• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Autocad, Autocad mechanical, Inventor or Solidworks
  • RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve drifted into project/engineering design/development with my employer from a technical hands on position.

The company is a little old school in its engineering approach to things (think back of fag packet drawings and rack o’th eye) and takes some persuading to buy items of no immediate tangible benefit – ie software packages.

For the first project I purchased AutoCAD LT (£1k ish), it was okay in producing files that were processed by a 3rd party laser cutting company.
    However I soon hit the wall with its capabilities in being able to the overall visualise the overall project or large sections. I started to use it in a basic 3d isometric format by manually ‘lengthening’ the Z axis which worked but was time consuming and occasionally then messed up the ‘flattened 2d image for the laser guy.

I have a ‘trial’copy of the full blown Autocad program at home which I’m getting to grips with but Im wondering if my needs would be possibly better met by Inventor or maybe Solidworks?

The designs to date have been laser cut sheet steel & aluminium, and general small machined aluminium or steel single components and the design has evolved as the project has progressed.

The next project is more demanding of a CAD package as the final ‘product’ has to be drawn first as a complete unit then broken down into the drawings to be sent for laser/machining.

Later projects will involve welded pipework assemblies.

I’m not wanting to produce output as good as a professional draftsman/engineer – I’m wanting to visually see that something will fit together/in the spaces available and to be able to present for approval.

Im self taught and have picked up LT & R14 that we have kicking around so would like to stick with Autocad but im wondering if my needs would be met better by full blown Autocad, Inventor or possibly venturing in Solidworks. Budget is probably going to be £5k max.

TIA

dti

Autocad is almost never the best CAD software , it has just become the industry standard for some reason,
    try sketchup

crankrider
    Free Member

Autodesk stuff is available on monthly subs now – solid works isn’t, guys at work use solid works and I did some at uni prefer it to inventor personally as I find it easier to use and autocad clunky in comparison.

There are many that would argue the merits of both, I would download some trial software.

dunsapie
    Free Member

Don’t even bother looking at Pro/E or Creo as it is now called, worst CAD package ever.

dwhcampbell
    Free Member

I would give solid works a go. It’s quite easy to pick up and there are loads of tutorials on line to help you. SW also has a sheet metal function which sounds like it could be useful for you.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Another vote for SolidWorks here 🙂

Kahurangi

I’ve used all three (AutoCAD/Inventor/Solidworks) and yet I can tell you almost nothing between them.

I like to do a lot of stuff in 2d for roughing out shapes, doing calculations and ensuring consistency and quality throughout a project. Need to make sure someone hasn’t moved your critical reference point? Take a measurement compared to your 2d outline GA.

I used Inventor for 4 years yet I was using SolidWorks more proficiently within 4 months at a new company. Why? Because they got me trained. I used SW at the sharp end of a project for a few weeks then had a training course and I’m using SW like a natural. It’s not that different to Inventor but I knew I was hardly touching the surface of what Inventor could do.

I’d imagine there are similar tools in Inventor as in SolidWorks – sheet metal tools, weldment tools (creating fabrications from sections/tubes with mitred corners, etc.) as well as frequent crashes 😉

The freeware AutoCAD tool ‘draftsight’ is okay. Not as good as ACAD but does most of what I’m after – and I work much more in 3D than I used to.

HTH

cp

Solidworks here. A freelance design mate once summed up the difference between inventor and Solidworks recently – everything you can do in one click in sw takes two or more in inventor.

Is inventor even available within your budget?

Get a few reps in and have demos. Back up and support is almost as important, so it’s worth trying for a 30day trial including tech support from the reseller.

Sw has (or did have) specific pipe work plug ins.

toys19
    Free Member

We have inventor and utterly despise it.

I personally despise Solidworks.
    Consider these from left field-all excellent at compatibility with other software.

1) Kubotek Keycreator-Talk to Francis Traylor at Radix Solutions http://www.radix-solutions.com/

2) Spaceclaim

3)Ironcad (my fave)

irelanst
    Free Member

I’ve used Inventor and Solidworks in the past and the best package was neither of them! I think it’s a very personal thing but I found Solid Edge the most intuitive package but it does seem resource hungry especially with large assemblies (I think that’s deliberate so Seimens can still justify NX). Solid Edge used to distribute the 2D package as a free download, maybe have a look on the web for a download.

richmars

Solidworks user here, but I’m sure any of the top 3/4 will do.
    I’m also sure going to 3D CAD will make things easier and improve what you’re doing, but don’t underestimate the time someone will need to spend to administer the system. Work out who needs access to the data, how that will work, how you control changes (are you ISO9001?). Over time, the CAD data will be a major asset of the company, so it needs looking after. It’s not just a few files on your hard-drive.

eskay

The last couple of companies I have worked for use Siemens’ Solid Edge. Quite easy to learn, powerful and handles all of the industry standard models, it also has a bigger high end brother NX (expensive!!)

nickjb
    Free Member

Autocad is very much a 2D package that has had 3D thrown at it. If you want to develop stuff in 3D then use a proper 3D modeller. All the main ones have strengths and weaknesses but solidworks is a good all rounder.

