Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Austarlia not an island? (Human Planet content)
  • scruzer
    Free Member

According to tonight’s programme Papua New Guinea is the worlds second largest island. I contest this; 1 being Greenland, 2 being Australia. Searching google sites Ausralia is not listed in any top 20 largest islands… But for example Ireland, Iceland, Great Britain, Madagascar are..? What going on folks??

scruzer
    Free Member

Whoops even Australia…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It is apparently a continent. I say it’s an island and that folk are just talking bobbins.

chvck
    Free Member

Guess it depends how you define ‘island’, it is pretty damn big!

robidoo
    Free Member

Sky burial looks grim.

DezB
    Free Member

Fed to the vultures! What a way to go…I wonder if I can add that to my will instead of a boring woodland burial…?

robidoo
    Free Member

Not suprised the sons fecked off out of there.

boxelder

It’s the main land mass on the Australasian continental plate. Smaller sections on the continent are islands – linked below sea level to Australia by continental shelf, like that under the North and Irish Seas.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

scruzer – I contest this; 1 being Greenland, 2 being Australia

I contest this, 1 being Australia, 2 being Greenland.

Anyway here’s a pub quiz question for you;

What was the largest island in the world before Australia was discovered?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Erm – it was Australia. Just because it hadnt been discovered doesnt mean that it wasnt there. 😀

Kuco

I always thought Australia was a continental land mass.

scruzer
    Free Member

Ok further research tells us its a continental landmass and not an island. Suppose its like saying America (that is Canada, States, Central and South)is an island, except its not just like Australia…

djglover
    Free Member

If you are going to say Australia why not Asia, Antarctica or America.

Because they are continents you DORK

ton

this program and bruce parry’s arctic are the best tv there has been for years……. 8)

Drac

What was the largest island in the world before Australia was discovered?

Same as now as Australia isn’t an island.

bighendo
    Free Member

bruce parry, true hero!

scruzer
    Free Member

We all now agree then, Australia is not an island. Thanks Human Planet for correcting my geographical knowledge/light bulb moment 💡

ahwiles
    Free Member

australia is the largest discrete landmass on the indo-australian tectonic plate.

and that’s one way to define a continent – it’s as good as any other.

CaptJon
    Free Member

scruzer – Member
    According to tonight’s programme Papua New Guinea is the worlds second largest island. I contest this; 1 being Greenland, 2 being Australia.

Australia is over three times the size of Greenland – is your map broken?

Northwind

ton – Member

this program and bruce parry’s arctic are the best tv there has been for years…….

Bruce Parry’s been great. And it’s weird because all he’s doing is wandering around and asking everyone “How does it make you feel” but he’s really, really good at asking that question.

Ewan
    Free Member

Australia is over three times the size of Greenland – is your map broken?

Probably using the wrong projection – the one you normally see in the Uk shows greenland being bigger than austrilia, which is obviously not the case

simonralli2
    Free Member

What’s Bruce been up to? I can’t get it on the BBC iplayer over here. Any quick summaries?

ahwiles
    Free Member

the same old tosh.

the producers round up a load of native-looking fellows, and pay them to put some feathers on their heads and invite Bruce to partake in an ‘initiation ceremony’ – which usually results in Bruce hallucinating, and vomiting.

apparently it’s all very ‘traditional’ and hugely insulting if he doesn’t drink a bucket of yak piss.

😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

if australia is an island so is America surely?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ewan – Member
    Probably using the wrong projection – the one you normally see in the Uk shows greenland being bigger than austrilia, which is obviously not the case

I love showing people a mercator next to a peters.. Greenland 14 times smaller than Africa? Not on my map!

Ever asked someone to draw a map of the world without any reference material? That usually reveals a lot about people’s world view.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you include continents then Europe, Africa and Asia all together are the largest island 🙂 Then possibly that long thin one across the bottom of the map. Speaking of which, the South coast of Antarctica really is very very long and straight, isn’t it? That must be a hell of a beach. Why don’t they do land speed record testing there?

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s Bruce been up to? I can’t get it on the BBC iplayer over here

http://www.witopia.net

Now you can be everywhere.. like me…

CaptJon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    If you include continents then Europe, Africa and Asia all together are the largest island Then possibly that long thin one across the bottom of the map. Speaking of which, the South coast of Antarctica really is very very long and straight, isn’t it? That must be a hell of a beach. Why don’t they do land speed record testing there?

Polar bears get in the way.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe some kind of polar bear deflector shield?

zokes
    Free Member

It’s an island continent. Make of that what you will….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Austarlia not an island? (Human Planet content)’ is closed to new replies.