• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Auto or manual – time for a new car?
  • ski
    Free Member

Well not a new car, but used

I have always drove/owned manual cars, but now my old golf estate (which has been brill) has sadly got to go, I have a hankering for a auto and I have been told they are much better now fuel wise than they used to be.

Quick question, I always thought when the conditions of the roads suffered with snow and ice, that autos were a big no-no

Has this also changed?

Also has anyone else swapped over from a Manual to an auto after a long time driving manuals. Any comments?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

For me it’d depend on what sort of car you were buying, petrol / diesel, and your likely mileage.

Big car, diesel and a fair amount of traffic I’d be going auto definitely. Can’t stand driving manual diesels in traffic. Does my head in. Removes the potential DMF failure too, although auto boxes can of course go wrong,

ski
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to mention use

Il only do 6-10k a year, I work outdoors, which means I have to lug quite a bit of kit and weight about sometimes and my work takes me up quite a few forest and farm tracks, which vary in condition quite a bit.

Most of my work colleges run land rovers or 4×4’s, but moan all the time about running costs.

Never had a problem yet with 2wd but did wonder if the combo of 2wd bad muddy tracks and a auto box, lugging a dead weight of wood about, might not be a good idea 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Plenty of big offroad 4x4s out there with auto.

I have an auto of a kind, DSG7 in a Skoda Fabia VRS, but my circumstances are very different. I don’t need to lug things up dirt tracks very often, thank goodness!!

I do love the auto, though. Just makes things easier.

Rachel

yetim
    Free Member

Recently changed to a auto all be it a triptronic one (can do manual) and I don’t think I’ll by a manual again. It’s just so much easier with no real draw backs that I have found so far, 1 month in.

djglover
    Free Member

Manual gear boxes are on the way out..

Love the auto in mine, you can use it in manual and set off in second in the snow for example (not that this helps particularly in a BMW 😀 )

Trekster

The Yanks and Canadians manage fine, but they use great big engines 💡
    For offroad and forest roads you can just select a low gear and trundle along at whatever speed you like.
    As a mechanic yrs ago I used to drive both and an auto box on a big engine was always good.
    Some cars may need an extra oil cooler to cool gearbox oil if towing or being used as you might be, lugging loads
    Bit out of touch nowadays but would certainly have an auto if I wanted a big car/engine combo

spooky_b329

The modern auto’s like DSG use a normal clutch, so if you are reversing trailers about and driving slowly on rough tracks, it will slip the clutch just like you would in a manual and wear it out. Old fashioned torque converters are better for this type of work (especially with an oil cooler) but nothing like as good for economy.

I’ve driven a DSG type auto a few times and can’t help feeling that in ice/snow, the way the power comes in would make it difficult to eek out the litte grip there is, and you have to stop on the brakes against the torque of the engine which would presumably be interesting unless you slotted it into neutral as you came to a stop.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks spooky, some interesting points for me to read up on

Brainflex

Another thing in favour of autos is that they are so easy when driving back from a big ride, pop it in D n cruise home.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go for auto if you can but not those with DSG normal clutch thingy.

Toyota Hilux does auto gear twin cab pickup (well, in the far east they this version not sure about UK) but then if I am not mistaken it’s two wheel rather than four or at least not the permanent 4 wheel.

If you are buying a car auto is the way to go but again not those with clutch DSG lame stuff.

I have auto and it’s so relaxing to drive.

Kryton57

Auto with a big engine. I’ve a 3.0 litre Beemer. Absolutely purrs on motorways, is easy in town and has sport / manual overide.

I do miss the manual interaction though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

The Yanks and Canadians manage fine, but they use great big engines

I drove a Pontiac G5 (?) auto in Canada for 2 weeks in 2009. 2.2 litres is not a great big engine.

Flew into Calgary, stayed in Canmore, did Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway, Banff, Calgary. 2 nights in Calgary then through the Rockies to Vancouver, and back again. No idea how much fuel I used as Canada is km/litres like Europe, but it was about the same price in dollars as we paid in sterling at the time, and at 1.70ish CAD to the pound, that was not unreasonable.

I definitely would consider an auto for my next car – since I passed my test in 91 I’ve had 3 Renaults, 2 Alfas, a Beemer & a Saab, currently driving a Citroen – every one of them a manual.

garage-dweller

I debated this last time i bought. I went manual (big heavy lump diesel) and it has been perfectly liveable with. BUT if I have another large diesel for work miles it stands a better than evens chance of being an auto. For me I spend a lot of time driving for work and when the traffic and weatheris awful its tiring and makes my legs and knees ache. An hour of stop go traffic is enough to do my nut in a manual diesel.

For a smaller petrol car would stick with a manual. The action of the clutch and gearbox is lighter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My Next car will be a big auto

Basil

Modern cars, if it’s not a sports car as long as as the auto has a selectable gear function can not see the purpose of a manual no more.

robhughes
    Free Member

if it’s not a sports car as long as as the auto has a selectable gear function can not see the purpose of a manual no more.

