Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Austrian presidential election annulled.
  • sbob
    Free Member
    slowoldman

Nice map eh? Makes you think. No, it really does.

welshfarmer

So how come they didn’t add UKIP to the map?

They sort of mention UKIP at the bottom of the map – better in opinion poll and EU elections

alpin
    Free Member

Was talking to an Austrian friend on Friday. She reckoned that if a similar vote to Brexit was held in Austria it’d be over 70% leave.
    Quite a dark nationalistic undertone in the country, and supposedly there always has been.

Sad and potentially worrying times across Europe.

Sundayjumper

As my friend (a history teacher) is always very keen to point out – after WW2 there was a process of de-nazification in Germany, to educate the population about what had gone on.

This wasn’t done in Austria.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry missed this and posted same in EU thread.

The Brexit negotiations might look very different in 2017 – France, Germany and maybe Austria (President can call a GE) could have very different governments by then

As many of have said eurosceptism and outright EU hostility is strong throughout Europe

@alpin the EU had a chance to reform and it refused. I could well see a GE called in Austria with manifestos promising a referendum. People need to stop thinking about this as the rise of the far right and more the rejection of the EU by a broad swath of the population across the political spectrum

robdixon
    Free Member

People need to stop thinking about this as the rise of the far right and more the rejection of the EU by a broad swath of the population across the political spectrum

+1. The brexit vote is a measure of the willingness of un-elected Commission officials to listen to the concerns of citizens in Europe and secondly to adjust they way they manage the EU to reflect this.

There’s a great article by Henry Kissinger in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/out-of-the-brexit-turmoil-opportunity-1467151419

The EU “will not wish to reward Britain’s Leave majority by granting Britain better terms than it enjoyed as a full member. Hence a punitive element is likely to be inherent in the EU bargaining position.

Many of us who have grown up with and admired the vision of European unity hope that the EU will transcend itself, by seeking its vocation not in penalizing the recalcitrant but by negotiating in a manner that restores the prospects of unity. The EU should not treat Britain as an escapee from prison but as a potential compatriot.

Punishing the U.K. will not solve the question of how to operate a common currency in the absence of a common fiscal policy among countries with disparate economic capacities, or of how to define a union whose ability to achieve common political strategies lags fundamentally behind its economic and administrative capacities.

By the same token, Britain needs to put forward the concept of autonomy for which its people voted in a manner that embraces ultimate cooperation. Britain and Europe together must consider how they might return, at least partially, to their historical role as shapers of international order.”

alpin
    Free Member

Sorry… Not trying to imply that with a large EU exit vote means they’re far right,just there is a lot of EU animosity there.

But, there is,however a strong right leaning faction in Austria.

Can’t see a far right candidate coming so close to being elected here in Germany.

colp

It’s worrying. I was in our local there in 2012 watching the footy and some local halfwit was openly chanting n****r at the screen. Nobody batted an eyelid. Luckily my wife (mixed race) didn’t hear him or there would have been murder.
    They’re still 50 years behind in many ways.

philxx1975
    Free Member

their historical role as shapers of international order.

That’s what gets us in the s**t to start with we should just let folks get on with it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@colp same or even worse in Spain. Given the lack of progress you do wonder whether the free movement of people within the EU isn’t in some small way a kind of pro-white closet racism. Freedom of movement for EU nationals is ok but the influx of Arabs has been a huge problem ?

sbob
    Free Member

Freedom of movement for EU nationals

Who can look vastly different.

Your attempt to deflect the fact that a large part of the leave side’s vote was based on racism and xenophobia has failed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not least because he just played the card and , incredulously, both ways 😯

Given the lack of progress you do wonder whether the free movement of people within the EU isn’t in some small way a kind of pro-white closet racism

NO only you could actually think this

one may as well argue that because most UL folk are white and they can move freely about the Uk that this is some sort of pro-white closet racism

Freedom of movement for EU nationals is ok but the influx of Arabs has been a huge problem ?

Not all forms of racism are in the closet eh 🙄

I never realised how easily you could contradict yourself and on so many different levels.
    Forgive me I misunderestimated your skills

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lets see what happens. I predict post Brexit referendum we’ll see 57/43 for Hofer as the opportunity for real chnage now exists. His win to be followed by dissolution of Parliament and fresh elections

CountZero

Sundayjumper – Member
    As my friend (a history teacher) is always very keen to point out – after WW2 there was a process of de-nazification in Germany, to educate the population about what had gone on.

This wasn’t done in Austria.
    You only have to read Bill Bryson’s comments about Austria in his book about his wandering around Europe to realise that, and he was an American, so somewhat unbiased.

philxx1975
    Free Member

What is the purpose of Austria ?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Alpine walking holidays, speck? Off for a couple of weeks end of month. 4th year in a row. Feeling a bit guilty now.
    Wet days have been spent in museums etc and took us 3 years to find any reference to 3rd Reich……

iolo
    Free Member

I live in the region where Hofer – the right wing president wannabe comes from. I have to admit I don’t suffer any racism whatsoever even though I’m an Auslander. There were many irregularities with the voting though – 15 year olds were somehow allowed to vote, claims of whole villages missed from the count and so on. There was only about 30,000 votes separating both candidates so it makes sense to revote.

http://www.thelocal.at/20160701/austrian-court-annuls-presidential-election-result-after-far-right-challenge

MrSmith
    Free Member

They make very good wine but most stays in the country, had a very nice Grüner Veltliner from Wachau the other day and have a blaufränkish lined up for this weekend.

colp

Mountains with great trails (that have taken countless hours of work, not the magical skid down a hill and make a trail ones).
    Mountains with great ski pistes and back country
    Fantastic beer, half the price of French stuff
    Strudel
    Pork

jambalaya
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

Agree with you colp, other than the bier thing. Austrian beer is a bit naff. Drinkable, but not a touch on that from their Bavarian neighbours.

Oh, and you forgot Kaiserschmarrn.

hammerite
    Free Member

And Gröstl and germknoddel and kasespatzl…. It goes on.

I go for a week there, spend 35 hours partaking in sport (well sliding down mountains) and still come home heavier than when I went.

alpin
    Free Member

Kaasspätz is Schwäbisch…. The area to the east of the Black Forest.

Germknödel is, depending on who you talk to, either Bavarian or from Tyrol.

However Gröstl is Austrian, but the Swiss might try and lay claim to that, too.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ve not researched the origins, I just know it’s what I like to eat when I’m in Austria!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Austrian presidential election annulled.’ is closed to new replies.