Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Auftrag komplett….my Nicolai.
  • nickegg
    Free Member

After just 3 weeks wait i recieved my Helius AM frame last Wednesday. Built it up in 3 hours that night and it’s first ride was a very muddy commute into Bristol yesterday. It’s every bit as good as i hoped and feels just right.

Spec is:

Nicolai Helius AM (Medium),
    Fox DHX Air (215×64),
    Fox 32 RL 150,
    Full XT drivetrain,
    DT 440/Stans Flow rear wheel with Maxxis Ardent tyre,
    Hope Pro2/Mavic XM819 front wheel with Maxxis Ignitor tyre,
    Hope Mini Mono brakes,
    Hope headset,BB,rear wheel skewer.
    Chromag Fubars Acute bar,
    Thomson seatpost and stem,
    Salsa Flip-lock seat clamp,
    Madison Flux saddle,
    Superstar Nano-tech pedals,
    ODI Ruffian lock-on grips.

It weighs in at 32lbs.

I had some doubt regarding the forks but the new slacker head angle (66.5) on the Helius means despite fitting the shorter A to C of the 32’s, the head angle is still pretty slack. It feels good to me, time will tell i suppose.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Very nice 😀

nickegg
    Free Member

Compliments on yours BTW 😀

andylux
    Free Member

Das ist sehr gut.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nick that is very nice indeed – welcome to the (exclusive) club 8)

Seems heavy though for the build you have. I’ve had my large, painted AM built up with an air can and Fox 32s before now and it came in quite happily under 30lbs. I know the new ones are slightly heavier (I think by about 200g?) in order to allow them to run a 170mm fork, but that’s enough to account for why yours is coming in at 32lbs. Not that I think it makes much difference ! Here’s mine; in this guise it’s also showing as weighing 32.5lbs.

The slacker head angle is a great thing though. When I ran mine with the 32s I really did find that the drop in the front end made the bike want to tuck under on steep turns so I switched back to a longer fork, but other than that the 32 was a great way of saving 2lbs in weight overa coil sprung Lyrik.

toys19
    Free Member

V Smart.

nickegg
    Free Member

I’m not convinced the shop scales are actually calibrated but despite 32lbs sounding alot, it certainly doesn’t feel like it when pedalling.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Very nice indeed

nickegg
    Free Member

Geetee: Just read your post properly. 32.5lbs with CCDB and Fox 36!!! Surely not, one of us has used duff scales i reckon.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nick I would agree; thing is that I’ve weighed mine on two different scales and they both come out within a few ounces of each other. I’ve also been (very) anal about it and built a list of all the components and their weights which tallies with the scales.

I think yours weighs materially less than 32lbs. But like you said, it’s how it rides that counts!

Have fun. Where are you based?

rOcKeTdOg

Nice commuter

Chainline
    Free Member

Mine has dhx air but Fox 36’s, dropper post and Hammerschizle and its 33lbs.

nickegg
    Free Member

Looks like i must be the one with duff scales then! Nevermind 😀

Geetee: I’m Bristol based so ride the South Wales trail centres, Mendips, Quantocks, Brecon Beacons and local stuff too.

pinches
    Free Member

Der ist ein Eichhörnchen im mein fernsehen 🙁

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

That seat tube gusset makes the whole thing awesome. Geetee’s components on Nick’s frame, please.

Phwoar.

nickegg
    Free Member

Pinches: ‘Is there a Squirrel in my TV’?!!!!

pinches
    Free Member

yeah, just thought i’d throw the only german sentence i know out there.

BTW, i bloody love nicolais! i really want an AC for next year.

nickegg
    Free Member

Outstandingly random german knowledge you have there Pinches! 😀

pinches
    Free Member

Jah, Aber die gabelstapler felt im meinem bad 😉

Out of interest, which dealer did you go through to buy your nicolai?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Auftrag komplett….my Nicolai.’ is closed to new replies.