BMW E39 sport auto with full auto,manual and sport auto gearbox.Simply amazing to drive. 😉

Trekster

john_drummer – Member
    The Yanks and Canadians manage fine, but they use great big engines
    I drove a Pontiac G5 (?) auto in Canada for 2 weeks in 2009. 2.2 litres is not a great big engine.

Me to, couple of yrs ago up in Saskatchewan – Saskatoon area.
    I was thinking more about the huge utes which seemed to outnumber cars in the area!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I also had an auto in Canada and while that had about the same size engine (2.5L) as my car back home, in the rental it wasn’t enough to make it fun to drive. Not a problem on holiday but would be boring long term. My own car has enough power that it’s still fun to drive.

I’ve got an auto now after years of running manuals and like it well enough. Ok when I’m driving for fun on twisty roads a manual would be better but the auto is pretty good and much better round town etc. I don’t like auto’s with small engines though (lthough my wife does – she has a 1.4L auto Honda Jazz.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Auto’s are going through a re-birth at moment and it goes like this:

Most modern cars like BMW 8 speed ones are awesome, they have equal emissions to manuals, change gears quicker and are jolt free and seamless. They are becoming more and more common and it probably saves the manufacturers fortunes in warranty claims as manual diesels eat expensive dual mass flywheel based clutches. Auto’s rarely eat clutches.

Recent year auto’s are like VW’s DSG which has two clutches, making a clutch change MEGA money, well over £1500 so if going second hand make sure it’s been serviced. Emissions and economy similar to manual too.

Hybrids use CVT’s which have infinite amount of gears and Audi’s multitronic is the same but improved. Weird to drive though because it feels like it needs to change gear the whole way through the rev range then when you settle at your speed it changes gear to improve economy

Beyond that, everything else is old hat, emissions are crap so your tax will be high and economy not so great…..

bland

Every time I used to drive the wife’s old auto I used to near enough send myself through the windscreen when ” dipping the clutch”

allthegear
    Free Member

Ha ha – yes, I’ve done that a couple of times since picking mine up!!

Rachel

Lifer
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people choose manual, but then neither do most people when asked.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve never understood the “makes for a more involving experience” thing.

I used to have an Impreza and, as fun as it was, the main weakness was my ability to change gears quickly, change down well under braking etc etc. in the new car, I can spend more time driving and changing gear is just a click on the steering wheel – an instant and perfect gear change each and every time. I just go faster.

The experience is just better.

Rachel

russ295
    Free Member

Volvo xc60. Auto. Wouldn’t go back to manual at all.
    Superb in the snow/mud, put in 3 and away you go.

falkirk-mark

My mrs has an auto civic and I hate driving it in comparison to my C5.Dunno if its the gearbox, the crap mpg or the harsh ride. This probably doesn’t help the OP but my tuppence worth anyway

Woody
    Free Member

I had my auto (Saab 9-5) for a couple of months now and going back to manual would take some serious consideration as auto is just so much easier. My driving is in mainly semi-rural/rural and TBH under normal driving conditions I don’t miss manual at all and it town it’s a pleasure.
    The last auto I owned had a London commute and it was even better there.

I did have a problem in the snow but winter tyres cured that and in fairness the old tyres were quite worn. As far as speed goes, in real terms I notice very little difference as my new car is quick enough anyway (185bhp) and with a fast kick down and sports mode, overtaking is no problem.

I mainly drive a manual car at work and having a manual is useful in certain circumstances but far general motoring I’m pretty well sold on auto.

chewkw
    Free Member

In the UK there are so many roundabouts and traffic lights that driving a manual car means you have an extra “thing” to consider, rather than concentrating on the road etc.

sbob
    Free Member

allthegear – Member

I’ve never understood the “makes for a more involving experience” thing.

I used to have an Impreza and, as fun as it was, the main weakness was my ability to change gears quickly, change down well under braking etc etc. in the new car, I can spend more time driving and changing gear is just a click on the steering wheel – an instant and perfect gear change each and every time. I just go faster.

The experience is just better.

Sounds like you’re not comparing a traditional torque converter auto with a manual though.
    Drive one of those and you’ll quickly understand why manual gearboxes are more desireable.

allthegear
    Free Member

No, this is true – I’d never driven an automatic until I bought this car in February.

I just assumed that traditional autos “felt” just like my DSG.

Rachel

sbob
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

I don’t understand why people choose manual, but then neither do most people when asked.

Proven technology, cheaper, more efficient and more direct control for starters.

sbob
    Free Member

allthegear – Member

No, this is true – I’d never driven an automatic until I bought this car in February.

Rachel

You can get quite a delay between your right foot and actual accelleration occuring, which is fine for day to day driving once you’re used to it but horrible for spirited driving on the track for example.
    I drive a CVT auto which is even stranger and definitely takes a little getting used to.
    Imagine the gears on a bike but instead of sprockets and a chain you have a cone and a belt, so there is no step between one gear and the next, the ratio just gradually goes up and down.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Auto or manual – time for a new car?’ is closed to new replies.