Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • autism
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

just watching a programmme on bbc three…..called 'autistic superstars'… and one lad came on and sang "sweet disposition" by "Temper Trap"… now that song is very hard to copy and this autism lad sang it so brilliantly….. im litterally blown away by these superstars ! good for them..
    its wierd how there minds work cos when they perform you wouldnt think anything was wrong with them but as soon as they stop performing they are back in their own little worlds agin…….. they are brilliant… 😉

aP
    Free Member

Are "This autism lad" touring?

sam42
    Free Member

i think the whole thing is is insulting, patronising and morally questionable. Not to mention terrible television.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sam42 – Member

i think the whole thing is is insulting, patronising and morally questionable.

I agree.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well u lot shud take a back seat ? They have autism and no he didnt 'sound like a 'spaz' mr pooch as you put it……. these people are gifted in their own way…have a heart ! obviously you dont have one… 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a heart. I don't like making entertainment out of people who are "different"

sam42
    Free Member

these people are gifted in their own way

classic

jahwomble
    Free Member

"He sounded like a spaz"

I think that you have autism and cerebral palsy confused.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

"different", gifted, spaz, we all have our preconceptions. Do any of you have autistic relatives?

rkk01
    Free Member

Didn't see the programme, but dismayed by some of the views being expressed here…

Garry_Lager

Have you any experience with autism elaine anne? Show any parent with an autistic kid that imbecilic tv programme you're talking about and they'll laugh in your face. It's an extremely tough condition to deal with for all concerned – the clueless talking about how talented these wee special autistic kids are just sets things back further.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Yes, actually my son is autistic, and my neice has cerebral palsy, which used to be known as spasticity. There is quite a clear diference in their disabilities and the way that they show them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do any of you have autistic relatives?

Yeah I do, and I think "you wouldnt think anything was wrong with them" was a poor choice of words by elaine anne. I don't consider there is anything "wrong" at all with my nephew. Although I do accept, as TJ points out, that he is different. Didn't see the programme btw.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

does he like to be called 'that autism lad'?

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I have an Autistic brother and (due to a misdiagnosis) a lot of my oldest friends are somewhere on the autistic spectrum. The whole concept of the program is patronising and horrendous and I would never consider watching it, shame on whoever came up with it!

Yes, it's nice to see that people with disabilities can do well, but in the context of a "reality" type-show it's exploitative and inhumane. There are lots of really good documentaries about autistic families, watch those instead of this trash.

elaineanne
    Free Member

sorry, my words were a little wrong i didnt mean " anything wrong with them " specifically', just that they had autism -surely you knew what i meant…. but whatever, i still think they are gifted in their own way ? is that hard to understand ??? geez some people are hard to understand/get through to 😕 on ere … forget it… let me get back to discussing orange bikes on another thread…lol

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

surely you knew what i meant

Yes I did …… that's why I only described it as "a poor choice of words" and didn't give you a hard time about it 🙂

jahwomble
    Free Member

It's ok Elaine Anne,was not you I was answering to 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and (due to a misdiagnosis) a lot of my oldest friends are somewhere on the autistic spectrum

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. It's not caused by diagnosis or contagious

sam42
    Free Member

i'm not overly keen on oranges either… 😆

Bez

I've got an autistic brother, two autistic fathers, nine autistic sons and an autistic daughter, fifteen autistic cousins, an autistic cat and a hamster with mild Asperger's.

Tragically, however, I have no opinion which these unimpeachable credentials can underwrite.

loulouk
    Free Member

I get you elaine. But programmes like this make me uncomfortable for the reasons other people have explained above. It's awkard cos neurologically it's fascinating, but who wants to look at other people like neurology subjects. But I sort of assumed that's what you were focusing on, the fascination with how other peoples brain work differently, not on the fact their brains are different. If that makes sense? And on that, I agree totally cos me too.

konabunny
    Free Member

Sounds like a patronising pile of arse of a programme.

user-removed
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

and (due to a misdiagnosis) a lot of my oldest friends are somewhere on the autistic spectrum

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. It's not caused by diagnosis or contagious

Everyone is "somewhere" on the spectrum…

konabunny
    Free Member

No, they're not.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

perhaps it's such a vague term its meaning is unclear, or maybe one extreme of the spectrum is "normal" ? In that case I'm wondering if there's also an empath spectrum, and what the disadvantages of excessive empathy might be ?

julianwilson
    Free Member

what the disadvantages of excessive empathy might be ?

😆 I don't think anyone that posts on here would be able to imagine having excessive empathy. Of course I include myself in that comment.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don't think anyone that posts on here would be able to imagine having excessive empathy.

IMO not experiencing empathy may not exclude grasping that it might exist, possibly to excess…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have met people with excessive empathy, and imo it is a serious condition which can cause a serious level of depression……..not something which I would wish on anyone.

maxray
    Free Member

I caught the end of the program and it made me feel quite emotional. Not a fan of these sort of exploitive progs but the drummer and the two singers really seemed to be cuffed with their efforts/ achievement of playing to an audience. I felt really pleased they had had the chance to do it tbh.

samuri
    Free Member

I would have thought autism was an almost essential requirement for the modern day pop star. Watch someone play the song, copy them. Bingo!

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

There are quite a few "theories" regarding autism and as yet no consensus. One of the most common ideas is that we are all somewhere on the spectrum, with empathy at one end and systemising at the other. If you want an interesting perspective, check out Simon Baron-Cohen's "the extreme male brain theory of autism" – a very readable version is his book "The Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male Brain."

Autism is the area of research I am involved in. I do find it difficult to watch programmes like the one mentioned in this thread, as I think there's a fine line between celebrating the strengths of those with autism and turning it all into an unnecessary spectacle. Difficult one really, but there are some incredible stories, as well as heart-breaking ones.

maxray
    Free Member

Yup hear what your sayin secret squirrel.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘autism’ is closed to new replies.