Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Auto Electrician Types….
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Fiddling with wife’s car today in the footwell I came across some wires dangling under the dash, it seems to be a tom tom 12v plug with black insulation tape around it and cables coming from that. I haven’t traced it as it disappears under steering wheel.

I can’t think what its for, only thing I see out of the norm is a sensor or microphone thing up by the ultrasonic alarm sensors. Car was bought recently so its not our handy work.

Any ideas?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Bump….

it has a connector attached to a cable like an adaptor. Should or could I cut it all off?.

michaelbowden

some tom tom’s had built in bluetooth to act as a handsfree kit which probably explaints the microphone.

Dont just cut if the wires are live, you need to trace it back to where its been cut in to the cars loom and remove properly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if its not affecting the car in anyway – id leave it.

ive still got a tracking device wired up in my car (with the power cut so its no longer tracking) from the previous owner.

figured the cars electrics wont be the same once i let all the smoke out so best just leaving it there.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Cheers for that, I hate loose ends 😀

VanMan
    Free Member

Or does it look a bit like this?

in which case trace it back to the fuse box. Picture is of an add in 12v socket which can be used to hide sat-nav, or dash cam, cabling when they are permanently connected

bigbloke
    Free Member

Not that ^^^^^^^

It is a tom tom charger cable like you plug into a cigarette lighter all taped up with an adaptor cable and the microphone thingy up top. I guess its a bodged hard wired Bluetooth. Its annoying I know it is there, I may cable tie it away far away from my prying eyes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d trace it back and remove it, if its been bodged in there in the first place, I’d be happier knowing it was gone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Auto Electrician Types….’ is closed to new replies.