Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • AUTO_GLASS insurance windscreen repair
  • mountainman

Well am losing faith in them very rapidly and will not be a happy man if they fail to turn up again .
    Should have been out sat between 10 n 2 no show ,i’d stayed up from night shift so went to bed pssd off at 2. ready for wrk again at 9pm
    chased em up sun no replys
    chased em again mon when i got home from wrk at 11am they had returned call at 9 am .
    so today now they are booked for 12 till 4 pm .!!!

well they have a 2 hr window before the preverbial will hit the fan .

falkirk-mark

Give them your mobile number and tell them to phone you 30 mins before they are coming out.

MrNutt
    Free Member

They’ve p*ssed me off, I picked up a stone chip in the very top of the drivers side of my windscreen, its not in the swept area and you can’t even see it when the visor is down.

Apparently because its in the “drivers vision” I need a new windscreen. And whats more I drove to their workshop rather than have them come out to me.

not impressed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Mr Nutt, that sounds like it is too close to the edge of the screen for a repair, the auto glass website gives the criteria for repair Here

boblo
    Free Member

If you get a chip filled can you really not see it?

khani
    Free Member

You can still see it but it’s vastly reduced and the resin stuff they use stops it from spreading

sc-xc

well they have a 2 hr window

If that’s how long they last then I’m not surprised you’re angry.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

They are crap.

I got a really nasty spiral crack in my screen about two years ago – to the extent I didn’t think the car was safe to drive. It took them TWO weeks to sort out the repair.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Autoglass – wouldn’t touch them. When fitting a new windscreen (after a suspiciously half-a***d repair attempt with the resin) for me last year the chump broke all the clips when removing my scuttle panel then tried to glue it down with windscreen sealant as a bodge. He was arrogant too, and ‘scuttled’ off quick without saying he’d made a pig’s ear of it. They seem to think they have a captive market, bin them and use someone else if poss. Definitely watch them work if you can’t use anyone else.

carlosg
    Free Member

LOL at the OP , I’ve been here before.

Last winter I got in my cat to go to work one morning and noticed a 6″ crack running from the passenger side of the screen. The insurance co number went direct to Auto Glass , I arranged an appointment and ended up sat in all day!

When I phoned them the following day they said ‘Oh yeah we didn’t have one in stock for your car’ no apology nothing 🙄 . Arranged another appointment 2 weeks later , they didn’t turn up then either. Eventually got my windscreen replaced on the 3rd attempt by which time the 6″ crack was nearly 10″, the guy who fit it was late because he’d been for an interview with another windscreen co as in his words ‘this outfit is run by imbeciles’.

Good luck OP

bigyinn
    Free Member

Any car repairer who uses the word “imbeciles” is clearly overqualified for that job.

Anthony
    Free Member

It’s the cost that amazes me.

A few years ago I was ringing round to have mine changed, I forget now why but I was paying for it directly. Autoglass wanted £650ish, a local firm came within hours and charged £72, he even let slip the glass came from the same depot.

It’s no wonder insurance premiums are sky-high.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Apparently because its in the “drivers vision” I need a new windscreen. And whats more I drove to their workshop rather than have them come out to me.

If it’s not in the wiper swept area it’s not testable in the MOT.

If it is only just, and the price is nuts, fit shorter wipers.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive used them for a chip that meant a new screen on the T4. Chap came out within 24hrs, phoned ahead to confirm when he’d be there. So I set up a tarpaulin for him to work under as it was raining and I dont have a garage.

He did a pretty good job really. Quite quick, polite. Only minor thing is the glass has some very fine “polish” scratches in it that look like fine cobwebs in bright, low, sunlight. But it’s not a problem.

Since the insurer covered it, Id use them again.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

bunch of useless untrained monkeys who get paid by number of jobs done so the quicker they work etc etc, hence poor workmanship i could go on

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If it is within 6cm of the windscreen edge that is also classed as unrepairable apparently- see the link in my previous post.
    I had an old Nissan that quite clearly had a repaired chip central to the drivers vision. The Autoglass paperwork with the car also recorded this, never failed an MOT on anything, least of all the windscreen, always used to take the aoutoglass paperwork with me on MOT day and the examiner was happy.
    Wife had a stone chip on one of her more recent cars, swept area, drivers side, repaired by Autoglass, not invisible but looked like dirt had penetrated the chip. Again, passed MOT with the repair.
    All seems rather contradictory doesn’t it?
    Just found The glass doctor who only repair rather than offer a replacement service, might be worth contacting them for advice?

mountainman

Just to update ,they phoned at 11th hour to say sorry can’t fit you in today.
    Not happy !as 3rd failed attempt.
    Phoned H/O got manager,who got Swansea brach manager to call me direct ,who said ,miss understanding engineer on way .
    arrived half hr later,n starts off with !Oh yours is clear ,I ve got tinted on !
    My reply ,FIT IT
    so job done ,new mot now RELIEF>

maccruiskeen

Since the insurer covered it, Id use them again.

Fine if ‘Covering it’ means you don’t put your hand in your pocket at all. If you have an excess to pay then shopping around you might find you excess in more than the cost of the new screen. I had a new screen fitted to my Sprinter (so a big bit of glass). My excess for Autoglass to do the work was £150, but shopping around the job only cost £100.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘AUTO_GLASS insurance windscreen repair’ is closed to new replies.