Haze

Delcam?

andybrad

what exactally are you making? this will determine the best thing for you.

Inventor is great and had the best drafting setup bar none.

Solid works has a massive user base and so help is easily found.

Solid edge is less so but is slightly better than works when it comes to sheet metal and complex sweeps etc.

Also think about expansion. Where do you see the software in 5 years time?

julioflo
    Free Member

Solidworks user here. Have used both inventor and Solidedge in the past. But have stuck with Solidworks for the past 10 years. I think you’ll get a seat for under £5k.

There probably isn’t that much between the Inventor, Solidworks and Solidedge, but Solidworks has the largest user base and you’ll find the most help on line. For instance I’ve had to model in a way I am not very proficient in over the past week and was getting quite stuck. Some quick on line research has found the answers to each problem I’ve encountered. Invaluable I think.

If you go with Solidworks, it would be good to know how much you pick up a seat for at the moment.

Also I second working in 3D, even for simple parts. Then creating 2D drawings from that.

cheers_drive

SW user here, used Inventor and Pro Engineer before.
    First of all forget ACAD it’s using ancient technology and only exists due to once (20 years ago) being the industry standard. Is it even parametric?
    Once you know the principles of solid modelling it’s pretty easy to switch between all of them, Inventor was a little light weight when I used it but it’s probably much better after 8 years later.
    SW is the standard in my industry and it’s very good but it is expensive, especially if you are not using most of it’s extensive capability – the things you list are pretty simple IMO.

scotia
    Free Member

used SW, SE, autocad, Unigraphics NX, Catia and now on Creo.

It all works but for quickness of use and easy learning, i have found SW to be the quickest.

Unigraphics NX the most powerful – any shape was possible it never fell over..

RustyNissanPrairie

Thanks for the replies/info – much appreciated. Looks like Solidworks is the way forward, although I’m a little disappointed as I was hoping for more Autocad fans as I’ve gotten quite used to LT!

How easy is Solidworks to ‘pick up’ from scratch? I’m self taught in pretty much everything and love the challenge of figuring most things myself – and I’m not going to have time to do a training program – I need to hit the ground running!

what exactally are you making? this will determine the best thing for you.

I work in quite a niche industry its essentially chemical processing/ metering of liquids and handling of the produced solid materials. There are 2 competitors in the UK although its a world wide industry. I’ve worked in the industry since leaving school 25 years ago so have no problems with the design side of things and have been hands on technical throughout. The equipment is supplied by 3 or 4 worldwide vendors. The equipment lead/delivery times are generally quite long and we have 50 years of in house development that we try to keep ‘under wraps’ and behind closed doors hence why we manufacture and develop our own smaller ancillary items albeit in a back of fag packet if it looks reet it’ll be reet kinda way.

Im just trying to improve the way we do things and be able to take on larger & more involved projects.

The first phase of the subject involved laser cut aluminium formworks that process the chemicals. This has gone well and has proved itself as the equipment was installed in our recent 2 week summer shutdown without needing any modifications or alterations.

The second phase involves smaller sub units of structural steelwork, a 60kw AC motor, drive shaft and mixer assembly, injector manifolds, local pipework, linear actuators and energy chain & flexible hose assemblies. Again outsourced laser cutting and general machining work along with off the shelf fasteners/bearings/supplier supplied cad info.
    The issue is the space constraints as it has to be shoe horned in around existing equipment.

eskay

I have done a very similar project (bio-digestion plant with mixers and vats, air injectors, control cabinets etc) using Solid Edge. I have never used Solid Works so cannot compare features but SE had some nice piping features that allowed me to model up the pipe runs easily.

The move to 3D modelling required a change in thought process. In SE you did a rough sketch and then trimmed dimensions instead of creating finite lines/structures (like Autocad). You then remove or add bits of material to get to what you want (in very simplistic terms). Once it clicks you will be off and running.

Edit: You probably already know this but the mixer and shaft design is critical to prevent the thing shaking itself to bits..!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Autocad, Autocad mechanical, Inventor or Solidworks’ is closed to new replies.