course.

CountZero

My Seiko doesn’t get worn to work, mainly because there’s a likelyhood of my having to operate machinery with lots of hard, sharp edges and corners, and I don’t want to risk gouging chunks out of a nice watch.
    I do, however, wear it in the shower, as it’s water resistant to 200m, the water pressure of a regular shower is highly unlikely to force water through the seals.
    Unless the crown has inadvertently come unscrewed, and the crown moved in such a way as to allow water past the seals.
    My work watch is a 40+ year-old Yema chrono, which says 100% Waterproof on the back. It’s recently been given a service, and repair, but would I wear it in the shower? Not bloody likely! It’s got a non-screwdown crown and two supplementary buttons, so plenty of opportunity for water to creep in, plus the crystal is a regular domed acrylic one that I wouldn’t trust an inch.

ourmaninthenorth

Why would anyone wear a watch in the shower/bath?

This.

It’s not that it’s an auto, or that it’s your pride and joy, but that I’d never wear any watch in the shower. That activity’s for cleaning me, not my jewellery (which is put on once I’m dry).

Nonetheless, a lesson to all auto owners: don’t get water in them, however it happens.

jota180
    Free Member

I tend to take everything off when I shower, can’t quite understand why you leave just a watch on.

Hope you get it sorted though

juanking

Ouch, one place I can heartily recommend is genesis watches, Duncan does an excellent job, keeps you up to date on progress and is substantially cheaper than the official stores. He’s done work for me on two pieces and was a pleasure to deal with however the lead time can be a month or so. BTW, if your on tzuk you can get a 15% discount on his work.
    http://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/index.html

rob2
    Free Member

I used to wear my rado all the time. Biking, shower, gardening. Then one day it got misty after the shower. Put it in the airing cupboard and fine ever since.

I’m now more careful though. It will break one day and now I don’t do certain activities but it could always be repaired. I’ve scratched the sapphire class somehow but it is what it is.

unovolo
    Free Member

Nonetheless, a lesson to all auto owners: don’t get water in them, however it happens.

Not restricted to Autos, water in any watch whether its quartz, handwound or other will tend to f00k it up.

On a sidenote I wear my watches in the shower all the time if the Water rating is up to it, used to have a Seiko 5 that was worn for virtually everything seemed to be virtually indestructible, only reason its not worn at the moment is because I’m modding it.

shifter
    Free Member

This bit isn’t bobbins.

AlasdairMc

I wear my Seamaster everywhere. It gets worn in the shower in the morning as I need to know the time in case I’m late for work. The only time l don’t wear it is biking, where I wear a Seiko Diver that refuses to die, and in bed.

CountZero

It’s not that it’s an auto, or that it’s your pride and joy, but that I’d never wear any watch in the shower. That activity’s for cleaning me, not my jewellery (which is put on once I’m dry).

It’s also good for keeping the stainless mesh bracelet clean and free from manky sweat build-up. How else do you keep it clean?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Automatic watch help. Its a nightmare!’ is closed to new replies.